Plastic chrome fin trim

D

David Chapman

Guest
In Celina we talked about the thin plastic chrome trim that is available on
a roll from NAPA and looks OK for an everyday Amphicar, or an Amphicar that
is used in docks a lot where the trim around the lights gets scratched.

Someone (might have been Billy) also mentioned a thicker version is
available that looks closer to the original but has to be ordered ? I think
he said it might be commonly used on the doors of trucks ?

Anyone remember this conversation and even better does anyone have a
description or part number of the product ? I assume if it's a NAPA product
it is available across the US ? I'd like to get hold of some when I'm in the
US later this year.

David C
 
G

goob@twcny.rr.com

Guest
Dave - It's "chrome" door edge guard. This product has been available for years,
in fact I used it on Amphicars back in the '70's ! It adheres well (it is self
adhesive) but doesn't like sharp bends like the end of the fin. This is where a
blow drier comes in handy. It should be readily available at any auto supply
(paint/body related) store, and is very inexpensive! We usually purchase it in
50 foot rolls for use at our shop. Gary.

----- Original Message -----
From: David Chapman <david@manbus.com>
Date: Monday, August 30, 2004 5:44 am
Subject: [amphicar-lovers] Plastic chrome fin trim

> In Celina we talked about the thin plastic chrome trim that is
> available on
> a roll from NAPA and looks OK for an everyday Amphicar, or an
> Amphicar that
> is used in docks a lot where the trim around the lights gets
> scratched.
> Someone (might have been Billy) also mentioned a thicker version is
> available that looks closer to the original but has to be ordered
> ? I think
> he said it might be commonly used on the doors of trucks ?
>
> Anyone remember this conversation and even better does anyone have a
> description or part number of the product ? I assume if it's a
> NAPA product
> it is available across the US ? I'd like to get hold of some when
> I'm in the
> US later this year.
>
> David C
>
>
>
> ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------
> ~-->
> Yahoo! Autos. Everything you need to know about buying
> or selling a car. FREE Quotes, 360? Tours, Research,
> Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used
> http://us.click.yahoo.com/kEZsdA/bwnGAA/YiGOAA/xiTolB/TM
> -------------------------------------------------------------------
> -~->
>
> THE AMPHICAR-LOVERS LIST
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Before posting requests for information, please check the List
> Archives:
> http://www.escribe.com/automotive/amphicar/search.html
> For more information about this List and other available services
> visit:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amphicar-lovers/
> To UNsubscribe from this List, just send a blank email to:
> amphicar-lovers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
> Any other issues may be addressed to the List owner (Mike Israel) at:
> amphicar770@yahoo.com
> This list is provided as a free service. Please support our
> sponsors at:
> http://www.growerflower.com/default.asp?id=41762
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
>
>
 
M

Mike Israel

Guest
Pep Boys (a big auto parts chain in the US) carries
the thicker chrome trim. They call it door edge guard
for trucks/SUVs.


--- David Chapman <david@manbus.com> wrote:

> In Celina we talked about the thin plastic chrome
> trim that is available on
> a roll from NAPA and looks OK for an everyday
> Amphicar, or an Amphicar that
> is used in docks a lot where the trim around the
> lights gets scratched.
>
> Someone (might have been Billy) also mentioned a
> thicker version is
> available that looks closer to the original but has
> to be ordered ? I think
> he said it might be commonly used on the doors of
> trucks ?
>
> Anyone remember this conversation and even better
> does anyone have a
> description or part number of the product ? I
> assume if it's a NAPA product
> it is available across the US ? I'd like to get hold
> of some when I'm in the
> US later this year.
>
> David C
>
>
 
W

WB6WSN

Guest
----- Original Message -----
From: goob@twcny.rr.com
To: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 4:42 AM
Subject: Re: [amphicar-lovers] Plastic chrome fin trim


Dave - It's "chrome" door edge guard. This product has been available for
years, in fact I used it on Amphicars back in the '70's ! It adheres well (it is
self adhesive) but doesn't like sharp bends like the end of the fin. This is
where a blow drier comes in handy. It should be readily available at any auto
supply (paint/body related) store, and is very inexpensive! We usually purchase
it in 50 foot rolls for use at our shop. Gary.

----- Original Message -----
From: David Chapman <david@manbus.com>
Date: Monday, August 30, 2004 5:44 am
Subject: [amphicar-lovers] Plastic chrome fin trim

> In Celina we talked about the thin plastic chrome trim that is
> available on
> a roll from NAPA and looks OK for an everyday Amphicar, or an
> Amphicar that
> is used in docks a lot where the trim around the lights gets
> scratched.
> Someone (might have been Billy) also mentioned a thicker version is
> available that looks closer to the original but has to be ordered
> ? I think
> he said it might be commonly used on the doors of trucks ?


Gary:

Could you give us some better detailed tips about how you heat and form that
plastic strip around the tips of the rear fins? Do you cut any relief slits into
the radius? How do you keep from rippling or creasing the sides as you form it
to that rather sharp radius? Any specific do's and don'ts would be helpful.

Thanks,

Ed Price
El Cajon, CA
67 Rust Guppy


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
 
G

goob@twcny.rr.com

Guest
----- Original Message -----
From: WB6WSN <wb6wsn@cox.net>
Date: Sunday, September 5, 2004 8:23 pm
Subject: Re: [amphicar-lovers] Plastic chrome fin trim

>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: goob@twcny.rr.com
> To: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 4:42 AM
> Subject: Re: [amphicar-lovers] Plastic chrome fin trim
> Ed - That's the problem with this "inexpensive" remedy to tail fin trim -
you'll end up with too much material on that severe curve. I use the thin stuff
because of this. Heating the material is trial and error. For an "everyday" car,
I think it works well. Gary.
>
> Dave - It's "chrome" door edge guard. This product has been
> available for years, in fact I used it on Amphicars back in the
> '70's ! It adheres well (it is self adhesive) but doesn't like
> sharp bends like the end of the fin. This is where a blow drier
> comes in handy. It should be readily available at any auto supply
> (paint/body related) store, and is very inexpensive! We usually
> purchase it in 50 foot rolls for use at our shop. Gary.
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: David Chapman <david@manbus.com>
> Date: Monday, August 30, 2004 5:44 am
> Subject: [amphicar-lovers] Plastic chrome fin trim
>
> > In Celina we talked about the thin plastic chrome trim that is
> > available on
> > a roll from NAPA and looks OK for an everyday Amphicar, or an
> > Amphicar that
> > is used in docks a lot where the trim around the lights gets
> > scratched.
> > Someone (might have been Billy) also mentioned a thicker
> version is
> > available that looks closer to the original but has to be
> ordered
> > ? I think
> > he said it might be commonly used on the doors of trucks ?
>
>
> Gary:
>
> Could you give us some better detailed tips about how you heat and
> form that plastic strip around the tips of the rear fins? Do you
> cut any relief slits into the radius? How do you keep from
> rippling or creasing the sides as you form it to that rather sharp
> radius? Any specific do's and don'ts would be helpful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ed Price
> El Cajon, CA
> 67 Rust Guppy
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------
> ~-->
> Yahoo! Autos. Everything you need to know about buying
> or selling a car. FREE Quotes, 360? Tours, Research,
> Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used
> http://us.click.yahoo.com/kEZsdA/bwnGAA/YiGOAA/xiTolB/TM
> -------------------------------------------------------------------
> -~->
>
> THE AMPHICAR-LOVERS LIST
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Before posting requests for information, please check the List
> Archives:
> http://www.escribe.com/automotive/amphicar/search.html
> For more information about this List and other available services
> visit:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amphicar-lovers/
> To UNsubscribe from this List, just send a blank email to:
> amphicar-lovers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
> Any other issues may be addressed to the List owner (Mike Israel) at:
> amphicar770@yahoo.com
> This list is provided as a free service. Please support our
> sponsors at:
> http://www.growerflower.com/default.asp?id=41762
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
>
>
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DougFromBaltimore Rear Bumper Plastic Strip - How to remove it? General Amphicar Discussion 4
cigarman New Neo/Minichamps plastic models from China General Amphicar Discussion 6
D age plastic plateing General Amphicar Discussion 2
I little white plastic piece needed General Amphicar Discussion 0
A PLASTIC FAN/PULLEY General Amphicar Discussion 0
T Remove Chrome Ring on Gauges General Amphicar Discussion 5
P Chrome in the Southeast? General Amphicar Discussion 3
T New G.Imports Chrome Headlight Trim Ring Problem??? General Amphicar Discussion 1
T Chrome Bilge outlet Pipe General Amphicar Discussion 4
A Bumpers and Chrome General Amphicar Discussion 1
C Chrome General Amphicar Discussion 6
J Wider Simulated Chrome Door Edge Guards General Amphicar Discussion 0
K chrome trim General Amphicar Discussion 0
J Chrome tail pipe tip General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Horn Face Chrome Screw Needed General Amphicar Discussion 0
L Wanted: Chrome window frames General Amphicar Discussion 0
B Aluminum trim Restorations in progress 10
Jon March side-trim sealer: Petroleum jelly / clear dielectric grease General Amphicar Discussion 2
azpaul50 Red Trim General Amphicar Discussion 8
R seats and interior trim panels General Amphicar Discussion 5
M White Amphi With Red Trim - Need pics. General Amphicar Discussion 3
M trim General Amphicar Discussion 0
J Need a Piece of Trim General Amphicar Discussion 0
J SIDE TRIM General Amphicar Discussion 0
M Side Trim Moldings General Amphicar Discussion 0
W side trim mouldings General Amphicar Discussion 0
E Exterior Trim General Amphicar Discussion 3
A Trim tape General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Trim polishing / Bumper repair General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Trim polishing/straightening - Bumper repair General Amphicar Discussion 0
J The Trim From Hell General Amphicar Discussion 1
D Extra Trim General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Head light trim needed General Amphicar Discussion 2
M Amphicar Trim Mouldings General Amphicar Discussion 1
Top