Painting Doors and Hoods

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
For those of you that paint your own cars and have ever wondered how to paint your doors, hoods, and decklids here is a neat set-up that I use. You can paint both sides of the door or panel at the same time. By laying the bracket down you can paint the outside of the door or panel laying flat and AVOID THE INFAMOUS RUN. I made these brackets years ago out of 2x4's held together with long drywall screws and 3/8" all-thread with nuts fastened on inside and outside of door panels. I've painted '65 Mustang, Toyota FJ-40, and now Amphicar doors with the same brackets. I just had to move mounting holes in the 2x4's for the different doors. I haven't painted my Amphicar hood and decklid yet, but the same set-up should work.
Later,
Ted Matthews

Attachments

• Panel paint bracket 001.jpg
    Panel paint bracket 001.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Panel paint bracket 002.jpg
    Panel paint bracket 002.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Panel paint bracket 003.jpg
    Panel paint bracket 003.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Mustang hood.JPG
    Mustang hood.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 97

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
Looks great. It is long road getting to paint. Should be ready for Mt. Dora this year. Later Dave the Wave

Canadian four amphs

Amphicar Expert
Looks great, never would have thought of that,
thats what clubs are for,,sharing Idea's
Thanks for speading the news.
doors hoods and trunks were always a 2 day job before.
GORD SOUTER

Amphicarbudd

For those of you that paint your own cars and have ever wondered how to paint your doors, hoods, and decklids here is a neat set-up that I use. You can paint both sides of the door or panel at the same time. By laying the bracket down you can paint the outside of the door or panel laying flat and AVOID THE INFAMOUS RUN. I made these brackets years ago out of 2x4's held together with long drywall screws and 3/8" all-thread with nuts fastened on inside and outside of door panels. I've painted '65 Mustang, Toyota FJ-40, and now Amphicar doors with the same brackets. I just had to move mounting holes in the 2x4's for the different doors. I haven't painted my Amphicar hood and decklid yet, but the same set-up should work.
Later,
Ted Matthews
great idea ted if your car is apart-------ill use it on my fj---thanks brad anderson island

cigarman

Amphicar Expert
Ted,
Sure beats the blanket on the floor for the flip flop 2 day job of doing doors and hoods & trunk lids.. Saves time and money.. Love it!

Cigarman

PeterP

That looks really slick. One question, I have always heard that you are supposed to paint panels in the orientation they will go on the car. Is that just for paint with flakes, or is it not that big a deal?

howard kauffman

Hi can anyone help with a paint code for the dark green used on the
'berlin' type cars that were converted to right hand drive , regards ,
Howard Kauffman

Howard Kauffman

On 11 Mar 2009, at 04:49 PM, Canadian four amphs <
> wrote:

> Solid colours not important but must be the same batch(can) or could
> be shade out,.
>
>