Original Amphi Key No. 5415?

Bilgemaster

Still rockin' an original Amphi ignition switch, at one time I had a few of those original Amphicar matched ignition and door keys numbered 5415. I think I may have even ordered a couple of spares from the late great Hugh Gordon. If memory serves, there were only a handful of different numbered key types used. Anyhow, with our big move to the new place about ten years ago and the inexorable march of time and a regrettable loss of brain neurons, I seem to have only the single key remaining. Being a prize-winning lunkhead, not having a spare makes me antsy. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I expect that one would sooner obtain weapons-grade plutonium at the local Home Depot as an Amphicar key blank. So, before I turn to Gordon Imports again, I am wondering if anyone might happen to have a 5415 key that's no longer needed just mulching in their old parts bin, since I know lots of folks will replace a dodgy original ignition switch and door lock, leaving little use for their old key or keys.

lost_keys_dog.jpg

jfriese

Mr. Bilge,

You might chase around whatever locksmiths might still be in your area. I'm quite certain that when I restored my cars I was able to find an old locksmith who had both the 5400 and 5500 style of those key blanks. Granted, that was 15 years ago.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Bilgemaster

Thanks! You know, I just might try those old geezers over at the local Ace Hardware affiliate. It's like the hardware store of the Pharoahs, and if they don't have something, they almost always know who will. They even have nicely organized binders for such arcane item referrals, in marked contrast to the blue or red nylon vested high school kids flitting around the aisles of the big box home stuff stores trying their very damnedest not to be spotted by customers, or affecting some sort of profound hearing disorder if they are. Corner them and ask them pretty much anything, including presumably their own names, and they'll just sort of blank out and cock their heads like that dog who ate your last Amphicar key.

Or, I could just call Gordon's, I suppose. I just thought it likely someone might have one or two lying around unneeded.

jfriese

Great response.

If there are any locksmiths around chances are they have been in business for years and might even be more likely to have blanks than your Ace hardware store. I love out local Ace hardware though. They actually employ retired trades people who actually know something. Very rare indeed nowadays. You're also right about their massive backup goodies in their central warehouses. They can get most anything.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
I stock 90% of original # keys..
there were 3 series. 5400 5500 and another more modern set
keys were numbered from 5401- 20 and 5501-20
the cut on a 5404 and 5504 were the SAME BUT THE KEY WAS DIFFERENT
I usually take a key ring with all the keys to Cellina so
this was a good reminder.
I have a 5415 in my hand... $15 pl mail..

Fl stock 084.JPG

jfriese

Gord,

I suspect that third series that you mention must have been either from the 1968 locking steering column version cars or perhaps whatever the key is in the new locks that Gordon's is selling. My White 67 uses the 5500 series key and my VERY late Red 67 uses the 5400 series. I'm also quite certain that these two cars were built at different factories.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
1 705 327 2820 I will be a Herbs in Ohio next week,(wes) $$ can be mailed there.
Hughs are new repros not like any of the 3 originals
#3 says ... example..C104 on 1 side and H U L in fancy print on other side I have a bunch of glove box licks with these keys in them.

peterboz

looking for key no B 1418 for european version with locking steering column cars.
it is stamped at the front of the mount.

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Went to Main post office to mail I(in regular envelope) and they said oh no, it a parcel, have to ship it threw customs etc.. BIG $$$... 1 key!

took to my local postal, bought stamp, they put it it on and mailed it!