OIL Thoughts

R

Russ Cihlar

<table bgColor="#ffffff">
<font face="Arial" size="2">I am posting a thread with a link to this group for some opinion,, We all want to protect our cars an this is a major concern to all of us</font>
<font face="Arial" size="2"></font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">This is a thread from the Mjeeps site ,, The link http://www.newenglandclassics.org/Articles/The%20Evolution%20of%20Engine%20Oil.pdfis what is the main topic,, Thanks ,Russ</font>
<dl class="first last">
<dt>1a. <dd>
<h2><font color="#1e66ae">Re: Oil </font></h2>
<h3>Posted by: "paul reiss" <font color="#1e66ae">schatham@snet.net </font> <font color="#1e66ae">topbows </font></h3>
<h4>Sat Dec23,2006 10:56am (PST) </h4>
<div class="ygrp-content">Does this still hold for older engines that have some sludge build-up in them? I thought that the use of detergent motor oils in older vehicles caused the release of the build-up in the engine which accelerated the deterioration of the engine. In a rebuilt engine, I can see starting over again. In an old, but good engine, I am not sure this is good advice. What is everyone using in their old engines?

Paul

Chris Lange <<font color="#1e66ae">bullseye@dreamscape<wbr>.com</font>> wrote:
That's a good question Tom, I read that article in HotRod magazine as well. I think that there is going to be a lot of study on this by the antique car hobby in the near future. But for now, until I see otherwise, I feel safe that our low compression engines are better off on today's oil than they were 40 years ago.
In my humble opinion.

Chris
Cortland, NY
----- Original Message -----
To: <font color="#1e66ae">M38-M38A1-M606@<wbr>yahoogroups.<wbr>com</font>
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 6:08 PM
Subject: [M38-M38A1-M606] Oil

I noticed an article on the opening page of the CJ3B website about ?which oil should I use?. There is a link to an article that applies to our jeeps. <font color="#1e66ae">http://www.newengla<wbr>ndclassics.<wbr>org/Articles/<wbr>The%20Evolution%<wbr>20of%20Engine%<wbr>20Oil.pdf</font>
A similar article was in HotRod magazine last month. In summary they are both recommending diesel truck oils in engines with flat tappets. There are anti scuff additives in the diesel oil which has been legislated out of passenger car oils (in 2004). I also hear that the diesel oils have to be cleaned up in ?06 so that advantage will go away. Given the low speeds and lower stresses of the jeep engines compared with a ?60?s high compression V8 has anyone seen data on how the jeep engines are doing with the lesser oils? I cant help thinking that todays car oils are still superior to anything that was available 40-60 years ago.
Anyone had a tappet or cam failure?
Tom

<div class="ygrp-dateline">
<div class="offset"><font color="#1e66ae">Back to top </font><font color="#1e66ae">Reply to <span class="bld">sender</span> </font>| <font color="#1e66ae">Reply to <span class="bld">group</span> </font>| <font color="#1e66ae">Reply <span class="bld">via web post</span> </font>
<font color="#1e66ae">Messages in this topic </font>(4) </dd>
<dt>1b. <dd class="last">
<h3>Posted by: "Wes K" <font color="#1e66ae">wsknettl@centurytel.net </font> <font color="#1e66ae">tomatotruck993 </font></h3>
<h4>Sat Dec23,2006 12:09pm (PST) </h4>
<div class="ygrp-content">Good point Paul. We should not suddenly switch oil in an old engine from
straight mineral oil to a semi-synthetic detergent becuase the particles
that become loose and drift through the oil system have a tendency to
plug up small passages. Switching from straight weight detergents (Which
are semi-synthetic) to multi weights (which are semi synthetic) is not a
problem.

Wes K

paul reiss wrote:

> Does this still hold for older engines that have some sludge build-up
> in them? I thought that the use of detergent motor oils in older
> vehicles caused the release of the build-up in the engine which
> accelerated the deterioration of the engine. In a rebuilt engine, I
> can see starting over again. In an old, but good engine, I am not
> sure this is good advice. What is everyone using in their old engines?
>
> Paul
>
> Chris Lange <<font color="#1e66ae">bullseye@dreamscape<wbr>.com</font>> wrote:
>
> That's a good question Tom, I read that article in HotRod magazine
> as well. I think that there is going to be a lot of study on this
> by the antique car hobby in the near future. But for now, until I
> see otherwise, I feel safe that our low compression engines are
> better off on today's oil than they were 40 years ago.
> In my humble opinion.
>
> Chris
> Cortland, NY
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Tom Mackie <mailto:<font color="#1e66ae">tom_mackie@trimble.<wbr>com</font>>
> To: <font color="#1e66ae">M38-M38A1-M606@<wbr>yahoogroups.<wbr>com</font>
> <mailto:M38-<wbr>M38A1-M606@<wbr>yahoogroups.<wbr>%21%0A%20com>
> Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 6:08 PM
> Subject: [M38-M38A1-M606] Oil
>
> I noticed an article on the opening page of the CJ3B website
> about 'which oil should I use'. There is a link to an article
> that applies to our jeeps.
> <font color="#1e66ae">http://www.newengla<wbr>ndclassics.<wbr>org/Articles/<wbr>The%20Evolution%<wbr>20of%20Engine%<wbr>20Oil.pdf</font>
> <<font color="#1e66ae">http://www.newengla<wbr>ndclassics.<wbr>org/Articles/<wbr>The%20Evolution%<wbr>20of%20Engine%<wbr>20Oil.pdf</font>>
> A similar article was in HotRod magazine last month. In
> summary they are both recommending diesel truck oils in
> engines with flat tappets. There are anti scuff additives in
> the diesel oil which has been legislated out of passenger car
> oils (in 2004). I also hear that the diesel oils have to be
> cleaned up in '06 so that advantage will go away. Given the
> low speeds and lower stresses of the jeep engines compared
> with a '60's high compression V8 has anyone seen data on how
> the jeep engines are doing with the lesser oils? I cant help
> thinking that todays car oils are still superior to anything
> that was available 40-60 years ago.
> Anyone had a tappet or cam failure?</dd></dl>

R

Russ Cihlar

<table bgColor="#ffffff">
<font face="Arial" size="2">I am posting a thread with a link to this group for some opinion,, We all want to protect our cars an this is a major concern to all of us</font>
<font face="Arial" size="2"></font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">This is a thread from the Mjeeps site ,, The link http://www.newenglandclassics.org/Articles/The%20Evolution%20of%20Engine%20Oil.pdfis what is the main topic,, Thanks ,Russ</font>
<dl class="first last">
<dt>1a. <dd>
<h3>Posted by: "paul reiss" <font color="#1e66ae">schatham@snet.net </font> <font color="#1e66ae">topbows </font></h3>
<h4>Sat Dec23,2006 10:56am (PST) </h4>
<div class="ygrp-content">Does this still hold for older engines that have some sludge build-up in them? I thought that the use of detergent motor oils in older vehicles caused the release of the build-up in the engine which accelerated the deterioration of the engine. In a rebuilt engine, I can see starting over again. In an old, but good engine, I am not sure this is good advice. What is everyone using in their old engines?

Paul

Chris Lange <<font color="#1e66ae">bullseye@dreamscape<wbr>.com</font>> wrote:
That's a good question Tom, I read that article in HotRod magazine as well. I think that there is going to be a lot of study on this by the antique car hobby in the near future. But for now, until I see otherwise, I feel safe that our low compression engines are better off on today's oil than they were 40 years ago.
In my humble opinion.

Chris
Cortland, NY
----- Original Message -----
To: <font color="#1e66ae">M38-M38A1-M606@<wbr>yahoogroups.<wbr>com</font>
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 6:08 PM
Subject: [M38-M38A1-M606] Oil

I noticed an article on the opening page of the CJ3B website about ?which oil should I use?. There is a link to an article that applies to our jeeps. <font color="#1e66ae">http://www.newengla<wbr>ndclassics.<wbr>org/Articles/<wbr>The%20Evolution%<wbr>20of%20Engine%<wbr>20Oil.pdf</font>
A similar article was in HotRod magazine last month. In summary they are both recommending diesel truck oils in engines with flat tappets. There are anti scuff additives in the diesel oil which has been legislated out of passenger car oils (in 2004). I also hear that the diesel oils have to be cleaned up in ?06 so that advantage will go away. Given the low speeds and lower stresses of the jeep engines compared with a ?60?s high compression V8 has anyone seen data on how the jeep engines are doing with the lesser oils? I cant help thinking that todays car oils are still superior to anything that was available 40-60 years ago.
Anyone had a tappet or cam failure?
Tom

<div class="ygrp-dateline">
<div class="offset"><font color="#1e66ae">Back to top </font><font color="#1e66ae">Reply to <span class="bld">sender</span> </font>| <font color="#1e66ae">Reply to <span class="bld">group</span> </font>| <font color="#1e66ae">Reply <span class="bld">via web post</span> </font>
<font color="#1e66ae">Messages in this topic </font>(4) </dd>
<dt>1b. <dd class="last">
<h3>Posted by: "Wes K" <font color="#1e66ae">wsknettl@centurytel.net </font> <font color="#1e66ae">tomatotruck993 </font></h3>
<h4>Sat Dec23,2006 12:09pm (PST) </h4>
<div class="ygrp-content">Good point Paul. We should not suddenly switch oil in an old engine from
straight mineral oil to a semi-synthetic detergent becuase the particles
that become loose and drift through the oil system have a tendency to
plug up small passages. Switching from straight weight detergents (Which
are semi-synthetic) to multi weights (which are semi synthetic) is not a
problem.

Wes K

paul reiss wrote:

> Does this still hold for older engines that have some sludge build-up
> in them? I thought that the use of detergent motor oils in older
> vehicles caused the release of the build-up in the engine which
> accelerated the deterioration of the engine. In a rebuilt engine, I
> can see starting over again. In an old, but good engine, I am not
> sure this is good advice. What is everyone using in their old engines?
>
> Paul
>
> Chris Lange <<font color="#1e66ae">bullseye@dreamscape<wbr>.com</font>> wrote:
>
> That's a good question Tom, I read that article in HotRod magazine
> as well. I think that there is going to be a lot of study on this
> by the antique car hobby in the near future. But for now, until I
> see otherwise, I feel safe that our low compression engines are
> better off on today's oil than they were 40 years ago.
> In my humble opinion.
>
> Chris
> Cortland, NY
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Tom Mackie <mailto:<font color="#1e66ae">tom_mackie@trimble.<wbr>com</font>>
> To: <font color="#1e66ae">M38-M38A1-M606@<wbr>yahoogroups.<wbr>com</font>
> <mailto:M38-<wbr>M38A1-M606@<wbr>yahoogroups.<wbr>%21%0A%20com>
> Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 6:08 PM
> Subject: [M38-M38A1-M606] Oil
>
> I noticed an article on the opening page of the CJ3B website
> about 'which oil should I use'. There is a link to an article
> that applies to our jeeps.
> <font color="#1e66ae">http://www.newengla<wbr>ndclassics.<wbr>org/Articles/<wbr>The%20Evolution%<wbr>20of%20Engine%<wbr>20Oil.pdf</font>
> <<font color="#1e66ae">http://www.newengla<wbr>ndclassics.<wbr>org/Articles/<wbr>The%20Evolution%<wbr>20of%20Engine%<wbr>20Oil.pdf</font>>
> A similar article was in HotRod magazine last month. In
> summary they are both recommending diesel truck oils in
> engines with flat tappets. There are anti scuff additives in
> the diesel oil which has been legislated out of passenger car
> oils (in 2004). I also hear that the diesel oils have to be
> cleaned up in '06 so that advantage will go away. Given the
> low speeds and lower stresses of the jeep engines compared
> with a '60's high compression V8 has anyone seen data on how
> the jeep engines are doing with the lesser oils? I cant help
> thinking that todays car oils are still superior to anything
> that was available 40-60 years ago.
> Anyone had a tappet or cam failure?</dd></dl>