Non-Amphi garage project - shelves

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
For years, I have had aerosol cans all over the garage, stored in Rubbermaid containers, on shelves, but usually where I can never find them.

Saw this idea on garage journal and for about $50 in 1x5 boards, made a storage shelf for all those cans. Bottom shelf can hold antifreeze jugs and similar. Took about an hour. Mine is 4'x6' but you can go any size you like. Going to make another for all the household cans and chemicals.

image.jpg

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
Just finished a 2nd set. Made it a full 4'x8' and used 1"x6" boards for a bit more depth. You need a step stool to get to the high shelves but used them for infrequently needed items.

On the sides of my garage there is a concrete lip that extends out just over 5" from the wall (common in new construction) . So, while you normally can not put a shelf right against the wall, these sit neatly on top of the lip to take advantage of wasted space. I do have some angle shelf brackets securing shelf to the wall studs at the top and about half way up.

Lower two shelves are about 15" high to accommodate taller containers like antifreeze. The rest are approx 12" in height. It is all screwed and wood glued together. Painted them with some cheap gray spray paint / primer combo from lowes.

I added backer board to the back (about $10 for a 4'x8' sheet) although it is not needed.

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
I keep all my paint supplys in an old refrigerator(the type with a round corners)now thats old. spray bombs, cans bondo etc, Its all in one place and outa sight. I even keep my welding rod stick in the old freezer part as it keeps the humidity away from them, keeps heat out in summer and less cold in winter.