Newbie Amphicar Owner

AMPHI1

Hello to all fellow amphicar owners. I just recently purchased an Amphicar and can not believe how much fun this vehicle is. I am certain there is no other vehicle you could have more fun in (with your clothes on)!

I have a couple of questions maybe another owner could try to answer.
1) Any suggestions for a driver's side mirror?

2) I see some cars have a small 45 degree extension on the bildge outlet so you can see if your bildge pump is actually pumping any water. Is that extension made up special or can it be made from parts from a local plumbing supply shop?

Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to provide an answer.

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
The Amphicar Club gave out those 45 degree bilge pipe extensions as an annual gift some years ago. I happen to have an extra that you are welcome to have. Send me your address and I'll get it in the mail.
Ted
mattted@swbell.net

EricM

When I first joined the club I bought some mirrors for a porsche of the same period. The looked great but didn't work very well so I would avoid those.

Recently John Capone put new mirrors on it that look great (both sides) and actually work as designed. They were a popular mirror common in the early 60's as a dealer option on many cars. Hopefully he'll see this posting and put up the information. He may even have some for sale. I'm not sure what I paid for them but they were much less that the first ones I bought. I've know John for years and his prices have always been fair and reasonable.

The pipes you see on the backs of many cars came from various sources. I bought mine from Billy Syx at East Coast Amphicar one year at Celina. Billy doesn't do email but I'm sure the phone number in the newsletters and online will get you to him. It works well and for the enterprising and mechanically inclined I've noticed that you can put various garden hose spray ends on them so the bilge water goes out in a more decorative manner. I've also seen the pipe ends covered with fish, frogs and ducks but so far no mermaids .... but I'm sure Dave is working on that.

Eric

Sent: Friday, August 7, 2009 4:36:13 PM
Subject: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20527] Newbie Amphicar Owner

Hello to all fellow amphicar owners. I just recently purchased an Amphicar and can not believe how much fun this vehicle is. I am certain there is no other vehicle you could have more fun in (with your clothes on)!

2) I see some cars have a small 45 degree extension on the bildge outlet so you can see if your bildge pump is actually pumping any water. Is that extension made up special or can it be made from parts from a local plumbing supply shop?

Ed Price

The little piece of tubing was given away as a gift to all IAOC members a
couple of years ago. It just might be possible that Ron Green, the IAOC
President, has a few left.

If he doesn't, then yes, you could use some thin-wall aluminum tubing, or
even copper tubing, and fabricate one for yourself.

Although the pipe allows you to see when your bilge pump is actually pumping
water, it also slightly obstructs the flow. Style versus function, it's a
typical tradeoff.

Ed Price
El Cajon, CA USA
WB6WSN
61 Rust Guppy
1987 MB 420SEL

_____

Sent: Friday, August 07, 2009 2:36 PM
To: edprice@cox.net
Subject: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20527] Newbie Amphicar Owner

Hello to all fellow amphicar owners. I just recently purchased an Amphicar
and can not believe how much fun this vehicle is. I am certain there is no
other vehicle you could have more fun in (with your clothes on)!

2) I see some cars have a small 45 degree extension on the bildge outlet so
you can see if your bildge pump is actually pumping any water. Is that
extension made up special or can it be made from parts from a local plumbing
supply shop?

chasgould

I also need to find one of these bilge pump diverter ends. I bought
one years ago from Billy Syx, but it will not go on without
interfering with the edge of the engine cover, and damaging the paint.
I am sure that he has since fixed this but my early one would not
clear the hood when it screwed onto the end of the bilge tube.
So, if anyone else has any left over from the club giveaway, I would
be extremely grateful, as I thin that I had inadvertently let my
membership lapse on that particular Holiday season, so I did not
receive the gift.
Chas
On Aug 7, 2009, at 6:38 PM, Tedredamphi wrote:

> The Amphicar Club gave out those 45 degree bilge pipe extensions as
> an annual gift some years ago. I happen to have an extra that you
> are welcome to have. Send me your address and I'll get it in the mail.
> Ted
> mattted@swbell.net
>
>

R

Ron Green

I will check as I believe there are some leftover spouts. Please give me a few days as I need to lay a family member to rest tomorrow and I am trying to get the newsletter mailed out this week.

Ron Green

chasgould

Hi Ron,
Thank you so much for the prompt response.
I am so sorry for your loss, and I can certainly wait for you to find
a convenient time to have a look.
I would certainly appreciate one of the bilge diverter tubes if they
are available.
Thank you,
Charles

On Aug 10, 2009, at 10:32 AM, Ron Green wrote:

> I will check as I believe there are some leftover spouts. Please
> give me a few days as I need to lay a family member to rest tomorrow
> and I am trying to get the newsletter mailed out this week.
>
> Ron Green
>
>

azpaul50

If there are a few left, may I buy two also? I stuck a second bilge pump in Blub several months ago with a separate bilge port. Neither port have this tube although Aquacar does, I presume from when they tubes were given as gifts. - azpaul50

To: azpaul50@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20527] Re: Newbie Amphicar Owner
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 10:32:22 -0400

I will check as I believe there are some leftover spouts. Please give me a few days as I need to lay a family member to rest tomorrow and I am trying to get the newsletter mailed out this week.

Ron Green

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
I made those ( almost 400) of those extensions for the club myself. Use .50" OD alum tubing. They are thin wall so the restriction is negligible especially in this setting.
You can polish them as I did to match the trim..

R

Ron Green

Ok I found 5 extensions.

Amphi1: I need your full name so please email it to me and I will look up your address in the club roster and mail you 1, unless Ted already mailed you his.

Charles: I have your info and will mail you 1, out unless your going to the Boston swim in which I will deliver it.

Paul: I believe I may have your name on my other computer however email me your full name and I will look up your address in the club roster and mail you 2.

That leaves either 1 or 2 left depending on Amphi1 getting Ted’s.
Anyone else needing one let me know, those notifying me 1st get them. I will be mailing the club newsletter out Monday and will drop in the mail then.

Ron Green

R

Ron Green

Ok they are all gone. Captain John made these as he stated a while back for the club gift. I believe there was some sort of trick (caulk?) that was supposed to be placed on the end that goes into the original flat round fitting. Helps to hold it in position?

Ron Green

chasgould

Hi Ron,
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. I would prefer if you could mail it, as I am uncertain at this time whether I can attend the Swim-In. It is our anniversary, and we have plans to be out of town for this weekend. It is always a conflict for us, although I am going to try to stop in for at least one day.
Thanks,
Charles

Ok I found 5 extensions.

Amphi1: I need your full name so please email it to me and I will look up your address in the club roster and mail you 1, unless Ted already mailed you his.

Charles: I have your info and will mail you 1, out unless your going to the Boston swim in which I will deliver it.

Paul: I believe I may have your name on my other computer however email me your full name and I will look up your address in the club roster and mail you 2.

That leaves either 1 or 2 left depending on Amphi1 getting Ted’s.
Anyone else needing one let me know, those notifying me 1st get them. I will be mailing the club newsletter out Monday and will drop in the mail then.

Ron Green

azpaul50

I received my spouts today! Thanks, Ron!!!! AND CLUB! We're getting ready for Miramar, taking, Aquacar, so they'll go into Blub next week! If ya' stick two of these in your nostrils you can actually play music! Ooops sorry, webmaster... was in the service and just having fun with stuff newly arrived from HQ Supply! I really am trying to demonstrate proper decorum! So has anyone filled the bilges with water and shoot at tailgaters??? this pipes should definitely increase accuracy. It's almost visitor season here!

Yes thanks, I also received mine. Only the music is not so sweet with just one. :005:

Thanks again to everyone involved with these.

Randy

chasgould

I just got my spout too! Thank you so much Ron! I really appreciate it, and I can't wait to install it on my car.
Chas

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Introducing Myself - Amphicar Newbie General Amphicar Discussion 0
S Newbie ... help me find a car please? General Amphicar Discussion 1
Jon March Newbie-re: on Gordon website General Amphicar Discussion 11
azpaul50 Newbie! General Amphicar Discussion 10
J Newbie to this group General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Newbie Questions General Amphicar Discussion 5
D Dumb Newbie Question Time General Amphicar Discussion 2
J 1967 Amphicar Tub Toy Restorations in progress 3
DougFromBaltimore Amphicar - Servicing Rear Brakes without removing hubs and tip for attaching springs General Amphicar Discussion 9
S Rear Amphicar Shocks w/Small Diameter Spring - Rear Spring Specs? General Amphicar Discussion 2
mike_israel The only car I consider to be way cooler than the Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 2
T Parting ways with my 64 Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 0
AmazingOne Restored 1964 Amphicar for sale General Amphicar Discussion 0
chapron67 Wanted to buy: Nice, useable Amphicar. General Amphicar Discussion 3
mike_israel Annual costs of maintaining an Amphicar (Forum) ... General Amphicar Discussion 10
Jon March lot #012 - The next big Amphicar auction: end of This week! - lot #012 General Amphicar Discussion 4
strandweiss62 RHD Amphicar sold at Mecum General Amphicar Discussion 2
C Amphicar with Buick V6! General Amphicar Discussion 4
DavidC Amphicar club gift. General Amphicar Discussion 3
Andreas Gomoll „The Uganda-Amphicar“ - Brakeparts needed... General Amphicar Discussion 0
Latitude33 Amphicar cover General Amphicar Discussion 4
Andreas Gomoll ... my Amphicar has some specials.... Restorations in progress 2
B Amphicar Tow Bar General Amphicar Discussion 0
DavidC Anyone interested in the ultimate Amphicar muffler project ? General Amphicar Discussion 9
B Celina Amphicar Record General Amphicar Discussion 3
T Amphicar Furniture General Amphicar Discussion 6
mike_israel Amphicar Hawaiian Shirts - Order Deadline Approaching General Amphicar Discussion 0
Jon March the 3 different Amphicar factory driveshafts General Amphicar Discussion 2
W Having trouble finding outer boots for my Amphicar with Eddie Dillard rear axles. General Amphicar Discussion 12
sdreich Amphicar Transmissions General Amphicar Discussion 12
L long distance moves for Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 6
sdreich Amphicar Hubcaps on eBay and More General Amphicar Discussion 4
LSolheim 2018 Clearlake Seaplane - Amphicar: Fly & Swim-in General Amphicar Discussion 0
Jon March Amphicar chase-scenes General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel New Search Engine on Amphicar Forums General Amphicar Discussion 2
jfriese More Original Amphicar Horns General Amphicar Discussion 1
Midwest Amphicar Central Florida Amphicar Swim In General Amphicar Discussion 4
E Amphicar floor General Amphicar Discussion 1
Jon March GREAT Amphicar footage from the hot new Northeast "Naples Swim" General Amphicar Discussion 0
scottamphi What Pertronix Fit My Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 6
Jacques B. Help needed with Amphicar Water trans gears. General Amphicar Discussion 2
mike_israel Amphicar Forum - System Update Underway General Amphicar Discussion 1
E New Amphicar Tech General Amphicar Discussion 1
mike_israel Merry Christmas & Joy to the Amphicar World General Amphicar Discussion 1
BlueFin Scam Amphicar Ad General Amphicar Discussion 11
Jon March the ultimate Amphicar paint General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel New Amphicar Children's Book General Amphicar Discussion 4
mike_israel Amphicar on Jay Leno's Garage General Amphicar Discussion 9
mike_israel 1921 Auto-Boat: Floating along 40 years earlier than the Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 1
B Amphicar Fuses?? General Amphicar Discussion 2