New forum

chasgould

As I have said many times, I am a huge fan of Mike, and I appreciate all of his efforts with regard to the old and the new forums, and I know just how much work is involved, and how thankless of a job it is to set up and maintain these forums, so I do not mean this as a complaint, only to seek some help with my own frustration on the list.
Also, I am sure that it relates to my own ignorance, and not to the forum site, but I am just plain lost in there. I can't seem to find anything that I am looking for.
For example, I had two friends ask me for details on Gerry O'Bara's upscoming Boston Swin In, and I know that there is supposed to be an "Events" section, but I can't find it anywhere. I also know that Mike recently posted that he merged these postings into the general discussion areas, but once again, short of rereading all of the old posts, I have no idea where to send someone to get specific information on the Swim In this weekend, or for any other event details.
It is probably right in front of my face, and may be obvious to the rest of you, but I feel like a downright Luddite in this forum for some reason. It just does not strike me as intuitive at all. Is there a way to set my prefences so that it is a bit more obvious to me? I also feel as though I may be missing so much information if I don't sign onto each of the seperate sections to reread all of the posts.
I don't know if I am unable to see something obvious, or if Gerry never posted a proper notice, but not only am I missing something, but I never know what, or how much, I am missing.
Also, I had never been able to respond to any comments received in my email messages from the list without going to the actual site and signing on. I had preferred the old list where I could simply hit "reply" in my incoming message from the forum, and this new sign on requirement has caused me to post far fewer responses or comments. Curiously today, when I did post a simple response by hitting the respond key, it did go through this time despite the fact that I had not changed any of my preferences. I also miss the spellcheck feature of simply responding to my incoming messages from the forum.
Does this forum have a tutorial anywhere, or do I just have to roam around until I get familiar with the format? Where do I set my preferences? I guess that, as an old dog, I can still be taught some new tricks, but I don't know where to begin, and frankly, I prefer to wrench in my garage than to learn new stuff on my computer!
Thanks for any and all of the help which may be offered.
Chas

amphi_sc

> I had two friends ask me for details on Gerry O'Bara's up coming Boston Swim In.....

How about by not looking on these forums, but assume the notice was also sent to the club and posted on the club's website calendar
<http://www.amphicar.com/calendar.htm>
Amphicar Events Calendar

EricM

Chas;

try

http://www.amphicar.com/calendar.htm

from the main page its under "amphibiousness" or however thats spelled.

Eric

----- Original Message ----
To: e_mattlin@sbcglobal.net
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 5:12:53 PM
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20121] Re: New forum

In a message dated 8/18/08 5:51:21 PM, writes:

Quote:

> How about by not looking on these forums, but assume the notice was also
> sent to the club and posted on the club's website calendar
> Where is that detail? Hw about a link?

It's only a deal if it's
where you want to go. Find your travel deal here.

(http://information.travel.aol.com/de...0050000000047)

amphi_sc

In a message dated 8/18/08 5:51:21 PM, writes:

>> Where is that detail? Hw about a link?

I forgot that when you post to this forum using regular posting rules (such as enclosing links between less than and greater than signs so they don't get split up) that this new forum strips those from the email messages (but does leave them in the body of the message as displayed via the web link). That "new feachure" has bit me a couple of times on here.

I edited the original post to show it both ways.

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
Chas,

The "search" function is your best friend. Had you searched for "swim-in" or Boston it would have shown up in the 1st 3-4 items.

I shut down the separate "events" section and moved the posts to the main forum because people were complaining that they do not read messages in the sub-forums.

If you are responding via e-mail, just use the spell checker in your email program. if you are responding on-line, there is a little button on the top right of the edit window with "ABC" and a "check mark".

Hope that helps.

Mike