MSN Story

Greetings all,
MSN is currently running a story called "Cars laughed at then, Smiled on now". Yup, they included the Amphicar. Apparently they received comments from Hagerty Insurance CEO Mckeel Hagerty. He states "Choppy conditions or more than about 6 inches of water proved disastrous for the Amphicar." Someone needs to give Mr. H a ride! Not sure what he meant by the 6 inch comment. He obviously hasn't read the English Channel crossing story. The one with choppy conditions and lots of water!

Brian Crombie
Faribault, Mn
Land of 10,000 Lakes!

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']http://editorial.autos.msn.com/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=1156072[/font]

azpaul50

I wish I had that Tucker "flop." I was next to a guy with gold one at a car show about 5-6 years ago. As the show wore on, he started talking about the "pickle" he had gotten himself into with it. He had mortgaged his house to buy it and still had untold restoration expense for the future. It has a Lycoming helicopter engine which was deemed unrepairable. So he had placed the body on 60's Ford station wagon frame and drive train to show it while hoping to later solve the engine problem. Did I mention his wife left him in the process? See, old AZP ain't so crazy after all. LOLOL....

To: azpaul50@hotmail.com
Subject: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20853] MSN Story
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 10:20:17 -0400

Greetings all,
MSN is currently running a story called "Cars laughed at then, Smiled on now". Yup, they included the Amphicar. Apparently they received comments from Hagerty Insurance CEO Mckeel Hagerty. He states "Choppy conditions or more than about 6 inches of water proved disastrous for the Amphicar." Someone needs to give Mr. H a ride! Not sure what he meant by the 6 inch comment. He obviously hasn't read the English Channel crossing story. The one with choppy conditions and lots of water!

Brian Crombie
Faribault, Mn
Land of 10,000 Lakes!

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']http://editorial.autos.msn.com/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=1156072[/font]

slantflat

Seems Mr. Hagerty likes to spout off about cars he knows little about. (here's another Corvair reference...) I saw a video clip of him and Jay Leno talking about cheep classic cars and MH made mention about Ralph Nader and how he killed the car. Leno was quick to correct him, stating facts and saying how he loved his Corvairs. MH was noticeably uncomfortable.

If the Amphicar is so unstable why does he insure them?

Mike Clark
Stockbridge, Georgia

Greetings all,