MOUNT DORA SWIM-IN Whoopee

• Thread starter nelson625@aol.com
  • Start date
N

nelson625@aol.com

<table id="role_body" style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" bottomMargin="7" leftMargin="7" topMargin="7" rightMargin="7"><font id="role_document" face="Arial" color="#000000" size="2">
The Mount Dora Swim-In was truly a "little bit of heaven in 2007." This year was the 10th anniversary for the Mount Dora Southeastern Swim-In and for the tenth time in a row, the Gods certainly smiled on us. The weather was fantastic - into the 80's the whole weekend. Saturday being the big day of the event, the worst we have ever experienced on a Saturday was a bit breezy with the temperature onlyin the high 60's a couple of times and always lots of sun - something that our northern visitors seem to appreciate.

We had a total of 14 Amphicars from as far away as Canada and New Hampshire. The event is hosted by the Antique Boat Clubwhich producedabout 150 gorgeous boats ( gleaming old Chris Crafts and stylish Fiberglass antiques ) which make you drool. All of this along witha get-together of a record number of "Woodie" cars - 26 in all this year andyou can't avoid but have the makings of a super show. Back in 1998, Dave Monier contacted Peter Fredsall and Dan Borgman tobring aboutthe first of what has become an annualSwim-In heralding the Rites of Spring. My wife Carol and I had acquired our 1967 Amphicar 6 months earlier, but had not yet been daring enough to take her swimming. We took our 1948 Ford "Woodie" Wagon to the Woodieget-together at Mount Dora and what a surprise to find 3 Amphicars. Fellow dentist, Dave Monier gave me my first ever ride inan Amphicar and from then on, our "Split Personality" has been hyper active.

Our traditional Saturday night Amphicar Banquet was a great success as always, though we had to do without our super Emcee, Dave Monier, whose daughter picked that day to bring a daughter into the world. We had intended topresent Dave with a placque of appreciation for his unstinting efforts in making the Mount Dora Swim-In the success it has become. The placque has a photographon it that I took back in 1998 at the first Swim-In when I went crazy withmy camera and the 3 Amphicars.We had to settle for passing the placque around and then mailing it to him. The Sciortinos produced a birthday cake and other party items including some flashing red plastic noses to help Dave Dehrer's father, Grampa Wave, celebrate his upcoming 90th birthday. Ron Trudeau, one of the Amphicar owners who brought his car to the Swim-In won the 50-50 drawing anda number of other gifts and goodies were raffledoff to the happy assemblage.

At this Swim-In, we enjoyed another special treat when our reigning IAOC president John Bevins from Colorado honored us with his presence. All in all we all had a great time and everyone went away with great memories, not the least of which were the smiles on the faces of all the people at the show whenever we went splashing in. Undeniably, our SPG rating (SMILES PER GALLON)is very high.We hope to see more of you next March at Mount Dora where it is warm and sunny.

Vic (Captain Splash) Nelson with the 1967 Aqua"Split Personality"</font>

<font style="color: black; font: normal 10pt ARIAL, SAN-SERIF;"><hr style="MARGIN-TOP: 10px">See what's free at AOL.com. </font>

N

nelson625@aol.com

<table id="role_body" style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" bottomMargin="7" leftMargin="7" topMargin="7" rightMargin="7"><font id="role_document" face="Arial" color="#000000" size="2">
The Mount Dora Swim-In was truly a "little bit of heaven in 2007." This year was the 10th anniversary for the Mount Dora Southeastern Swim-In and for the tenth time in a row, the Gods certainly smiled on us. The weather was fantastic - into the 80's the whole weekend. Saturday being the big day of the event, the worst we have ever experienced on a Saturday was a bit breezy with the temperature onlyin the high 60's a couple of times and always lots of sun - something that our northern visitors seem to appreciate.

We had a total of 14 Amphicars from as far away as Canada and New Hampshire. The event is hosted by the Antique Boat Clubwhich producedabout 150 gorgeous boats ( gleaming old Chris Crafts and stylish Fiberglass antiques ) which make you drool. All of this along witha get-together of a record number of "Woodie" cars - 26 in all this year andyou can't avoid but have the makings of a super show. Back in 1998, Dave Monier contacted Peter Fredsall and Dan Borgman tobring aboutthe first of what has become an annualSwim-In heralding the Rites of Spring. My wife Carol and I had acquired our 1967 Amphicar 6 months earlier, but had not yet been daring enough to take her swimming. We took our 1948 Ford "Woodie" Wagon to the Woodieget-together at Mount Dora and what a surprise to find 3 Amphicars. Fellow dentist, Dave Monier gave me my first ever ride inan Amphicar and from then on, our "Split Personality" has been hyper active.

Our traditional Saturday night Amphicar Banquet was a great success as always, though we had to do without our super Emcee, Dave Monier, whose daughter picked that day to bring a daughter into the world. We had intended topresent Dave with a placque of appreciation for his unstinting efforts in making the Mount Dora Swim-In the success it has become. The placque has a photographon it that I took back in 1998 at the first Swim-In when I went crazy withmy camera and the 3 Amphicars.We had to settle for passing the placque around and then mailing it to him. The Sciortinos produced a birthday cake and other party items including some flashing red plastic noses to help Dave Dehrer's father, Grampa Wave, celebrate his upcoming 90th birthday. Ron Trudeau, one of the Amphicar owners who brought his car to the Swim-In won the 50-50 drawing anda number of other gifts and goodies were raffledoff to the happy assemblage.

At this Swim-In, we enjoyed another special treat when our reigning IAOC president John Bevins from Colorado honored us with his presence. All in all we all had a great time and everyone went away with great memories, not the least of which were the smiles on the faces of all the people at the show whenever we went splashing in. Undeniably, our SPG rating (SMILES PER GALLON)is very high.We hope to see more of you next March at Mount Dora where it is warm and sunny.

Vic (Captain Splash) Nelson with the 1967 Aqua"Split Personality"</font>

<font style="color: black; font: normal 10pt ARIAL, SAN-SERIF;"><hr style="MARGIN-TOP: 10px">See what's free at AOL.com. </font>

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Re: Mount Dora Swim-In General Amphicar Discussion 1
N MOUNT DORA, FLORIDA SWIM-IN General Amphicar Discussion 1
N Fwd: Amphicar 2007 Mount Dora Swim In General Amphicar Discussion 1
R Wooton Park: aka Mount Dora General Amphicar Discussion 0
N Mount Dora - HURRAH General Amphicar Discussion 1
N Car Colors and Mount Dora General Amphicar Discussion 0
T Rooms at Mount Dora General Amphicar Discussion 1
N Mount Dora Inn on the Green Hotel Room General Amphicar Discussion 0
N Directions to Mount Dora from north on I-95 General Amphicar Discussion 0
N Mount Dora Update: General Amphicar Discussion 2
N Ahoy all Mount Dora Bound members - General Amphicar Discussion 1
T Speaking of Mount Dora - Southern Hospitality General Amphicar Discussion 0
N Mount Dora General Amphicar Discussion 9
C Mount Dora info needed General Amphicar Discussion 5
okey0 Engine OUT....how to mount on stand now? General Amphicar Discussion 9
S Blower Housing Motor & Mount General Amphicar Discussion 0
J Rear brake cable mount on backing plate General Amphicar Discussion 1
P Amphicar Alternator Mount General Amphicar Discussion 0
K Modified transmission mount bolts General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Radiator Mount General Amphicar Discussion 0
R Substitute for Radiator Mount General Amphicar Discussion 4
K Steering box mount cracking - revisited General Amphicar Discussion 5
S Transmission Mount Reinforcement General Amphicar Discussion 1
E Engine Mount Template General Amphicar Discussion 0
T radiator rubber (buffer) mount substitute 9-30-38 General Amphicar Discussion 1
M Engine Mount Problem General Amphicar Discussion 2
Midwest Amphicar Celebration of Life for Grand Pa Wave , Mt Dora March 27,28,29 2015 General Amphicar Discussion 0
Midwest Amphicar It is almost time for doin Dora General Amphicar Discussion 1
SNOWBIRD Mt Dora Swim in General Amphicar Discussion 5
M Alligator shooting contest at Mt Dora swim in General Amphicar Discussion 1
R Mt. Dora General Amphicar Discussion 13
Midwest Amphicar Mt Dora time is coming up quickly!!! Please join us 3/ 21/2013 General Amphicar Discussion 2
R Mt. Dora 2013 dates General Amphicar Discussion 7
R !5th Annual Mt. Dora Swim-In makes the Orlando Sentinel paper General Amphicar Discussion 3
Midwest Amphicar March in Mt Dora expanded schedule-swap meet-vendors-airplane General Amphicar Discussion 10
Midwest Amphicar Mt Dora Amphicar show meeting Jan 28th General Amphicar Discussion 1
Midwest Amphicar Gators Amphicar Grand Opening, Mt Dora's get it started party (Leesburg, Fl) General Amphicar Discussion 0
SNOWBIRD MT. DORA General Amphicar Discussion 3
LSolheim Lake Dora: How was it? General Amphicar Discussion 4
Midwest Amphicar Lake Dora show not soon enough General Amphicar Discussion 3
S Update/correction to Lake Dora Swim-In Info General Amphicar Discussion 0
S Lake Dora florida Swim-In General Amphicar Discussion 0
Midwest Amphicar Mt Dora/ Tavares Show General Amphicar Discussion 3
Midwest Amphicar Leesburg Tavares Mt Dora General Amphicar Discussion 0
P Lake Dora 2010 General Amphicar Discussion 1
Midwest Amphicar Dora Tavares show General Amphicar Discussion 2
S Re Lake Dora Show & Registrsation General Amphicar Discussion 4
S Lake Dora Update from Peter Fredsall General Amphicar Discussion 4
S Lake Dora Swim-In General Amphicar Discussion 14
Midwest Amphicar How many -4 degree days till Mt Dora? General Amphicar Discussion 1