Mount Dora - HURRAH

N

nelson625@aol.com

<table style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff">
John (Amphipoda)and all Amphicarites -

I'll get you a good article shortly, butMount Dora really lived up to its reputation. 9th Annual Swim-Inand<font size="4">IT WASFANTASTIC.</font><font size="2">Perfect weather for the 9th year in a row and it was outstanding - sunny with a cloudless sky. Some think the best ever, though temperatures were in the low 70's but minimal breeze. We understand it was somewhat cooloer elsewhere in the country. I am a warm weather person and would just as soon it had been 80 to 85 degrees. The Event was wonderful. Wefielded altogether 16 Amphicars with only 1 light Blue and 2 white, but Seven Aqua (Fjord Green)- the rest were red, of course, except fora pretty medium blue from Pennsylvania. 2 people showed up - one from West Palm Beach and one from the Atlanta area who had never had their cars in the water before. I was the first one to encounter the fellow from West Palm Beach who had only bought hisa month agoand it needs a full restoration. However, it starts and runs well. I first took him for a ride inmy "Split Personality." Thenwe took out the rear seat so we could keep an eye on things and I had the "thrill" of taking him in the water in his car for the first time with paddles, tow rope and life preservers at hand. All went well. We made only a short excursion but the doors didn't leak at all and he was a pretty happy camper. We could see some water intrusion from the rear, but not excessive and we know he has rust across the rear of the vehicle.There were enough "experts" around to help him diagnose strange sounds and question mark areas. He had ridden in an Amphicar once before about 1985 on Daytona Beach and Peter Fredsall poured through his pictures and came up with the "psychedelic colored" Amphicar in which the fellow had previously ridden and which Peter had photographed way back then.</font>

Again, you'll hear it all, but it was a great show - great Captain's Party Friday night, concurrent with the Woodie get-together where our 1948 Ford Wagon was part of a group of 19 Woodies decorously scattered around the penninsula leading out to the Lake Dora lighthouse. There werescads of beautiful antique boats as well as some very unique ones including a steam powered job and a special craft used to recover our space capsules from the ocean. Our Saturday night banquet wasas usual fantastic and everyone had a great time. Sunday had the best turnout of Amphicars ever (for Sunday at Mount Dora). More later.

Vic (Capt. Splash) Nelson with the aqua 1967 "Split Personality"

T

Thomas Laferriere

<table style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff">
<span class="887234118-27032006">The gentleman you are talking about sounds like the guy who bought my Amphi. I am glad to hear he got it in the water.</span>
<span class="887234118-27032006"></span>
<span class="887234118-27032006">Tom Laferriere</span>
<blockquote>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" dir="ltr" align="left"><font face="Tahoma">-----Original Message-----
From: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of nelson625@aol.com
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 10:33 AM
To: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [amphicar-lovers] Mount Dora - HURRAH

</font><tt>
John (Amphipoda)and all Amphicarites -

I'll get you a good article shortly, butMount Dora really lived up to its reputation. 9th Annual Swim-Inand<font size="4">IT WASFANTASTIC.</font><font size="2">Perfect weather for the 9th year in a row and it was outstanding - sunny with a cloudless sky. Some think the best ever, though temperatures were in the low 70's but minimal breeze. We understand it was somewhat cooloer elsewhere in the country. I am a warm weather person and would just as soon it had been 80 to 85 degrees. The Event was wonderful. Wefielded altogether 16 Amphicars with only 1 light Blue and 2 white, but Seven Aqua (Fjord Green)- the rest were red, of course, except fora pretty medium blue from Pennsylvania. 2 people showed up - one from West Palm Beach and one from the Atlanta area who had never had their cars in the water before. I was the first one to encounter the fellow from West Palm Beach who had only bought hisa month agoand it needs a full restoration. However, it starts and runs well. I first took him for a ride inmy "Split Personality." Thenwe took out the rear seat so we could keep an eye on things and I had the "thrill" of taking him in the water in his car for the first time with paddles, tow rope and life preservers at hand. All went well. We made only a short excursion but the doors didn't leak at all and he was a pretty happy camper. We could see some water intrusion from the rear, but not excessive and we know he has rust across the rear of the vehicle.There were enough "experts" around to help him diagnose strange sounds and question mark areas. He had ridden in an Amphicar once before about 1985 on Daytona Beach and Peter Fredsall poured through his pictures and came up with the "psychedelic colored" Amphicar in which the fellow had previously ridden and which Peter had photographed way back then.</font>

Again, you'll hear it all, but it was a great show - great Captain's Party Friday night, concurrent with the Woodie get-together where our 1948 Ford Wagon was part of a group of 19 Woodies decorously scattered around the penninsula leading out to the Lake Dora lighthouse. There werescads of beautiful antique boats as well as some very unique ones including a steam powered job and a special craft used to recover our space capsules from the ocean. Our Saturday night banquet wasas usual fantastic and everyone had a great time. Sunday had the best turnout of Amphicars ever (for Sunday at Mount Dora). More later.

Vic (Capt. Splash) Nelson with the aqua 1967 "Split Personality"</tt>

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Re: Mount Dora Swim-In General Amphicar Discussion 1
R Wooton Park: aka Mount Dora General Amphicar Discussion 0
N MOUNT DORA SWIM-IN Whoopee General Amphicar Discussion 1
N MOUNT DORA, FLORIDA SWIM-IN General Amphicar Discussion 1
N Fwd: Amphicar 2007 Mount Dora Swim In General Amphicar Discussion 1
N Car Colors and Mount Dora General Amphicar Discussion 0
T Rooms at Mount Dora General Amphicar Discussion 1
N Mount Dora Inn on the Green Hotel Room General Amphicar Discussion 0
N Directions to Mount Dora from north on I-95 General Amphicar Discussion 0
N Mount Dora Update: General Amphicar Discussion 2
N Ahoy all Mount Dora Bound members - General Amphicar Discussion 1
T Speaking of Mount Dora - Southern Hospitality General Amphicar Discussion 0
N Mount Dora General Amphicar Discussion 9
C Mount Dora info needed General Amphicar Discussion 5
okey0 Engine OUT....how to mount on stand now? General Amphicar Discussion 9
S Blower Housing Motor & Mount General Amphicar Discussion 0
J Rear brake cable mount on backing plate General Amphicar Discussion 1
P Amphicar Alternator Mount General Amphicar Discussion 0
K Modified transmission mount bolts General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Radiator Mount General Amphicar Discussion 0
R Substitute for Radiator Mount General Amphicar Discussion 4
K Steering box mount cracking - revisited General Amphicar Discussion 5
S Transmission Mount Reinforcement General Amphicar Discussion 1
E Engine Mount Template General Amphicar Discussion 0
T radiator rubber (buffer) mount substitute 9-30-38 General Amphicar Discussion 1
M Engine Mount Problem General Amphicar Discussion 2
Midwest Amphicar Celebration of Life for Grand Pa Wave , Mt Dora March 27,28,29 2015 General Amphicar Discussion 0
Midwest Amphicar It is almost time for doin Dora General Amphicar Discussion 1
SNOWBIRD Mt Dora Swim in General Amphicar Discussion 5
M Alligator shooting contest at Mt Dora swim in General Amphicar Discussion 1
R Mt. Dora General Amphicar Discussion 13
Midwest Amphicar Mt Dora time is coming up quickly!!! Please join us 3/ 21/2013 General Amphicar Discussion 2
R Mt. Dora 2013 dates General Amphicar Discussion 7
R !5th Annual Mt. Dora Swim-In makes the Orlando Sentinel paper General Amphicar Discussion 3
Midwest Amphicar March in Mt Dora expanded schedule-swap meet-vendors-airplane General Amphicar Discussion 10
Midwest Amphicar Mt Dora Amphicar show meeting Jan 28th General Amphicar Discussion 1
Midwest Amphicar Gators Amphicar Grand Opening, Mt Dora's get it started party (Leesburg, Fl) General Amphicar Discussion 0
SNOWBIRD MT. DORA General Amphicar Discussion 3
LSolheim Lake Dora: How was it? General Amphicar Discussion 4
Midwest Amphicar Lake Dora show not soon enough General Amphicar Discussion 3
S Update/correction to Lake Dora Swim-In Info General Amphicar Discussion 0
S Lake Dora florida Swim-In General Amphicar Discussion 0
Midwest Amphicar Mt Dora/ Tavares Show General Amphicar Discussion 3
Midwest Amphicar Leesburg Tavares Mt Dora General Amphicar Discussion 0
P Lake Dora 2010 General Amphicar Discussion 1
Midwest Amphicar Dora Tavares show General Amphicar Discussion 2
S Re Lake Dora Show & Registrsation General Amphicar Discussion 4
S Lake Dora Update from Peter Fredsall General Amphicar Discussion 4
S Lake Dora Swim-In General Amphicar Discussion 14
Midwest Amphicar How many -4 degree days till Mt Dora? General Amphicar Discussion 1