Mount Dora - HURRAH

N

nelson625@aol.com

<table style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff">
John (Amphipoda)and all Amphicarites -

I'll get you a good article shortly, butMount Dora really lived up to its reputation. 9th Annual Swim-Inand<font size="4">IT WASFANTASTIC.</font><font size="2">Perfect weather for the 9th year in a row and it was outstanding - sunny with a cloudless sky. Some think the best ever, though temperatures were in the low 70's but minimal breeze. We understand it was somewhat cooloer elsewhere in the country. I am a warm weather person and would just as soon it had been 80 to 85 degrees. The Event was wonderful. Wefielded altogether 16 Amphicars with only 1 light Blue and 2 white, but Seven Aqua (Fjord Green)- the rest were red, of course, except fora pretty medium blue from Pennsylvania. 2 people showed up - one from West Palm Beach and one from the Atlanta area who had never had their cars in the water before. I was the first one to encounter the fellow from West Palm Beach who had only bought hisa month agoand it needs a full restoration. However, it starts and runs well. I first took him for a ride inmy "Split Personality." Thenwe took out the rear seat so we could keep an eye on things and I had the "thrill" of taking him in the water in his car for the first time with paddles, tow rope and life preservers at hand. All went well. We made only a short excursion but the doors didn't leak at all and he was a pretty happy camper. We could see some water intrusion from the rear, but not excessive and we know he has rust across the rear of the vehicle.There were enough "experts" around to help him diagnose strange sounds and question mark areas. He had ridden in an Amphicar once before about 1985 on Daytona Beach and Peter Fredsall poured through his pictures and came up with the "psychedelic colored" Amphicar in which the fellow had previously ridden and which Peter had photographed way back then.</font>

Again, you'll hear it all, but it was a great show - great Captain's Party Friday night, concurrent with the Woodie get-together where our 1948 Ford Wagon was part of a group of 19 Woodies decorously scattered around the penninsula leading out to the Lake Dora lighthouse. There werescads of beautiful antique boats as well as some very unique ones including a steam powered job and a special craft used to recover our space capsules from the ocean. Our Saturday night banquet wasas usual fantastic and everyone had a great time. Sunday had the best turnout of Amphicars ever (for Sunday at Mount Dora). More later.

Vic (Capt. Splash) Nelson with the aqua 1967 "Split Personality"

T

Thomas Laferriere

<table style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff">
<span class="887234118-27032006">The gentleman you are talking about sounds like the guy who bought my Amphi. I am glad to hear he got it in the water.</span>
<span class="887234118-27032006"></span>
<span class="887234118-27032006">Tom Laferriere</span>
<blockquote>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" dir="ltr" align="left"><font face="Tahoma">-----Original Message-----
From: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of nelson625@aol.com
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 10:33 AM
To: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [amphicar-lovers] Mount Dora - HURRAH

</font><tt>
John (Amphipoda)and all Amphicarites -

I'll get you a good article shortly, butMount Dora really lived up to its reputation. 9th Annual Swim-Inand<font size="4">IT WASFANTASTIC.</font><font size="2">Perfect weather for the 9th year in a row and it was outstanding - sunny with a cloudless sky. Some think the best ever, though temperatures were in the low 70's but minimal breeze. We understand it was somewhat cooloer elsewhere in the country. I am a warm weather person and would just as soon it had been 80 to 85 degrees. The Event was wonderful. Wefielded altogether 16 Amphicars with only 1 light Blue and 2 white, but Seven Aqua (Fjord Green)- the rest were red, of course, except fora pretty medium blue from Pennsylvania. 2 people showed up - one from West Palm Beach and one from the Atlanta area who had never had their cars in the water before. I was the first one to encounter the fellow from West Palm Beach who had only bought hisa month agoand it needs a full restoration. However, it starts and runs well. I first took him for a ride inmy "Split Personality." Thenwe took out the rear seat so we could keep an eye on things and I had the "thrill" of taking him in the water in his car for the first time with paddles, tow rope and life preservers at hand. All went well. We made only a short excursion but the doors didn't leak at all and he was a pretty happy camper. We could see some water intrusion from the rear, but not excessive and we know he has rust across the rear of the vehicle.There were enough "experts" around to help him diagnose strange sounds and question mark areas. He had ridden in an Amphicar once before about 1985 on Daytona Beach and Peter Fredsall poured through his pictures and came up with the "psychedelic colored" Amphicar in which the fellow had previously ridden and which Peter had photographed way back then.</font>

Again, you'll hear it all, but it was a great show - great Captain's Party Friday night, concurrent with the Woodie get-together where our 1948 Ford Wagon was part of a group of 19 Woodies decorously scattered around the penninsula leading out to the Lake Dora lighthouse. There werescads of beautiful antique boats as well as some very unique ones including a steam powered job and a special craft used to recover our space capsules from the ocean. Our Saturday night banquet wasas usual fantastic and everyone had a great time. Sunday had the best turnout of Amphicars ever (for Sunday at Mount Dora). More later.

Vic (Capt. Splash) Nelson with the aqua 1967 "Split Personality"</tt>