Molasses and Rust Removal

B

Bill Connelly

<table id="role_body" style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Comic Sans MS" bottomMargin="7" bgColor="#c8e0d8" leftMargin="7" topMargin="7" rightMargin="7">
<font face="Arial" size="3">With all of the chatter on the List lately about galvanizing, zinc treatments and other rust prevention and removal techniques, maybe it'san appropriate time to share the results of a little test I did with molasses. Some of you may recall my and others' previous postings about the rust removal properties of molasses.</font>
<font face="Arial" size="3"></font>
<font face="Arial" size="3">Like most of you, I happen to have "bits bin" </font><font face="Arial" size="3">of old random ironmongery: nuts, bolts, washers, screws, springs, old steel vehicle bits, Jimmy Hoffa's cufflinksand the like. Unlike most of you, I didn't have the sense to store my bin of ferrous fiddlery far enough away from the basement sink, so my collection got the benefit of several-many weeks worth of standingwater to form a nice thick crumbly oxide...real boilerroom of the Titanic action. (Umm...if you'denjoy appropriate background musicat this point in the tale, just click here).</font>
<font face="Arial" size="3">So anyway, after shakingthebrown mess around a bitin a sieve under a running tap to loosen up and rinse away the loose scale and rust dust, the picture below below shows a random sample of what remained after drying:</font>
<div align="center">

<font face="Arial" size="3">Next, I threw the whole mess back into the little coverless plastic trash can that serves as my bits bin, mixed up a solution of about half a pint of molassesand a half gallon or so of tap water (just about enough to cover it all) and then just let it sit for a few weeks, giving the can a little shake and a swish now and then when I went down to bring the drugged gruel to the hitchhikers I keep chained behind the water heater.The picture below shows what emerged about a month later:</font>
<div align="center">

<font face="Arial" size="3">So, clearly that old mechanics' wives tale about molasses dissolving rust is true. For my next trick, when I finally get around to rebuilding my trusty old shed-bound Norton motorcycle (that once upon a time took me to my very first Swim-In), as well as reprising the molasses technique, I might also try cleaning its many aluminum alloy engine partsby boiling them in a huge pot with rhubarb, which is something I'dfirst heard of in Scotland. Just think how overjoyed Mrs. Bilgey will be!...even more so, when I mix the two concoctions and makePIE! ("Never fear dear, the heavier bits willsettle on the bottom, so I'll just scoop off the top part like this, see?")</font>
<font face="Arial" size="3">Bon Appetit!</font>
<font face="Arial" size="3">~Bilgey~</font></img></img>
</td></tr>
Attachment: (image/jpeg) molassesbefore.JPG [not stored]</td></tr>
Attachment: (image/jpeg) molassesafter.JPG [not stored]

B

Bill Connelly

<table id="role_body" style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Comic Sans MS" bottomMargin="7" bgColor="#c8e0d8" leftMargin="7" topMargin="7" rightMargin="7">
<font face="Arial" size="3">With all of the chatter on the List lately about galvanizing, zinc treatments and other rust prevention and removal techniques, maybe it'san appropriate time to share the results of a little test I did with molasses. Some of you may recall my and others' previous postings about the rust removal properties of molasses.</font>
<font face="Arial" size="3">Like most of you, I happen to have "bits bin" </font><font face="Arial" size="3">of old random ironmongery: nuts, bolts, washers, screws, springs, old steel vehicle bits, Jimmy Hoffa's cufflinksand the like. Unlike most of you, I didn't have the sense to store my bin of ferrous fiddlery far enough away from the basement sink, so my collection got the benefit of several-many weeks worth of standingwater to form a nice thick crumbly oxide...real boilerroom of the Titanic action. (Umm...if you'denjoy appropriate background musicat this point in the tale, just click here).</font>
<font face="Arial" size="3">So anyway, after shakingthebrown mess around a bitin a sieve under a running tap to loosen up and rinse away the loose scale and rust dust, the picture below below shows a random sample of what remained after drying:</font>
<div align="center">

<font face="Arial" size="3">Next, I threw the whole mess back into the little coverless plastic trash can that serves as my bits bin, mixed up a solution of about half a pint of molassesand a half gallon or so of tap water (just about enough to cover it all) and then just let it sit for a few weeks, giving the can a little shake and a swish now and then when I went down to bring the drugged gruel to the hitchhikers I keep chained behind the water heater.The picture below shows what emerged about a month later:</font>
<div align="center">

<font face="Arial" size="3">So, clearly that old mechanics' wives tale about molasses dissolving rust is true. For my next trick, when I finally get around to rebuilding my trusty old shed-bound Norton motorcycle (that once upon a time took me to my very first Swim-In), as well as reprising the molasses technique, I might also try cleaning its many aluminum alloy engine partsby boiling them in a huge pot with rhubarb, which is something I'dfirst heard of in Scotland. Just think how overjoyed Mrs. Bilgey will be!...even more so, when I mix the two concoctions and makePIE! ("Never fear dear, the heavier bits willsettle on the bottom, so I'll just scoop off the top part like this, see?")</font>
<font face="Arial" size="3">Bon Appetit!</font>
<font face="Arial" size="3">~Bilgey~</font></img></img>
</td></tr>
Attachment: (image/jpeg) molassesbefore.JPG [not stored]</td></tr>
Attachment: (image/jpeg) molassesafter.JPG [not stored]

L

lah20car@aol.com

<font FACE="arial,helvetica"><font SIZE="3" PTSIZE="12" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">what emerged about a month later:

</font><font COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE="2" PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">I'm impressed, but man, what did you do with that wire, people on ebay will pay good money for an original Amphicar wire.</font>

L

lah20car@aol.com

<font FACE="arial,helvetica"><font SIZE="3" PTSIZE="12" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">what emerged about a month later:

</font><font COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE="2" PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">I'm impressed, but man, what did you do with that wire, people on ebay will pay good money for an original Amphicar wire.</font>

B

Bill Connelly

I'm impressed, but man, what did you do with that wire, people on ebay will
pay good money for an original Amphicar wire.

> Well, nothing's too good for the hitchhikers I keep chained up behind the
water heater.

B

Bill Connelly

I'm impressed, but man, what did you do with that wire, people on ebay will
pay good money for an original Amphicar wire.

> Well, nothing's too good for the hitchhikers I keep chained up behind the
water heater.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SNOWBIRD Rust inside frame rails General Amphicar Discussion 8
Jon March rust and scale in frames? Try new Rust Twister ! General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Carwell rust inhibitor products General Amphicar Discussion 1
H Rust Proofing General Amphicar Discussion 17
C Rust free body with extra NOS transmission on Ebay General Amphicar Discussion 3
P More Rust General Amphicar Discussion 1
J Rust at the Front Wheel Wells General Amphicar Discussion 0
R Thanks John & Brian (Hood Rust) General Amphicar Discussion 0
E Rust proofing General Amphicar Discussion 23
A Wheel Rim Rust General Amphicar Discussion 1
E Rust in saltwater General Amphicar Discussion 0
D paints rust bullet General Amphicar Discussion 1
P rust control General Amphicar Discussion 1
P Amphi rust prevention General Amphicar Discussion 1
M CounterAct anti-rust system General Amphicar Discussion 1
E Jacking Plates and Rust General Amphicar Discussion 0
B SV: Rust conversion General Amphicar Discussion 0
F Rust conversion General Amphicar Discussion 5
C Quarter panel rust General Amphicar Discussion 2
A Stopping rust electronically General Amphicar Discussion 6
A Another rust related repost General Amphicar Discussion 0
M Anti-Rust Question General Amphicar Discussion 0
C Evapo-rust General Amphicar Discussion 0
D rust General Amphicar Discussion 10
C Rust In Peace, Boomer General Amphicar Discussion 0
D Rust Ahoy General Amphicar Discussion 0
Jacques B. Amphicar Axle shaft removal from the gearbox General Amphicar Discussion 5
dutchamphi Oil drain plug removal General Amphicar Discussion 2
sdreich Amphi Transmission Removal General Amphicar Discussion 5
S Shifter rod removal? Drill frame boxes? General Amphicar Discussion 8
P Window Glass Removal General Amphicar Discussion 2
P Propellor Removal General Amphicar Discussion 4
L Prop Shaft Removal Problem (was Noisy Prop Shaft Tubes) General Amphicar Discussion 2
M Tranny Gear Lube Removal General Amphicar Discussion 5
C Axle shaft removal General Amphicar Discussion 4
W Engine Removal General Amphicar Discussion 13
E Clutch Housing Bolt Removal General Amphicar Discussion 1
E Transmission Removal General Amphicar Discussion 5
E Windshield Wiper Motor Removal General Amphicar Discussion 1
T Front wheel bearing removal? General Amphicar Discussion 5
A New Topic: Paint Removal General Amphicar Discussion 0
M Prop shaft removal clarification needed General Amphicar Discussion 2
A Transmission Removal Debate General Amphicar Discussion 2
B Glass Removal General Amphicar Discussion 0
C Steering Wheel Removal General Amphicar Discussion 10