Merry Christmas

MAE

Amphicar Expert
To all our Amphicar Friends. What a great group of people to be associated with. Peace
Mike & Chris

Ran across this photo of my blue car as found in 2000. Will never forget digging it out!BlueBuried.jpg

jfriese

Hi Mike,

You probably don't remember but the hood from this car is on my Red car today. It took a ton or work to get rid of much of the fiberglass that the owner had packed onto it and it's still heavier than an original hood. I still periodically grouse about that hood switch you did all those years ago. Grrrr.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

jfriese

Mike bought, and perhaps still buys, and sells cars from all over and in all kind of conditions. My Red car was one of his flipped cars that was a total basket case when I bought it. I was totally new to the Amphicar world and this pile was the first car I bought. He obviously wanted the better hood that was on my basket case car and switch this blue hood to my car. I don't blame him. How would he know what a fanatic, and long surviving, Amphicar owner I would be. A lot of people come and go to most hobbies and that's true of Amphicar owners too. Dave Derer remembers this hood too because he had to spend hours getting much of that fiberglass pulled out of it. You can't see any fiberglass today but the hood is still noticeably heavier than the original hood on my White car. I guess what fiberglass is left is hiding somewhere inside the frame rails and perhaps the top skin.

Dave,
I paid $15000 for the car in 2001 and if I only paid you $2500 for your efforts, I got a deal. We both learned a lot from that project car. It's amazing how good it looks and runs today. Gee, and only an additional $55k or so added over its next 5 years to get it this way. We ran it a lot and it was the test bed for my high performance clutch system.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Last edited: