Lets Play Quarters!!

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
SANY0136.JPGSANY0137.JPGSANY0140.JPG This almost never happens. Just a small patch. Filling it up with goo did not help. Stuff shrinks and usually takes the paint (if any) with it. If You have "stuff" keep an eye on any separation. Add some of your favorite stop rust and reseal.
So today was remove. I like to replace as little as needed. I make as much or as little of quarters as I need. Than take plenty of time fitting. I pre shrink or stretch the panels as needed.
Later I will make drop of patch. Clean and pre paint all insides of panels before welding.

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
Its funny doing some jobs. Car has assorted issues of rust , dents and dullness. So final blocking was shortened. Paint was "dulled". Goal was to make it look like it was never fixed. I think I won this round. I also think Dave Manthey would approve, since it was his car. Stay smooth.

richard pratt

so confusing repairs o/s final picture n/s or am i missing something richard p
Its funny doing some jobs. Car has assorted issues of rust , dents and dullness. So final blocking was shortened. Paint was "dulled". Goal was to make it look like it was never fixed. I think I won this round. I also think Dave Manthey would approve, since it was his car. Stay smooth.

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
You have to know Dave to understand Him.
all the picks are the Right side. the final view is the Left side???
Hey Dave ;;;I have a Tangerine interor kit in Fl. with NOS Tops on doors
That car sure needs them.

okey0

i'm getting ready to do this repair, and my car has about the same level of decay on the quarters as the one in the photos above. I've been debating just cutting out the bad metal as done above, or should I cut all the way up to where the trim piece is--that way, the welded area would be hidden behind the trim piece when completed. personally, I think cutting out the least amount of metal is best, but thought id ask the group for others' experience.

Cap'n John

i'm getting ready to do this repair, and my car has about the same level of decay on the quarters as the one in the photos above. I've been debating just cutting out the bad metal as done above, or should I cut all the way up to where the trim piece is--that way, the welded area would be hidden behind the trim piece when completed. personally, I think cutting out the least amount of metal is best, but thought id ask the group for others' experience.
If it's in a area that can't be seen from the inside, If you have skills, less is more. In this case, the inside seam can be hidden behind the trim backer so it's invisible when you open the engine cover.

I have always told people, DO NOT FILL THE VOID with anything. Whatever you use will only trap moisture speeding up the rust. Good metal prep is best. Ideally I believe Gord has the best method of installing a drain in ea side. Sometimes the best way to win the war against rust is to allow the water in and then give it a way out.