Koni Shocks

DavidC

Amphicar Expert
Does anyone have a set of Koni front shocks ? The later type that go through the body. If so what is the part number ? It should be similar to the rear ones which are 82-2301.

Reason for asking is Koni have setup a classic division and it may be possible to have them made again.

Bit of background for Jon and others new-ish to Amphicar.
Shocks have been a topic for years. The originals can be good even after 50 years, I have a set of original Boge on the front of my Amphicar at the moment and they work perfectly. If you can find a good set use them.

In the late 80s Hugh Gordon had Koni in the Netherlands make some shocks for Amphicar, these were OE quality and work really well. I use these Konis on the rear of my car. It would be great to have these remade, I know Hugh tried but Koni upped the minimum order from a few hundred to thousands. With their new classic division it looks like that has changed. If I can find the part number of the late model fronts I plan to ask Koni - I think there may have been a Koni version for the front of early cars where the shocks don't go through the hull, can't remember, if anyone knows what was the part number for that version as well ?

The Aldons that Dave Derer supplies are good and are what I would use if I needed shocks today.

One of the black repro fronts of far eastern origin that Gordons sell now had a catastrophic failure at an Amphicar meet in Germany in 2014 and was examined by a number of Amphicar owners after the car was recovered. I don't think anyone there would use those shocks on a road going Amphicar. If you have them fitted then check the weld quality carefully and often.

David C

MAE

Amphicar Expert
David,
I have a full set of the Koni shocks your speaking of on one of my cars. They sure solve any shock issues on these cars and are great. I'll get the part number asap to you. Also have a set of NOS Boge's, late style. Always wondered if they would still give good service if put into use. I figured they would. Do you know if anyone has ever checked with Boge about making them.

Jon March

Thanks David & Mike - this is the first ive heard about Konis. I would love to know more. I am considering a set of 6-setting Aldans offered to me, but being rather old, will prob need to be rebuilt, which costs $120 a pair, plus shipping. Plus springs, which I would have to tinker with to try to get the soft ride i prefer - ive heard that the front single-circuit Aldans with their springs can be rather stiff, and the rears even moreso, being dial-circuit. Ken Chambers and Sam Ferge seem to have done quite a bit of research on spring copmpression, etc. If i am understanding it right, i think the sock Amphi springs are 350lb rear and 250 lb front? Maybe 300lb aldan springs rear and 175 front would make the rise more supple like i prefer? But very interested in the info about the Konis as well....apparently GI is completely sold out of the front replacements they had made, and are trying to make another run. They do still have rears in stock tho for 175 ea i believe

Last edited:

DavidC

Amphicar Expert
Thanks Mike, that's great, if you could email me some photos as well that'd help, and any other numbers on the box. I painted the Konis on my car black so it'd confuse Koni if I sent them pics of mine. Boge are making some shocks but very limited range at the moment, I will keep on to them.
This has all started because manufacturers, particularly Porsche and Mercedes are remanfacturing cars and so of course are asking their current suppliers for parts as they were supplied say 50 years ago - and the parts suppliers see the benefits of then selling them to owners directly. Biggest benefit for us is the quality is where it needs to be if manufactured by the original company. Porsche charge around $100K in labour alone to rebuild a customers 356 so they insist on OE quality not Chinese rubbish.
Jon, you don't want to be much softer than original or you''ll be grounding on boat ramps. Amphicar got it just right, there is a fair bit of bounce in the original seat which also helps. Amphicar is no Rolls Royce but it is much more comfy and compliant than something like a modern Audi.

Jon March

Thanks David & Mike - are these Konis bayonet mount (as i need )for the front?
And are they even available?!

Im assuming they are single-circuit, oil shocks? I believe the Aldans are single oil circuit for front, dual oil circuit for rear..,and possibly(?) Gas/nitrogen as well?

Last edited:

MAE

Amphicar Expert
The Koni late type front shock (bolt through the hull) part number is 82-1670.

MAE

Amphicar Expert
Jon,
I didn't look since David had the rear number already. Yes, the Koni shocks are night and day better than the other replacements and even a huge improvement over the originals. They were on my car anyway.
Mike

DavidC

Amphicar Expert
Jon, I've sent an email to Koni Classic in Holland with the numbers and details to see if they can supply them. Will update here when I hear back.