Issue with new replacement carburetor

Propcar50

Just wondering if anyone using the new replacement carburetor sold by Gordons is experiencing what I'm experiencing. I get a huge hesitation after hard acceleration. That is, when I ease up on the gas after hard acceleration, I get a 1/4-1/2 second hesitation, and then it kicks in again. Is there a way to correct this?
Randy

I think I incorrectly characterized what's happening. Hard acceleration sounds like I'm red-lining the engine as I go through the gears. That would be Amphicar abuse. Should have said "full throttle". It happens when I'm cruising at speed, come to a hill and the speed starts to drop. Down goes the accelerator, which, given how under-powered these cars are, is not unusual. The hesitation happens as the road levels out and I ease off the gas. Only happens when the pedal has been to the floor.

Last edited:

LSolheim

Just wondering if anyone using the new replacement carburetor sold by Gordons is experiencing what I'm experiencing. I get a huge hesitation after hard acceleration. That is, when I ease up on the gas after hard acceleration, I get a 1/4-1/2 second hesitation, and then it kicks in again. Is there a way to correct this?
Randy
I've had other issues with the new carb, but not that one. Even had to change out the mainfold studs for enough length to retain the phenolic spacer due to the thicker carburetor base.
This actually sounds as if it could be a timing issue. Are you running standard ignition with points or a Pertronix?

Propcar50

I've had other issues with the new carb, but not that one. Even had to change out the mainfold studs for enough length to retain the phenolic spacer due to the thicker carburetor base.
This actually sounds as if it could be a timing issue. Are you running standard ignition with points or a Pertronix?
Been running Pertronix for several years. Didn't have the problem with the old, leaky carb. Started when I installed the new carb. I also had to extend the mounting studs.