Is everyone dead? No chat about Gordon's

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
FEMA may need to rescue this forum. Probably most are crossing the waters to rescue Haitians with their Amphis.
Am I the only one that is (hate to say it) impressed with the new offerings from Gordon Imports. I just wish they would get rid off all the bogus core charges.
Amphicar prices. Yes Az Paul they have come down a bit. But the 50k market is still very strong. I was very content with nice gradual increases, and then that amazing day. So even in a ( recession if your neighbor is out of work, a depression if you are out of work) changing market the Amphis are not sinking.
WINTER SUCKS later Dave the cabin fever Wave

azpaul50

Hey Dave! I think what you're saying is that prices rose then fell but settled at a higher tier than before. With more vehicles than I should have, that is pretty much the case across the board so far. I watch a wide variety of auto/motorcycle interests in some cases just because I had one once or twice before. The fact is that value based buying is based on trends rather than single auctions. Ebay behavior, for example, is more telling but admittedly related to high visibility auctions. Auctions generate interest but have no impact on consumer capacity or credit. Also thinking what you are saying but stating it differently, the cars are one factor (supply in various price tiers) but right now market demand (at various price tiers) is still calling the shots and will continue at least through 2010-11. - azpaul50

To: azpaul50@hotmail.com
Subject: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20681] Is everyone dead? No chat about Gordon's
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 18:47:40 -0500

FEMA may need to rescue this forum. Probably most are crossing the waters to rescue Haitians with their Amphis.
Am I the only one that is (hate to say it) impressed with the new offerings from Gordon Imports. I just wish they would get rid off all the bogus core charges.
Amphicar prices. Yes Az Paul they have come down a bit. But the 50k market is still very strong. I was very content with nice gradual increases, and then that amazing day. So even in a ( recession if your neighbor is out of work, a depression if you are out of work) changing market the Amphis are not sinking.
WINTER SUCKS later Dave the cabin fever Wave

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
When I saw the new shocks at an EXCELLENT price I was very impressed.* They are less than I just paid for Edelbrock shocks on my '68 Cutlass.* I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of those stainless steel exhaust systems.

My one suggestion, as more new items become available, is that part numbers should be appended with either an "R" for Reproduction or an "S" for Substitute.* This would make it easier to know how close to original an item actually is.

But yes, I second the motion in offering kudos to Gordons on some of their most recent offerings.

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
Nice quarters, where did you get 'em? I almost called you when I saw "Old Cars Weekly" write up about a concept dream car you were doing. Later Dave

tpls63

The quarters came from some guy down in northern Illinois who rides the
waves named Dave the Wave.
Thanks Dave!

Midwest Amphicar wrote:

> Nice quarters, where did you get 'em? I almost called you when I saw
> "Old Cars Weekly" write up about a concept dream car you were doing.
> Later Dave
>
>

tpls63

BTW, I sold the 1954 Mercury XM-800 Concept Car at the RM Auction in
Phoenix in January.
The sale was a little disappointing but at least I made a few bucks on
it and it went to a nice home in Chicago. The current '65 Amphi will be
ready to splash down about the same time as ice out up here. I'm really
looking forward to it. To see the XM-800 or other great projects I've
done visit www.tbirdsquare.com

Midwest Amphicar wrote:

> Nice quarters, where did you get 'em? I almost called you when I saw
> "Old Cars Weekly" write up about a concept dream car you were doing.
> Later Dave
>
>

No comments about the stainless steel bodies?? I agree w/ DTW and dont like the core fees. If Amphi GURU is here. Love the newest horn shells w/ all holes punched out, the windshield post trim, rear bumpers trim, stainless cables, hood marine light, front shocks...the list goes and goes! But would like to see a driveshaft rebuild program, send in your old cores and get em back with new joints, boots and grease zerts where we need them priced at what it costs to have joints put in my truck axles, not what it costs to rebuild an engine! Just my 2 cents

Cap'n John

Re: Is everyone dead? Nochat about Gordon's

I would love to see those changes too. Hugh has just recently been offering "kits" of certain items that include all you need for that project. I made that suggestion to him 10 years ago! I have always offered him friendly advice to improve the offerings and his bottom line. Sad it took so long. I'm loving that he is finally understanding that if he makes quality parts nobody will be tempted to do it themselves. I love that he recently has stepped up his game. Kudos to Gordan Imports!

I wsh he would back his products better. I have spent enough with him that when a new part breaks, it should he replaced without question. That has not been the case. I have not even returned many a part that I got from him that was substandard, but when my new prop broke (broke in half, leaving both keyways and prop nut intact) , he blamed the customer and I had to replace it out of my pocket.
Sent from my BlackBerry

-----Original Message-----
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:07:00
To: <rma@amphicar.com>
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20681] Re: Is everyone dead? No
chat about Gordon's

No comments about the stainless steel bodies?? I agree w/ DTW and dont like the core fees. If Amphi GURU is here. Love the newest horn shells w/ all holes punched out, the windshield post trim, rear bumpers trim, stainless cables, hood marine light, front shocks...the list goes and goes! But would like to see a driveshaft rebuild program, send in your old cores and get em back with new joints, boots and grease zerts where we need them priced at what it costs to have joints put in my truck axles, not what it costs to rebuild an engine! Just my 2 cents

hadleyohlinger

Re: Is everyone dead? Nochat about Gordon's

cap'n john; I'm sure you're a great guy and knowledgeable too. but lets let old issues slip into the past. We all have our beefs but it's time to get on with life as it is remarks like this that fester in our own lives and drag us down. Smile and think of the good things.
Hadley
61 white

--- On Tue, 2/16/10, Cap'n John <> wrote:

Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20681] Re: Is everyone dead? Nochat about Gordon's
To: hadleyohlinger@yahoo.ca
Received: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 9:34 AM

I would love to see those changes too. Hugh has just recently been offering "kits" of certain items that include all you need for that project. I made that suggestion to him 10 years ago! I have always offered him friendly advice to improve the offerings and his bottom line. Sad it took so long. I'm loving that he is finally understanding that if he makes quality parts nobody will be tempted to do it themselves. I love that he recently has stepped up his game. Kudos to Gordan Imports!

I wsh he would back his products better. I have spent enough with him that when a new part breaks, it should he replaced without question. That has not been the case. I have not even returned many a part that I got from him that was substandard, but when my new prop broke (broke in half, leaving both keyways and prop nut intact) , he blamed the customer and I had to replace it out of my pocket.
Sent from my BlackBerry

-----Original Message-----
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:07:00
To:
chat about Gordon's

cigarman

Amphicar Expert
I have been dealing with Gordon Imports for almost 9 years and have never had a problem with them. For the past 2 years since I have been working on customer's cars, I have been dealing with Gordon's even more closely on a weekly basis. They will work with you as much as they can whenever they can. I have seen Hugh replace a prop no questions asked... Also anytime I get something that is not quite right he replaces it. They run a business that I am sure costs a ton to operate and need to meet the bottom line... As far as core charges It is a necessary for the future of parts. If he didn't charge it people would just throw it away and it is gone.
It is good to see some positives said about Gordon's for without them where would we all be with our cars???

Cigarman
Great Lakes Amphicar
Capon23@aol.com

R

Ron Green

I am glad to see that Gordon Imports is willing to put forth the $ to develop and market new products, especially when they should be kicking back and enjoying retirement.

Whomever carries on this business down the road, we can only hope that they are as amphi and people friendly, including willing to spend many hours fielding calls on "how too assemble" type questions.

Ron Green

Ed Price

I also have been buying from Gordon Imports since 2002, and I have nothing
but praise for their operation. Hugh Gordon has spent considerable time
freely explaining things to me, both by phone and in person. Jeanie &
Sherrie always are nice to talk to, and process my order easily, quickly and
accurately. Gordon Imports always ships parts shockingly fast, and every
order has been 100% accurate. I have never ordered something only to find
the promised shipment was delayed or back-ordered or had to be cancelled. On
items which were not immediately available, my account has not been debited
until the item was shipped!

Some businesses will sell what they have available, and when that's gone,
everybody has no choice left; it's nothing for everybody. A company that
tries to maintain long-term operation will often use the "core" system,
where they buy back rebuildable worn out parts from the consumer. Sure, it's
labor intensive, but the supply of parts can be stretched much further,
which is better for everybody.

A really dedicated company will commission new, "re-created" parts,
extending the parts supply infinitely. This is the best scenario, with new
parts, meeting or exceeding OEM specs, available in stock.

Unfortunately, heaven has a steep price! Could anyone owning an Amphi expect
that parts for a limited production run, 50 year old, foreign car would be
cheaply available at NAPA or Pep Boys? You can't compare paying $20 for a
part at NAPA for your 72 Ford with not finding that part at any cost at NAPA
for your Amphi! And once you do find that part available, and the vendor
wants maybe $75 plus a core cost, how can you really complain; the choice is
$75 or make it yourself. Maybe that's a viable choice if you happen to have
your own nice automotive machine shop, but most of us realize that the
expensive, yet available part frees us to put our own efforts to better use.

Well, I got a little off-track talking about core workings, so I'll just say
that, based on my actual experiences, I can think of no company that is more
user-friendly, efficient and honest than Gordon Imports. BTW, full
disclosure; I have about $300 of parts waiting for me at Gordon Imports, and
I'll be at the Dry Swim-in on the 26th to pick them up. Finally, the several
pieces of bulk candy included in each parts shipment has not influenced my
opinion of GI. <g>

Ed Price
El Cajon, CA USA
WB6WSN
1961 Amphicar
1987 MB 420SEL

_____

Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 9:48 AM
To: edprice@cox.net
chat about Gordon's

I have been dealing with Gordon Imports for almost 9 years and have never
had a problem with them. For the past 2 years since I have been working on
customer's cars, I have been dealing with Gordon's even more closely on a
weekly basis. They will work with you as much as they can whenever they can.
I have seen Hugh replace a prop no questions asked... Also anytime I get
something that is not quite right he replaces it. They run a business that I
am sure costs a ton to operate and need to meet the bottom line... As far as
core charges It is a necessary for the future of parts. If he didn't charge
it people would just throw it away and it is gone.
It is good to see some positives said about Gordon's for without them where
would we all be with our cars???

Cigarman
Great Lakes Amphicar
Capon23@aol.com

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Great Lakes Amphicar
Mechanical work, Body Repair & Storage
South Beloit, Illinois
Email: <mailto:capon23@aol.com> capon23@aol.com
You can be assured that it will be done right the first time!

Cigarman