Important Announcement. Moving the Amphicar Lovers Forum FAQ.

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off-Topic Chit-Chat' started by mike_israel, Dec 25, 2007.

1. mike_israel

mike_israel Amphicar Forum Admin
    Staff Member

Hi All,

After three years of debating the issue, I have decided to move the Amphicar-Lovers Digest/Forum off of Yahoo to a dedicated site at http://www.amphicar770.com The cut over will likely take place by the end of January 2008.

The move is based on feedback from list members. They have asked for better capabilities to store photos and documents, more powerful search of the 17,000 existing messages, ability to connect more easily to other members, etc. I will also be setting up a blogs session where members may share their amphibious ramblings. Additionally, I will create a seperate area for IAOC members only and a link to the IAOC. (Remember, the amphicar-lovers is not the IAOC so do if you are not a member do join the premiere Amphicar Owners Club at www.amphicar.com).

I will be migrating the existing YahooGroup archive to the new forum shortly. This way, you can search back to 2001. For testing purposes, you can currently search about a year back.

What should you do now? Well, get over to www.amphicar770.com and set up your account. (many of you have done so already in the past). This way you will be all set when the cut over takes place. Do start trying out the various features of the forums, photo gallery, etc. Send me your feedback to amphicar770@yahoo.com. I am especially intererested in what you like, dislike, bugs or problems, etc.

Note: If you are seeing google ads within the messages it means you are visiting as a guest. Registered users who log-in will not see these within the messages.

Cheers,

Mike Israel
    Amhicar-Lovers Owner/Admin

2. cigarman

cigarman Amphicar Expert

Re: Important Announcement. Moving the Amphicar Lovers Forum.

Be brave folks!
    New is not always bad, It is usually better! I like what I see so far. Once Mike sets up the emails I think it will be great. I will posting some pictures myself next chance I get . Happy New Year to all...

Cigarman

3. mike_israel

Staff Member

Re: Important Announcement. Moving the Amphicar Lovers Forum.

Hello All,

As previously announced, the Amphicar-lovers forum/digest will soon be migrating from Yahoogroups to a new home at www.amphicar770. com. The targeted cut over date is SATURDAY, 12 JANUARY 2008. This FAQ is intended to answer some common questions related to the migration, what is changing, what you need to do, etc. This FAQ will be sent out several times between now and the cut-over to ensure it is seen by as many members as possible.

1. Why move from YahooGroup?

The amphicar-lovers migrated to YahooGroups in 2001. Previously it was hosted on a now defunct service known as Listbox. Today, there are 17,000 messages in the archives with approximately 500 members.

While Yahoo has served us well, it has its limitations. For example, the files area for storing pictures, manuals, etc., has been filled to capacity for many years. The procees for searching the archives is slow and cumbersome. The process of sigining up or opting out with Yahoo has always been confusing to folks and creates lots of work for the admin (me). Our new service overcomes these limitations and provides a platform to grow the community with new features such as Photo Gallety, Chat Room, bolgs, etc.

2. Will I still be Able to Send/Receive Messages via Email?

Yes, you will. One of the features users like best about YahooGroups is that they do not need to log into a forum web site everytime to see new messages. For amphicarlovers I have modified the software to accomodate the exact same functionality. Once your account is created you can opt to receive all messages instantly (full text, not just the title like on some forums). Registered users can post new messages and reply via email as well.

To enable email instant delivery and reply just go to the top menu item "User CP" - "Edit Forum Subscriptions" then select "instant notificatication by email" or "Set All Instant". To disable it, just click "unsubscribe" in any of the received email messages.

3. What do I need to do?

You should register (create an account) at www.amphicar770. com as soon as possible. This way you will not miss any messages.

4. Will my existing Yahoo ID and password work on the new site?

No, it will not. You need to register and create an account at www.amphicar770. com While you may use the same ID name and password as you have elsewhere, this is a completly seperate system from Yahoo.

5. Can I still search all of the old messages from the Yahoo Group?

Yes. Just prior to the cutover I will be transfering all of the old messages to the new system. You will find that the new search capability is much easier and faster than before. At the moment I have migrated about 1 years worth for test purposes.

6. Will I still be able to use the old Yahoo Group.

On 12 January the existing YahooGroup will be closed to new posts and new members. You will still be able to access what is there, you will just not be able to update anything. Visitors will be directed to the new site.

7. I see several categories of forums such as "General Amphi Discussion", "For Sale", "IAOC Only". What gives?

It is always tricky determining the best way to set up buckets of info. So that visitors can stay mostly in one place we have chose to have only a few categories. We can add new categories in the future if users ask for it. For example, should Gibbs Aquada owners want their own area.

You will also see a "Testing Forum for New Users". This area is kind of a junk bucket if you want to post something just to become familiar with the site features. Test Forum messages do not get delivered via email.

8. I signed up a while ago but forgot my password / userid. What should I do?

If you enter the incorrect info, the error message will include a "click here to reset" link. Just enter the email address you registered with.

9. The Amphcar-Lovers Forum has been a valuable resource for me. How can I help?

Glad you asked!! Yes, there are many hundred dollars invested in the software, hosting, etc. invested here. Several hundred hours of labor on top of that. There are two ways you can help.

- There is a "Donate" button at www.amphicar770. com where you may make a Paypal contribution to the site in any amount. Contributions go toward site expenses. Even small donations are greatly appreciated.
    - You will notice Google Ads throughout the site. Each time you click on one of these, a few pennies are directed this way. You do not need to buy anything, just visit the ad sponsors and see what they have to offer.

10. I have other questions not addressed here?
    Just drop me a note at amphicar770@ yahoo.com

4. gzink

gzink Member

Is everyone else getting posts from this new site directly to email? Will not work for me even with the settings as indicated by Mike so maybe I misunderstood. I thought it would work like Yahoo where we would never have to log into the site and havet to try to sort through each thread to see what is new. I don't think I will have time this way. There may be others out there who are waiting for messages and don't know they are not coming.

5. LSolheim

LSolheim Member

The email system works fine for individual emails with all the detail.
    Summaries are just that, but the links are included. If you signed up per
    direction and are having trouble, make sure
    is in you address book and that your SPAM filter is not weeding these gems
    out!

Keep your fins warm!

--Larry
    -----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 6:39 AM
    To: LSolheim
    Subject: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-4582] RE: Important Announcement.
    Moving the Amphicar Lovers Forum FAQ.

Is everyone else getting posts from this new site directly to email? Will
    not work for me even with the settings as indicated by Mike so maybe I
    misunderstood. I thought it would work like Yahoo where we would never have
    to log into the site and havet to try to sort through each thread to see
    what is new. I don't think I will have time this way. There may be others
    out there who are waiting for messages and don't know they are not coming.

6. EricM

EricM New Member

I know I'm getting the messages just fine. You should be aware that I di need to check my spam filters on a regular basis. I think I've got that fixed.

But working fine here is chilly Chicago.

eric

gzink <> wrote:
    Is everyone else getting posts from this new site directly to email? Will not work for me even with the settings as indicated by Mike so maybe I misunderstood. I thought it would work like Yahoo where we would never have to log into the site and havet to try to sort through each thread to see what is new. I don't think I will have time this way. There may be others out there who are waiting for messages and don't know they are not coming.

7. mike_israel

Staff Member

As far as I am able to track, email messages are being sent toi everyone who has selected that option in UserCP. Problem delivery has to date either been.
    1) Persons did not set up for email delivery in User CP
    or
    2) Spam filter intercepting message. :dft004:

PLEASE NOTE: I have only set up the MAIN and CLASSIFIEDS forums for automatic email delivery. This feature has NOT been turned on for areas like "OFF TOPIC CHIT CHAT". This was to reduce volume of emails. I can set those up if demand is there???

And once again the little red x marks like this one :032: are simply smiley faces " :) " that the email link program does not seem to like.

8. inaintheboro

inaintheboro Member

What did you have to do to organize your spam filters? All of my new Amphicar group e-mail goes into my bulk folder so daily I have to check it & then I move the messages to my inbox. I know I have to do something with the spam filters but I don't know what to do. Can you give me an idea? Thanks. Ina (in the boro)
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: inaintheboro
    Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 4:16 PM
    Subject: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-4582] RE: Important Announcement. Moving the Amphicar Lovers Forum FAQ.

I know I'm getting the messages just fine. You should be aware that I di need to check my spam filters on a regular basis. I think I've got that fixed.

But working fine here is chilly Chicago.

eric

gzink <> wrote:

9. DavidC

DavidC Amphicar Expert

> What did you have to do to organize your spam filters? All of my new Amphicar group e-mail goes into my bulk folder so

You should be able to include a rule that says sender amphicar770.com is OK. However you might need to change email provider if it is being blocked upstream, for various reasons this new system is more likely to be blocked than the old Yahoo system, also mail delivery both ways is a lot slower - not sure why but it is. I only use email to read messages but looking at the numbers and threads I don't think I'm missing many - or any - messages.

Sometimes with Yahoo Groups messages are slow and can go astray but with a little local config work this new system should be almost as good. The benefits of the new system are for those that use the web based interface to read messages, of which there seem to be a lot in this group - maybe some Amphi people are more inclined to be web fingered !

David C

10. SplitPersonality

RE: Important Announcement. Moving t...

Just so you have a note back from me Mike, I am getting the e-mails fine and
    I see when I sent in an e-mail today, it came out fine on the net. I
    appreciate your explanation for the little red X's. I presume I am not the only one
    encountering these annoying little buggers. Smiley faces I won't miss much.
    Pictures that makes one wonder what they were are a different matter. Vic
    Nelson near Daytona with the 67 "Split Personality"

**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.
    http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

11. inaintheboro

inaintheboro Member

Just got your note. Thanks for the info. Will check it out. Ina
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: inaintheboro
    Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:15 AM
    Subject: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-4582] RE: Important Announcement. Moving the Amphicar Lovers Forum FAQ.

> What did you have to do to organize your spam filters? All of my new Amphicar group e-mail goes into my bulk folder so

You should be able to include a rule that says sender amphicar770.com is OK. However you might need to change email provider if it is being blocked upstream, for various reasons this new system is more likely to be blocked than the old Yahoo system, also mail delivery both ways is a lot slower - not sure why but it is. I only use email to read messages but looking at the numbers and threads I don't think I'm missing many - or any - messages.

Sometimes with Yahoo Groups messages are slow and can go astray but with a little local config work this new system should be almost as good. The benefits of the new system are for those that use the web based interface to read messages, of which there seem to be a lot in this group - maybe some Amphi people are more inclined to be web fingered !

David C

12. steven Schussler

steven Schussler Creator of Disney's The Amphicar Experience

Would love to speak with you personally. 612-751-3600. It will be a great talk!