If you had to sell your Amphi

B

Bihari, James

<table>A couple weeks back I was showing the 2003 Amphicar Meet splash-in tape to my physics students
on the first day of class to amuse them and later one of the students commented that she thought that
an Amphicar looked so cute, like an old Chevy. I just smiled because people have said that every old
car I've ever had has looked like a Chevy, presumably because that's the first brand that comes to mind?
One guy told me that an Amphicar looked like a Henry J, which I though was about as close as anything
but nothing really looks like an Amphicar.
The $22 K I have in my Amphi all came from professional student loans and is somewhat more money
than all the money I have spent to buy the 15 other cars I've owned in my life. (Ten year ago, you could
buy decent daily driver 4-door sedans from the 50s and 60s for $500-$1200, now it's 4 times that.) So
in a couple years when I finish optometry school with over $100K in loan debt I'm going to have to sell
the Amphi and I know it will be depressing, but I often think about what I could buy to sort of "replace"
it. Sure I could rig up my 60 Buick to float like that Cuban guy did with the 59 Buick a couple years back
But I think that's beyond my skill level.
This morning I was looking at an old August 2001 Special Interest Auto magazine (#184) and on page 63
there was an article about a 1967 Citroen ID station wagon. I recall seeingCitroen sedans at the Ypsilanti
Orphan Car show in 2002 and 2003 (anyone near Michigan should go to that show--first Sunday in
June every year--it's far betterthan any other old car show you can find, with experts giving a history lesson on every car as it drives by the stands, plus there are always a few Amphis in attendance.)and I thought
the cars looked cool, but perhaps now after seeing an Amphi so much, the odd looks of a Citroen appeal
to me even more, plus I love station wagons.
There is a far uglier 1971 Citroen wagon in Kentucky on ebay right now (the quad headlights of the 71
don't look anywhere near as nice as the dual headlights of 67, which look something more like a 58
Packard Hawk or old MG or something--I guess there was a 67 wagon in the Buffy the Vampire
Slayer movie?). No one is bidding on it at $500 and if I had someplace to store it, I'd be crazy
enough to bid on it (wouldn't the Schlemmers have an empty old shed out back that could fit a
Citroen?) Two months after I bought my Amphi on ebay, I almost bid on a 59 Dodge but I had
a friend stay on the phone with me while the auction ended to talk me ought of it. A year later
I bought a different 59 Dodge on ebay that was in worse shape. So maybe I'll have to have
someone talk me out of this Citroen, only to buy a different one in a couple of years when I
sell my Amphi.
This is a long message to ask, if you had to sell your Amphi due to lack of money, what cheaper
(or more expensive) car would you buy to fight the "sold my Amphi blues?"
Jim Bihari

B

Bihari, James

<table>A couple weeks back I was showing the 2003 Amphicar Meet splash-in tape to my physics students
on the first day of class to amuse them and later one of the students commented that she thought that
an Amphicar looked so cute, like an old Chevy. I just smiled because people have said that every old
car I've ever had has looked like a Chevy, presumably because that's the first brand that comes to mind?
One guy told me that an Amphicar looked like a Henry J, which I though was about as close as anything
The $22 K I have in my Amphi all came from professional student loans and is somewhat more money
than all the money I have spent to buy the 15 other cars I've owned in my life. (Ten year ago, you could
buy decent daily driver 4-door sedans from the 50s and 60s for $500-$1200, now it's 4 times that.) So
in a couple years when I finish optometry school with over $100K in loan debt I'm going to have to sell
the Amphi and I know it will be depressing, but I often think about what I could buy to sort of "replace"
it. Sure I could rig up my 60 Buick to float like that Cuban guy did with the 59 Buick a couple years back
This morning I was looking at an old August 2001 Special Interest Auto magazine (#184) and on page 63
there was an article about a 1967 Citroen ID station wagon. I recall seeingCitroen sedans at the Ypsilanti
Orphan Car show in 2002 and 2003 (anyone near Michigan should go to that show--first Sunday in
June every year--it's far betterthan any other old car show you can find, with experts giving a history lesson on every car as it drives by the stands, plus there are always a few Amphis in attendance.)and I thought
the cars looked cool, but perhaps now after seeing an Amphi so much, the odd looks of a Citroen appeal
There is a far uglier 1971 Citroen wagon in Kentucky on ebay right now (the quad headlights of the 71
don't look anywhere near as nice as the dual headlights of 67, which look something more like a 58
Packard Hawk or old MG or something--I guess there was a 67 wagon in the Buffy the Vampire
Slayer movie?). No one is bidding on it at $500 and if I had someplace to store it, I'd be crazy
enough to bid on it (wouldn't the Schlemmers have an empty old shed out back that could fit a
Citroen?) Two months after I bought my Amphi on ebay, I almost bid on a 59 Dodge but I had
a friend stay on the phone with me while the auction ended to talk me ought of it. A year later
I bought a different 59 Dodge on ebay that was in worse shape. So maybe I'll have to have
someone talk me out of this Citroen, only to buy a different one in a couple of years when I
sell my Amphi.
This is a long message to ask, if you had to sell your Amphi due to lack of money, what cheaper
Jim Bihari

L

lah20car@aol.com

<font FACE="arial,helvetica"><font SIZE="2" PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 10/1/2006 3:28:15 PM Central Daylight Time, jbihari@optometry.osu.edu writes:

<blockquote TYPE="CITE" style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"></font><font COLOR="#ff0000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE="2" PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">if you had to sell your Amphi due to lack of money, </blockquote></font><font COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE="2" PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">

Don't do it, you will be kicking yourself in the ass for a long time as you watch your Amphi go up in price and that weird car you pick up for cheap, then pour a fortune into, never catch up--plus all the fun you will miss is beyond a dollar amount.

There are other ways to pay off loans, use some of that educaation you got to make it work.

</font>

L

lah20car@aol.com

<font FACE="arial,helvetica"><font SIZE="2" PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 10/1/2006 3:28:15 PM Central Daylight Time, jbihari@optometry.osu.edu writes:

<blockquote TYPE="CITE" style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"></font><font COLOR="#ff0000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE="2" PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">if you had to sell your Amphi due to lack of money, </blockquote></font><font COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE="2" PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">

Don't do it, you will be kicking yourself in the ass for a long time as you watch your Amphi go up in price and that weird car you pick up for cheap, then pour a fortune into, never catch up--plus all the fun you will miss is beyond a dollar amount.

There are other ways to pay off loans, use some of that educaation you got to make it work.

</font>

W

WB6WSN

<table style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff">
<blockquote style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><font face="Tahoma" size="2">From: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Bihari, James
Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2006 10:47 AM
To: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com
Cc: bihari.1@osu.edu
Subject: [amphicar-lovers] If you had to sell your Amphi<span class="984010722-01102006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font></span></font>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><font face="Tahoma" size="2"><span class="984010722-01102006"></span></font><font face="Tahoma" size="2"><span class="984010722-01102006">
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left">A couple weeks back I was showing the 2003 Amphicar Meet splash-in tape to my physics students<span class="984010722-01102006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font></span>on the first day of class to amuse them and later one of the students commented that she thought that
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left">an Amphicar looked so cute, like an old Chevy.<span class="984010722-01102006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font></span>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left">One guy told me that an Amphicar looked like a Henry J, which I though was about as close as anything
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left">but nothing really looks like an Amphicar.
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left">Jim Bihari
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"></span></font>
<span class="984010722-01102006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font></span>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><span class="984010722-01102006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">I think that the Nash / Rambler / American Motors Metropolitan is a look-alike to the Amphicar. The Met's had a similar engine size (1200, then 1400 cc), were almost as heavy, and had the slab sides and short wheelbase of an Amphi. Here's a typical view of a 1960 Metropolitan coupe:</font></span>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><span class="984010722-01102006"><font color="#0000ff">
</font></span>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><span class="984010722-01102006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4"></font></span>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><span class="984010722-01102006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">Further proof of kinship; they even rust like an Amphi!</font></span>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><span class="984010722-01102006">
</span>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><span class="984010722-01102006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font></span>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><span class="984010722-01102006">
<div align="left"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">Ed Price</font>
<div align="left"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">El Cajon, CA USA</font>
<div align="left"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">67 Rust Guppy</font>
<div align="left"><font color="#0000ff" size="4"></font><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font></span></blockquote></img></img>
</td></tr>
Attachment: (application/octet-stream) met-026.gif [not stored]</td></tr>
Attachment: (application/octet-stream) met-025.gif [not stored]

W

WB6WSN

<table style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff">
<blockquote style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><font face="Tahoma" size="2">From: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Bihari, James
Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2006 10:47 AM
To: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com
Cc: bihari.1@osu.edu
Subject: [amphicar-lovers] If you had to sell your Amphi<span class="984010722-01102006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font></span></font>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><font face="Tahoma" size="2"><span class="984010722-01102006"></span></font><font face="Tahoma" size="2"><span class="984010722-01102006">
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left">A couple weeks back I was showing the 2003 Amphicar Meet splash-in tape to my physics students<span class="984010722-01102006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font></span>on the first day of class to amuse them and later one of the students commented that she thought that
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left">an Amphicar looked so cute, like an old Chevy.<span class="984010722-01102006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font></span>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left">One guy told me that an Amphicar looked like a Henry J, which I though was about as close as anything
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left">but nothing really looks like an Amphicar.
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left">Jim Bihari
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"></span></font>
<span class="984010722-01102006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font></span>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><span class="984010722-01102006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">I think that the Nash / Rambler / American Motors Metropolitan is a look-alike to the Amphicar. The Met's had a similar engine size (1200, then 1400 cc), were almost as heavy, and had the slab sides and short wheelbase of an Amphi. Here's a typical view of a 1960 Metropolitan coupe:</font></span>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><span class="984010722-01102006"><font color="#0000ff">
</font></span>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><span class="984010722-01102006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4"></font></span>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><span class="984010722-01102006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">Further proof of kinship; they even rust like an Amphi!</font></span>
</span>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><span class="984010722-01102006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font></span>
<div align="left"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">Ed Price</font>
<div align="left"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">El Cajon, CA USA</font>
<div align="left"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">67 Rust Guppy</font>
<div align="left"><font color="#0000ff" size="4"></font><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font></span></blockquote></img></img>
</td></tr>

C

capon23@aol.com

<table id="role_body" style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" bottomMargin="7" leftMargin="7" topMargin="7" rightMargin="7"><font id="role_document" face="Arial" color="#000000" size="2">

Hi,

I come from a world of Corvairs, I have owed over 30 of them in my life and half of them were near perfect and could have been concourse cars,Iwouldgo as far as California from Chicagoto find the best of the best, just to end up selling them for a 1k to 2k profit.. I loved the cars and theprofit didn't matter to me at the time.. But I sure wishI would have bought Amphicar's instead for the love and the great investment.. I remember going tothe junkyards to find am/fm radio's for the Corvairs and seeing Amphicars there whichI probably could have bought for a couple of hundred bucks..I could have bought those cars and just put them somewhere for 20 years and presto 20 GRAND for a rustbucket!!! Instead my Corvairs arestill 10k to 15k max for the best of the best... I guess my point is KEEP YOUR CAR NOTHING WILL REPLACE IT OR FIND ABASKET CASE AND BRING IT BACK TO LIFE BEFORE YOU SELL YOURS!!!

Good luck in your decision.. Cigarman </font>

C

capon23@aol.com

<table id="role_body" style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" bottomMargin="7" leftMargin="7" topMargin="7" rightMargin="7"><font id="role_document" face="Arial" color="#000000" size="2">

Hi,

I come from a world of Corvairs, I have owed over 30 of them in my life and half of them were near perfect and could have been concourse cars,Iwouldgo as far as California from Chicagoto find the best of the best, just to end up selling them for a 1k to 2k profit.. I loved the cars and theprofit didn't matter to me at the time.. But I sure wishI would have bought Amphicar's instead for the love and the great investment.. I remember going tothe junkyards to find am/fm radio's for the Corvairs and seeing Amphicars there whichI probably could have bought for a couple of hundred bucks..I could have bought those cars and just put them somewhere for 20 years and presto 20 GRAND for a rustbucket!!! Instead my Corvairs arestill 10k to 15k max for the best of the best... I guess my point is KEEP YOUR CAR NOTHING WILL REPLACE IT OR FIND ABASKET CASE AND BRING IT BACK TO LIFE BEFORE YOU SELL YOURS!!!

Good luck in your decision.. Cigarman </font>

B

Bill Connelly

<table style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" bgColor="#c8e0d8">
<font color="#000080">Those who have had their Amphicar less than a decade or so, or who never made it to those first few "Pre-Celina" Club Swim-Ins when they were held in various venues throughout the beautiful Adirondacks of upstate New York, may not knowthat several Metropolitan ownersalso regularly used to attendour Club gatherings. It just so happenedthat their own Metropolitan Owners Club's annual gatherings were alsoheld not far away at nearly the same time every year, so a half dozen or soMet folks usually made a point of swinging by our Amphi shindigs too. In fact, one of the regular Met owning attendees even had a license plate that read "PUDLJMPR"inspired by the frequent confusion of her Met with the Amphi, and this same owner also used to make and sell cute Amphicar jewelry. Sadly, nowadays only the very briefest mention of this peculiar cross-pollenization phenomenon between our two oddball orphan vehicle marques is to befound in the Club website's "Pre-1999" Swim-In pages (see </font><font color="#000080">the writeup for the 1996 gathering). Another Met-related item about which most Amphicar owners are unaware is that the verey same Austin engine used in the Nash Metropolitan was also fitted into the earliest Amphicar prototypes, and onlyproduction and delivery-related issues later forced the Amphicar folks touse the Triumph (Standard) engine instead. In short,those Met folksare very kindred souls indeed, and I for one rather miss them at Celina.</font>
<font color="#000080"></font>
<font color="#000080">It's hard to deny that the Nash Metropilitan owners haveearned every right to attend Amphicar gatherings.I mean, just imagine if YOU were being constantly asked by passersby if your car was also a boat...and it <u>wasn't</u>. </font><font color="#000080">So, the next time you meet a Met owner, go ahead and give 'em a hug and tell them you understand.</font>
<font color="#000080">~Bilgey~</font>
<font size="2"></font>
<blockquote style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<div style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----
<div style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black">From: Ed Price
<div style="FONT: 10pt arial">To: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com
<div style="FONT: 10pt arial">Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2006 6:18 PM
<div style="FONT: 10pt arial">Subject: RE: [amphicar-lovers] If you had to sell your Amphi

<div id="ygrp-text">

<blockquote><span class="984010722-01102006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font></span> <div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><span class="984010722-01102006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">I think that the Nash / Rambler / American Motors Metropolitan is a look-alike to the Amphicar. The Met's had a similar engine size (1200, then 1400 cc), were almost as heavy, and had the slab sides and short wheelbase of an Amphi. Here's a typical view of a 1960 Metropolitan coupe:</font></span>
</font></span>
</span>
<div align="left"><font color="#0000ff" size="4"></font><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font></span></blockquote>

</blockquote></img></img>
</td></tr>

B

Bill Connelly

<table style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" bgColor="#c8e0d8">
<font color="#000080">Those who have had their Amphicar less than a decade or so, or who never made it to those first few "Pre-Celina" Club Swim-Ins when they were held in various venues throughout the beautiful Adirondacks of upstate New York, may not knowthat several Metropolitan ownersalso regularly used to attendour Club gatherings. It just so happenedthat their own Metropolitan Owners Club's annual gatherings were alsoheld not far away at nearly the same time every year, so a half dozen or soMet folks usually made a point of swinging by our Amphi shindigs too. In fact, one of the regular Met owning attendees even had a license plate that read "PUDLJMPR"inspired by the frequent confusion of her Met with the Amphi, and this same owner also used to make and sell cute Amphicar jewelry. Sadly, nowadays only the very briefest mention of this peculiar cross-pollenization phenomenon between our two oddball orphan vehicle marques is to befound in the Club website's "Pre-1999" Swim-In pages (see </font><font color="#000080">the writeup for the 1996 gathering). Another Met-related item about which most Amphicar owners are unaware is that the verey same Austin engine used in the Nash Metropolitan was also fitted into the earliest Amphicar prototypes, and onlyproduction and delivery-related issues later forced the Amphicar folks touse the Triumph (Standard) engine instead. In short,those Met folksare very kindred souls indeed, and I for one rather miss them at Celina.</font>
<font color="#000080">It's hard to deny that the Nash Metropilitan owners haveearned every right to attend Amphicar gatherings.I mean, just imagine if YOU were being constantly asked by passersby if your car was also a boat...and it <u>wasn't</u>. </font><font color="#000080">So, the next time you meet a Met owner, go ahead and give 'em a hug and tell them you understand.</font>
<font color="#000080">~Bilgey~</font>
<font size="2"></font>
<blockquote style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<div style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----
<div style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black">From: Ed Price
<div style="FONT: 10pt arial">To: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com
<div style="FONT: 10pt arial">Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2006 6:18 PM
<div style="FONT: 10pt arial">Subject: RE: [amphicar-lovers] If you had to sell your Amphi

<div id="ygrp-text">

<blockquote><span class="984010722-01102006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font></span> <div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><span class="984010722-01102006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">I think that the Nash / Rambler / American Motors Metropolitan is a look-alike to the Amphicar. The Met's had a similar engine size (1200, then 1400 cc), were almost as heavy, and had the slab sides and short wheelbase of an Amphi. Here's a typical view of a 1960 Metropolitan coupe:</font></span>
</font></span>
</span>
<div align="left"><font color="#0000ff" size="4"></font><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font></span></blockquote>

</blockquote></img></img>
</td></tr>

D

David Chapman

<table style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" bgColor="#ffffff">
<font face="Arial" size="2">There is a fair bit of shared DNS between the Amphi and the Metropolitan. The Metropolitan was the British attempt to sellcandy coloured little cars to the Americans to bring dollars back to Europe to rebuild post war.Unlike Amphicar there was nothing new or revolutionary about the Metropolitan - to drive it feels about 20 yearsolder than Amphicar but they did sell a lot more. </font>
<font face="Arial" size="2"></font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">The Metropolitan people get very fed up with the "does it float" question, see here:</font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">http://www.stevvia.demon.co.uk/amphicar.htm</font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">David C</font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">ps. I discovered the other day that the founders of the Triumph company were both German - although that was in 1886 so a long time before Amphicar came looking for an engine. </font>

D

David Chapman

<table style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" bgColor="#ffffff">
<font face="Arial" size="2">There is a fair bit of shared DNS between the Amphi and the Metropolitan. The Metropolitan was the British attempt to sellcandy coloured little cars to the Americans to bring dollars back to Europe to rebuild post war.Unlike Amphicar there was nothing new or revolutionary about the Metropolitan - to drive it feels about 20 yearsolder than Amphicar but they did sell a lot more. </font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">The Metropolitan people get very fed up with the "does it float" question, see here:</font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">http://www.stevvia.demon.co.uk/amphicar.htm</font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">David C</font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">ps. I discovered the other day that the founders of the Triumph company were both German - although that was in 1886 so a long time before Amphicar came looking for an engine. </font>

G

glennyrosa@comcast.net

<table>
James:

A very sad story. But just think, you may be able to sell your Amphi later and be debt free.

I was looking at selling my Amphi last year after a life altering trip to Mexico sped up my retirement plans. I plan to move there in a few years and the warm salt water is not an environment conducive to Amphi longevity. I am presently in the liquidate and leave mode (L&L). Fortunately, I decided to hang onto the car until the minutes before heading South. The car takes up little room. Maintaining it isn't too costly or burdensome. Even with the paint bubbling up in the usual areas, it is still quite seaworthy. And who knows what it may be worth down the road?

I don't know what I'd trade the car for. Strange parallels with the Metro. Always liked that car. Wanted to get one for the wife. I was looking for a '69 convertible Ghia before fate found me my Amphi sitting in a neighbors back yard covered in blackberries. I had thought a Dutton would work well in Mexico, but I've sorta cooled off on that idea. I think my Amphi will be buying me a fully equipped fishing and diving boat in Mexico. Haven't decided what kind of car I'll have down there. Where I'm going I won't need a car too often. Walking is preferred. A scooter or golf cart would come in handy when my feet give out.

Good luck in school. Pacific University has a wonderful optometry school here. We have a dentist in town named Bihari. Relative?

glencho in Oregon.

ps: I crewed for a fellow in a glider contest in1973 who had a Citroen. He landed off field often and I got to really enjoy that car. I see them for sale off and on around here for cheap. There's probably a support group for them, but nothing as good as you'll find with the group you have now.

g

<blockquote style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">-------------- Original message --------------

<div id="ygrp-text">

A couple weeks back I was showing the 2003 Amphicar Meet splash-in tape to my physics students
sell my Amphi.
Jim Bihari

</blockquote>

G

glennyrosa@comcast.net

<table>
James:

A very sad story. But just think, you may be able to sell your Amphi later and be debt free.

I was looking at selling my Amphi last year after a life altering trip to Mexico sped up my retirement plans. I plan to move there in a few years and the warm salt water is not an environment conducive to Amphi longevity. I am presently in the liquidate and leave mode (L&L). Fortunately, I decided to hang onto the car until the minutes before heading South. The car takes up little room. Maintaining it isn't too costly or burdensome. Even with the paint bubbling up in the usual areas, it is still quite seaworthy. And who knows what it may be worth down the road?

I don't know what I'd trade the car for. Strange parallels with the Metro. Always liked that car. Wanted to get one for the wife. I was looking for a '69 convertible Ghia before fate found me my Amphi sitting in a neighbors back yard covered in blackberries. I had thought a Dutton would work well in Mexico, but I've sorta cooled off on that idea. I think my Amphi will be buying me a fully equipped fishing and diving boat in Mexico. Haven't decided what kind of car I'll have down there. Where I'm going I won't need a car too often. Walking is preferred. A scooter or golf cart would come in handy when my feet give out.

Good luck in school. Pacific University has a wonderful optometry school here. We have a dentist in town named Bihari. Relative?

glencho in Oregon.

ps: I crewed for a fellow in a glider contest in1973 who had a Citroen. He landed off field often and I got to really enjoy that car. I see them for sale off and on around here for cheap. There's probably a support group for them, but nothing as good as you'll find with the group you have now.

g

<blockquote style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">-------------- Original message --------------

<div id="ygrp-text">

A couple weeks back I was showing the 2003 Amphicar Meet splash-in tape to my physics students
sell my Amphi.
Jim Bihari

</blockquote>

A

a_colo_native

It would have to be a choice of eating my Amphi or starving to death
before I would consider selling them off. I am talking with one local
previous Amphi owner who sold his car a couple years ago and now is
desperatly looking for another and finding out that cars similar to
his were in the mid $20k range then are now in the high $30k+ range. I
have one in mind for him and I am sure he will never sell his Amphi
again.

The fun I have with mine is where it's true value is for me. Just this
last weekend I was out with a lady friend on a local resevoir.
Horsetooth is 6 miles long so it makes for a nice swim across and into
town for dinner. This time we get to the other end only to discover
the only ramp at that end is inaccessable even in an Amphi due to the
Colorado clay (VERY slippery) It's a resevoir so the level fluxuates
by 40' or more sometimes w/o warning. No place to get out except to go
all the way back. One problem, 6 miles of water to cross, and 4 miles
worth of fuel left! We used a steep but adequate private boat club
ramp and got to the gas station with very little to spare, but enough.

Later that night, we then go to another lake (>10PM) for a night swim
with a full belly and full tank. I turned off the car out on the water
and only had the marine lights on and radio. 15 minutes later I was
going to move to another part of the lake away from a couple of guys
fishing. Click... click... click. Humm? Dead battery already? couldn't
be!! I flagged the fishermen down and they towed us to the dock (1st
time I have ever the need to be towed in my Amphi in the 5 years since
I restored it). He stopped his boat at the dock and for some reason my
brakes woudn't work ;) I drifted into the rear of his boat. The impact
almost knocking him overboard as he tried to stop me. He misjudged the
weight of the Amphi VS his aluminum fishing boat. His face hit my hood
while he caught himself with one hand on my fender and he barely got
back into his boat w/o going in (No injury). His trolling motor was up
and the prop hit between my right headlight and the signal lens. It
was a pretty good hit. He then used his truck to pull us out and bump
start the car. He would not accept any money, thanked me for the great
fishing story (He caught a car while out fishing!) Once I got home I
discovered the battery cable clamp had broken so there was not an
adequate connection to start it. I replaced the cable and she was good
as new again. (except for the dented headlight ring and body damage. I
will see how Haggerty handles this today.

Yesterday we gave rides to a group of folks who had disabilities
ranging from Downs to Cerebal Palsey and several other situations. The
absolute belly laughs that these people had as we hit the water FAST
(at thier request of course!) were pure unadulterated joy for everyone
within earshot! They heard us laughing all the way across the lake.
It was a hoot!

WHAT other car can you have this much fun in just 2 days? None that I
can think of! Don't ever sell it!!!

John "Bumper-Boatin' in the Rockies" Bevins
Rocky Mountain Amphicar

A

a_colo_native

It would have to be a choice of eating my Amphi or starving to death
before I would consider selling them off. I am talking with one local
previous Amphi owner who sold his car a couple years ago and now is
desperatly looking for another and finding out that cars similar to
his were in the mid $20k range then are now in the high $30k+ range. I
have one in mind for him and I am sure he will never sell his Amphi
again.

The fun I have with mine is where it's true value is for me. Just this
last weekend I was out with a lady friend on a local resevoir.
Horsetooth is 6 miles long so it makes for a nice swim across and into
town for dinner. This time we get to the other end only to discover
the only ramp at that end is inaccessable even in an Amphi due to the
Colorado clay (VERY slippery) It's a resevoir so the level fluxuates
by 40' or more sometimes w/o warning. No place to get out except to go
all the way back. One problem, 6 miles of water to cross, and 4 miles
worth of fuel left! We used a steep but adequate private boat club
ramp and got to the gas station with very little to spare, but enough.

Later that night, we then go to another lake (>10PM) for a night swim
with a full belly and full tank. I turned off the car out on the water
and only had the marine lights on and radio. 15 minutes later I was
going to move to another part of the lake away from a couple of guys
fishing. Click... click... click. Humm? Dead battery already? couldn't
be!! I flagged the fishermen down and they towed us to the dock (1st
time I have ever the need to be towed in my Amphi in the 5 years since
I restored it). He stopped his boat at the dock and for some reason my
brakes woudn't work ;) I drifted into the rear of his boat. The impact
almost knocking him overboard as he tried to stop me. He misjudged the
weight of the Amphi VS his aluminum fishing boat. His face hit my hood
while he caught himself with one hand on my fender and he barely got
back into his boat w/o going in (No injury). His trolling motor was up
and the prop hit between my right headlight and the signal lens. It
was a pretty good hit. He then used his truck to pull us out and bump
start the car. He would not accept any money, thanked me for the great
fishing story (He caught a car while out fishing!) Once I got home I
discovered the battery cable clamp had broken so there was not an
adequate connection to start it. I replaced the cable and she was good
as new again. (except for the dented headlight ring and body damage. I
will see how Haggerty handles this today.

Yesterday we gave rides to a group of folks who had disabilities
ranging from Downs to Cerebal Palsey and several other situations. The
absolute belly laughs that these people had as we hit the water FAST
(at thier request of course!) were pure unadulterated joy for everyone
within earshot! They heard us laughing all the way across the lake.
It was a hoot!

WHAT other car can you have this much fun in just 2 days? None that I
can think of! Don't ever sell it!!!

John "Bumper-Boatin' in the Rockies" Bevins
Rocky Mountain Amphicar

M

Mike Israel

Re: Re: If you had to sell your Amphi

<table><div style="font-family:times new roman, new york, times, serif;font-size:12pt"><div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">A few years ago I considered selling my Amphi. Prices were rising, money was tight, and I knew some expensive rust repairs were looming. I am glad I held out.
<div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">
<div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">Obviously, if you need to sell her to make your mrtgage payment that is one thing. Otherwise, do not rush into anything. You may find that whatever you get out of her to buy that new sports car or dentist chair will be quickly spent. a few years later when you are missing your Amphi you may find that they have appreciated in value to where it will cost you three times as much.
<div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">
<div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">I do not even want to think about how many cars I have owned over the years. The excitement surrounding most of them usually lasts a few months at best and then they are being listed on eBay. The Amphi, on the other hand, is the one car that when I die my kids can either fight over or sell. The only way I am parting with Amphi is if I stumble onto a NOS one that has been sitting in a heated garage since 1965. Unfortunately for me, Mike Echeman is the only one who seems to find those Amphis!
<div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">Mike I.

M

Mike Israel

Re: Re: If you had to sell your Amphi

<table><div style="font-family:times new roman, new york, times, serif;font-size:12pt"><div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">A few years ago I considered selling my Amphi. Prices were rising, money was tight, and I knew some expensive rust repairs were looming. I am glad I held out.
<div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">Obviously, if you need to sell her to make your mrtgage payment that is one thing. Otherwise, do not rush into anything. You may find that whatever you get out of her to buy that new sports car or dentist chair will be quickly spent. a few years later when you are missing your Amphi you may find that they have appreciated in value to where it will cost you three times as much.
<div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">I do not even want to think about how many cars I have owned over the years. The excitement surrounding most of them usually lasts a few months at best and then they are being listed on eBay. The Amphi, on the other hand, is the one car that when I die my kids can either fight over or sell. The only way I am parting with Amphi is if I stumble onto a NOS one that has been sitting in a heated garage since 1965. Unfortunately for me, Mike Echeman is the only one who seems to find those Amphis!
<div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">Mike I.

A

Amphipoda

The day I "had to sell" my Amphi will
be the day after my demise and even
then I might find some excuse to hang
onto it. Even if I moved to a place
where I couldn't swim Amphi, I'd STILL
keep my Amphi for 2 main reasons ? 1st
being in the Amphi club is like family
and it wouldn't be the same feeling
[for me] without owning an Amphi. 2nd
is the Amphicar is a smile/laugh maker
no matter where you go. What is better
than spreading smiles and laughter? No,
I'll not sell my Amphicar and the financial
aspect doesn't even factor in. I've never
considered Amphi as an investment... to me,
it's more of a lifestyle.

Swam Saturday with a bunch of friends
from work. Gave a few strangers rides
too. Pair of good `ol guys, one was so
excited he asked me where the head (toilet)
was cuz he could hold it any longer. Also
a rather heavy set lady who's laugh was so
contagious I nearly burst my own bladder.
Can any other vehicle do that?

Amphipoda
'64 Turquoise
San Diego, CA

A

Amphipoda

The day I "had to sell" my Amphi will
be the day after my demise and even
then I might find some excuse to hang
onto it. Even if I moved to a place
where I couldn't swim Amphi, I'd STILL
keep my Amphi for 2 main reasons ? 1st
being in the Amphi club is like family
and it wouldn't be the same feeling
[for me] without owning an Amphi. 2nd
is the Amphicar is a smile/laugh maker
no matter where you go. What is better
than spreading smiles and laughter? No,
I'll not sell my Amphicar and the financial
aspect doesn't even factor in. I've never
considered Amphi as an investment... to me,
it's more of a lifestyle.

Swam Saturday with a bunch of friends
from work. Gave a few strangers rides
too. Pair of good `ol guys, one was so
excited he asked me where the head (toilet)
was cuz he could hold it any longer. Also
a rather heavy set lady who's laugh was so
contagious I nearly burst my own bladder.
Can any other vehicle do that?

Amphipoda
'64 Turquoise
San Diego, CA

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
6 Ready to sell a 1967 All Original Red any advise? General Amphicar Discussion 2
F Amphicar to sell General Amphicar Discussion 0
RalphF Georgia Amphi Restoration Restorations in progress 5
RalphF Amphi Shirt General Amphicar Discussion 4
mike_israel Amphi article in Classic Motorsports Magazine General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel The Time Has Come ... Selling the Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 7
SNOWBIRD 1965 Amphi project General Amphicar Discussion 1
Jon March Insurance when towing Amphi vs when on road? General Amphicar Discussion 5
Jon March Suddenly "revving up" when in water -Does your Amphi do this? General Amphicar Discussion 13
Jon March Anyone know who ended up buying this Amphi? General Amphicar Discussion 1
Jon March Amphi rear driveshaft & axle detail - Youtube video General Amphicar Discussion 3
SNOWBIRD 64 Amphi??? General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel OT: Something like this could be useful for Amphi and parts purchases General Amphicar Discussion 0
SNOWBIRD Amphi bottoms General Amphicar Discussion 1
Jon March we could all use help with this Amphi issue: General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Amphi on Bring a Trailer General Amphicar Discussion 2
mike_israel What did you do to your Amphi today? General Amphicar Discussion 16
Bilgemaster Original Amphi Key No. 5415? General Amphicar Discussion 13
Mark Richardson RHD Museum Amphi sells at BJ auction this weekend..... General Amphicar Discussion 2
Mark Richardson 2017 Barrett-Jackson auction includes single Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 7
Cameron in UK Anyone know the source of this New York Amphi photo ? General Amphicar Discussion 6
dutchamphi Amphi-scooter General Amphicar Discussion 1
SNOWBIRD A blip on Fred's Amphi. General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Future Amphi Owner Earns Eagle Scout General Amphicar Discussion 3
mike_israel Toolbox Deal at Home Depot (No Amphi Content) General Amphicar Discussion 0
Mark Richardson Amphi sold at Barrett Jackson tonight General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Securing Amphi and Trailer General Amphicar Discussion 7
mike_israel No Amphi content. Search engine duckduckgo.com General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Non-Amphi garage project - shelves General Amphicar Discussion 4
amphi-Ben Amphi Swim In the Netherlands General Amphicar Discussion 3
mike_israel It's the Amphi-Jeep for Less than $2k General Amphicar Discussion 1
azpaul50 Amphi with Spare Harley behind! General Amphicar Discussion 0
SNOWBIRD Another Amphi swims General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Barn Find 1965 Amphi Restorations in progress 3
Midwest Amphicar Why you should visit Florida with your Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 1
Midwest Amphicar Amphi fins and snow drifts General Amphicar Discussion 4
Mark Richardson Barrett-Jackson Auction Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 2
T 62 amphi brake problems General Amphicar Discussion 8
Midwest Amphicar Another sweet Ebay Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 0
Midwest Amphicar Sweet Ebay Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 2
azpaul50 Amphi at Auction General Amphicar Discussion 0
azpaul50 Home-made Amphi in Calexico, CA General Amphicar Discussion 2
Midwest Amphicar Did you put a gift under the tree for your Amphi? General Amphicar Discussion 4
Midwest Amphicar warm weather memory or how to dry amphi General Amphicar Discussion 3
Midwest Amphicar Driving Amphi to Florida from Illinois ?! General Amphicar Discussion 0
F amphi in a video General Amphicar Discussion 6
Midwest Amphicar Christmas Present,Green Amphi for sale General Amphicar Discussion 3
laserfixr Amphi on HDTheater General Amphicar Discussion 2
T Amphi in Restaurant Ad General Amphicar Discussion 3
Ed Price FW: Amphi Model on YouTube General Amphicar Discussion 0