an electical savy amphibian I ask
if anyone thinks this is a worthy
product for an Amphicar?

Amphipoda
'64 Turquoise
San Diego, CA

B

bruce duncan

Dear Amphipoda in California Hello my name Is Bruce I'm from Massachusetts and I am ASE certified in Electrical/Electronic systems. In response to the battery brain I didn't see any charge capability. An automatic charge and shutoff would keep the plates in the battery from sulfating and ruining the battery. The sulfur is the white stuff that covers an old battery on the inside when it dies. When electrons flow through the plates the chemical reaction in the battery fluid will help your battery during storage. The battery brain at first glance is good if you have a parasitic drain on your battery or short term storage. This is one's man opinion. Bruce

Amphipoda <Amphipoda@yahoo.com> wrote: <blockquote class="replbq" style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px;
MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"> <div id="ygrp-text"> Okay, I need to redeem myself from
my last posting... so here goes:

http://www.batteryb<wbr>rain.com/

Appears to be a useful product for
us web toed hords, but not being
an electical savy amphibian I ask
product for an Amphicar?

Amphipoda
'64 Turquoise
San Diego, CA

</blockquote>

<hr size="1">Do you Yahoo!?
Next-gen email? Have it all with the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

A

Amphipoda

Thanks Bruce, appreciate the electrical
wisdom. Sounds like a good thing, but
more for my seldom used Jag than my
Amphi.

--- In amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com, bruce duncan
<bruce01748com@...> wrote:
>
> Dear Amphipoda in California Hello my name Is Bruce I'm from
Massachusetts and I am ASE certified in Electrical/Electronic
systems. In response to the battery brain I didn't see any charge
capability.
> An automatic charge and shutoff would keep the plates in
the battery from sulfating and ruining the battery. The sulfur is
the white stuff that covers an old battery on the inside when it dies.
> When electrons flow through the plates the chemical
reaction in the battery fluid will help your battery during storage.
> The battery brain at first glance is good if you have a
parasitic drain on your battery or short term storage. This is one's
man opinion.
>
> Bruce
>
> Amphipoda <Amphipoda@...> wrote:
> Okay, I need to redeem myself from
> my last posting... so here goes:
>
> http://www.batterybrain.com/
>
> Appears to be a useful product for
> us web toed hords, but not being
> an electical savy amphibian I ask
> if anyone thinks this is a worthy
> product for an Amphicar?
>
> Amphipoda
> '64 Turquoise
> San Diego, CA
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------
> Do you Yahoo!?
> Next-gen email? Have it all with the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
>

W

WB6WSN

<table style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff">
<blockquote style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><font face="Tahoma" size="2">From: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Amphipoda
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 4:20 PM
To: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [amphicar-lovers] If I only had a brain...
</font><span class="921325920-21072006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font></span>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><span class="921325920-21072006">Okay, I need to redeem myself from
my last posting... so here goes:

http://www.batteryb<wbr>rain.com/

Appears to be a useful product for
us web toed hordes, but not being
an electrical savvy amphibian I ask
product for an Amphicar?

Amphipoda
'64 Turquoise
San Diego, CA
</span>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><span class="921325920-21072006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">I see only a niche market for this product.</font></span>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><span class="921325920-21072006"><font color="#0000ff"></font></span>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><span class="921325920-21072006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">Large yachts and motor homes (where the captain / operator can't always keep track of who leaves, or over-uses, a power load), already address this problem by using either separate starting systems or a diode-isolated starting battery.</font></span><span class="921325920-21072006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" size="4"></font></span></blockquote>
<blockquote style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<span class="921325920-21072006"><font color="#0000ff"></font></span>
<span class="921325920-21072006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">Very small vessels, like an Amphi, don't have large electrical loads that can be left on. The worst load would be the headlights, drawing about 6 amps. If you had a 100 Amp-hour battery in good condition (beware of fanciful battery ratings, and who's battery is in "perfect" condition), you could leave the lights on for 9 hours and still have 50% battery capacity left. Plus, a Triumph 1147 is not a hard-cranking engine.</font></span>
<span class="921325920-21072006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4"></font></span>
<span class="921325920-21072006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">Just maybe, people with 40' foot vessels might need this gadget. Or maybe people where idiots can play with their controls when they don't know it (like maybe an electric lift-gate with external controls might get cycled a dozen times while the operator is making a delivery.</font></span>
<span class="921325920-21072006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4"></font></span>
<span class="921325920-21072006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">The site is very bare of technical content, which always makes me suspicious. And beyond that, I would worry about the reliability of the gadget. It's supposed to preserve a minimum cranking power, but what failure modes are likely? How much effort has gone into assuring that the gadget won't accidentally do just the opposite, or short out the battery and cause a fire, or just plain disconnect your whole electrical system because it thinks your battery is low?</font></span>
<span class="921325920-21072006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">Benefits to reliability / safety should be the primary concern for a motor vehicle or water craft. If you are really worried about this low-battery condition, I think you should use one of the proven solutions; bigger battery or adiode-isolated starting battery. Another technology that has promise is the "emergency battery in a box" concept. This battery is small and sealed. If you have a dead main battery, you plug the emergency battery into your cigarette lighter and wait about 20 minutes while the emergency battery pumps a modest 5 to 10 amps chargeinto your Amphi battery. (The Amphi, automotive style battery is designed to take a charge at many rates, but is especially good at dumping that charge at a couple of hundred amps for a few seconds.) (If you want to follow the numbers, say the emergency battery averages5 amps charge over 20 minutes. This is 100 amp-minutes, or 6000 amp-seconds. Turning your key to start might draw 250 amps from the Amphi battery, so you get about 20 seconds of cranking time!)</font></span>
<span class="921325920-21072006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">At least this kind of emergency system doesn't have to work perfectly all the time that you want to use your vehicle. You have added no more complexity to your normal Amphi electrical system.</font></span>
<span class="921325920-21072006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font></span>
<span class="921325920-21072006">
<div align="left"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">Ed Price</font>
<div align="left"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">El Cajon, CA USA</font>
<div align="left"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">67 Rust Guppy</font>
<div align="left"><font color="#0000ff" size="4"></font><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font></span>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left">
</blockquote>