How dry I am: quarter panel edition

Jon March

Sure, i did some 15/20 mph splash-ins during my debut Amphicar trials last month. The citizens insist on good times.

But now im home, and remembered - dry them quarters!
Some folks may remember I sanded, scraped, phosphoric acid etched, rinsed and then treated my rear quarter panels with Mastercoat oxygen-blocking, aluminum-silver MCU metal coating.

....As a last step, I filled the bottom weld-seal area of my quarter panels with 3M 5200, diluted with Acetone to make it pourable, and allowed it to flow&evel along the bottom of the v-cavity, to create a watertight, flat area down there. I think it will be a pretty tight seal and good surface treatment for that famously dark and mysterious place.

But how to really get the water that splashes down there, out? Paper towels are nicely absorbent, but they tear and its just a PITA stuffing them down with a flat ruler and trying to pick them out all tattered.
And them petcocks dont drain completely.

So i use my iphone in lights-on/ video pause mode, and a length of Tygon tubing on my mini shopvac, with the tip sanded into a taper , and just run that sucker up and down the valley!

Next experiment - run a piece of some kind of weighted?, closed cell foam "lodged" perforated hosing to stay down in those deep crevasses, with the other ends coiled up by the taillites, ready to attach to any shopvac. Sayyy...why not a tee fitting on the bilgepump, you say?
A: i dont think it would have the needed velocity to suck the area truly dry

J Swing

Last edited:

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Its been brought up may times in the past! INSTALL A DRAIN PLUG<!!You can see how I installed it on inner quarter,
With care this can be done to a Finished car.
Store with plugs out for winter.

GR. prime and paint quaters 001.jpg

Jon March

Thanks Gord - super picture! Ive never seen this photo, explaining the location of the petcock - very helpful! I actually dont recall coming across petcock photos in my browsing either. They are probably something you offer im sure!

My roadblock is that i dont own a welder and have never welded, and dont want to "practice" on my one and only investment!@ There IS a mobile guy in my area who charges 175 to show up and 120 and hour after that - Not a total financial dealbreaker, but all those facts put together are enough to push me try to figure out "alternative" solutions! As usual, necessity is the mother of invention
(not to be confused with the Mothers of Invention, a musical necessity!)

Last edited:

jfriese

Jon,

I've thought of sticking a couple of small hoses into those quarters and attaching them somehow to the intake manifold and letting the engine vacuum suck the water out and go through the engine. Engines can tolerate a small amount of water mixed in with the gas without harming the performance and hopefully a small amount is all it would ever see if you sized the tubing or orifices small enough. You also can't bleed off too much engine vacuum without causing a problem but I bet it could handle this if sized correctly. I never did this but I bet it would work.

I use paper towels to dry those quarters. I quarter fold a standard sized Bounty paper towel which makes it stiff enough to drag through those areas and pull out any water that might have splashed into there.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Jon March

funny you post this - i was just online, looking as why kind to tubing i might be able to use, with some sort of line of holes in a row along the bottom - i guess i would have to buy tubing with a small enough OD, and drill or melt holes in the bottom with some sort of wedges that would hold the tubing down all along the bottom of that cavity. Boy what a cool thought, if non-stock, to plumb those lines to the intake! And I agree: ive seen many posts about people mixing water into the intake to "stretch" the mpgs. Wow, what a cool way to automate keeping those areas drained.

Speaking of that: how about a rubber splash-flap over that area on a strip of velcro, to help keep the water out in the first place.
And the final thought is forcing hot compartment air down in there - exhaust aint good- too much condensation and corrosives - but a squirrel cage muffin fan aiming hot ambient air down each....!

I can just see Gord Souter shaking his head!#@ lol! - cant blame him at times like this!
You and I are rare birds, JFriese.

Screen shot 2018-08-25 at 9.46.02 PM.png

Last edited:

jfriese

Jon

Can't use multiple holes. As soon as one hole opens to the air, that's the end of the vacuum. You need one hole, or end of the hose, at the lowest spot, which is just behind the rear wheel well.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

jfriese

Jon,

If you were to decide on going with petcocks I wouldn't consider welding them in at this stage of your car. Your paint would be wrecked by the heat. Chances are you could grind away a small area of paint and glue the female part to the panel with any good epoxy like JB Weld then repaint that small area. I have not chosen to go that way because my cars run very dry and I doubt petcocks would ever get those areas as dry as I want them. It's paper towels for me and a long drive home to dry out any moisture that might be left. Sixteen years and no rust so far.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Last edited:

Jon March

>> just to clarify, i wasnt meaning multiple petcock-holes in the 1/4 panel -- just 1"-spaced pinholes drilled in a piece of clear PVC tubing that stays down inside the crevasse - that, when connected to a small shop-vac, will suck water up from all the small holes (which im sure it would - if the holes are , say, 1/16" )

strandweiss62

I have the drainage holes in the quarters, never used them. I covered the whole inside with anti corrosion grease, so water can not cause any corrosion.

jfriese

Actually, Peters idea, as messy as I would imagine it would get, might work but I wouldn't trust it myself.

When I bought my White car the previous owner, an auto dealer, had coated the entire battery tray area with tar. It was a mess but it worked for many years. There was no rust present after I removed the tar.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Just spent the last week removing some ones tarry mess, reviled lots of rust pin holes in engine pod.
They did inside and outside then some one tried to paint POR 15 on outside,, yuck!

Bobs engine 014.JPG

bob painting bottom 019.JPG

bob painting bottom 018.JPG

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Quarter Panel piece needed. General Amphicar Discussion 2
Akamphi Rear quarter panel photos General Amphicar Discussion 5
M NOS Full Quarter Panel For Sale - Passenger side. General Amphicar Discussion 0
M NOS Rear Quarter Panel - Passenger Side General Amphicar Discussion 0
C One more quarter panel question General Amphicar Discussion 3
C Quarter panel rust General Amphicar Discussion 2
M Only one NOS Factory Quarter Panel Left General Amphicar Discussion 0
SNOWBIRD Rear quarter repairs. General Amphicar Discussion 7
Jon March call me crazy - heres how I fixed my quarter panels General Amphicar Discussion 18
Midwest Amphicar Why I will not glue on quarter panels General Amphicar Discussion 10
T Quarter Panels General Amphicar Discussion 8
Midwest Amphicar Flat quarter repair General Amphicar Discussion 1
P Quarter Panels General Amphicar Discussion 7
C What material are restorers using between quarter panels and 7" long horizontal bars General Amphicar Discussion 4
D Installing Dave the Waves beautiful quarter panels and fabulous steel trays General Amphicar Discussion 1
C Alaskan Amphi quarter panels for sale General Amphicar Discussion 2
C quarter panels General Amphicar Discussion 1
M Rear Quarter Repair ??? General Amphicar Discussion 0
M For Sale: NOS Full Rear Quarter Panels (Raised Lip) General Amphicar Discussion 0
R door panel springs General Amphicar Discussion 3
sdreich Control Panel General Amphicar Discussion 1
sdreich Bilge Blower Timing Panel General Amphicar Discussion 4
E radio delete panel General Amphicar Discussion 4
C Rear horizontal bumper panel repair & Skid plate questions General Amphicar Discussion 1
D panel comments General Amphicar Discussion 0
R door panel General Amphicar Discussion 0
R side panel General Amphicar Discussion 0
S new door panel boards General Amphicar Discussion 1
T DOOR PANEL WANTED General Amphicar Discussion 0
S Looking for the small bottom panel General Amphicar Discussion 0
C Body panel repair General Amphicar Discussion 8
Jon March Sun June 7 - "worlds fair edition" Amphicar?! General Amphicar Discussion 2
T Ebay Amphicar Claiming Anniversary Edition?? General Amphicar Discussion 3