hood

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
Re: WTB - Fiberglass Amphicar hood

Gregg - Contact Gord Souter who is one of the people who makes them. Also try Dave Derer (Dave The Wave) as he may be able to point you to another choice.

Place a want ad in the club newsletter "Wheels and Waves" or place one here, but don't just say "hood" in the title, put real info there so we know what the message is about, say "WTB - (wanted to buy) a fiberglass hood"

Canadian four amphs

Amphicar Expert
I have 1 new fibreglass Front hood here in Fl. and 1 in NH.
These are the best there is., All bolt holes are drilled and treaded into Alum.
And alum is behind all stress points, the 3 hold down holes are ajustable.
these hoods are $600.00. ready for board sanding and painting.
I also have a dipped steel front hood back home with rust holes in lower half of Front etc. $500.00
In Fl. I have the Last fully assembled rear glass hood painted in Amphicar white for $600.00 I now only sell them is diss. kit form.

Gregg

Gord are you going to have any thing going on about the first week of march because bike week is feb 26 to march 7th.We know about your swim in at the end of march............
----- Original Message -----
To: snorkel1@verizon.net
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:51 PM
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20626] Re: hood

I have 1 new fibreglass Front hood here in Fl. and 1 in NH.
These are the best there is., All bolt holes are drilled and treaded into Alum.
And alum is behind all stress points, the 3 hold down holes are ajustable.
these hoods are $600.00. ready for board sanding and painting.
I also have a dipped steel front hood back home with rust holes in lower half of Front etc. $500.00
In Fl. I have the Last fully assembled rear glass hood painted in Amphicar white for $600.00 I now only sell them is diss. kit form.

Canadian four amphs

Amphicar Expert
I plan to be back in Fl. begining of Feb.. Had to come back home and work on a few Amphicars...So I can aford to go to Fl.
Yes.. I am planning a REAL swim for the beginging of March..Maybe a 4 mile cruise down the Silver River in Ocalla...Cherck that place out on the weB!
Cristal clear 70* spring water..4mph current, Gators ,Monkeys, Fish,Turtles Birds, Pontoon boats.Glass bottom tour boats, and Amphicars... makes heads turn

Gregg

Gord you can me in in the beginning of March....I can shoot over after bike week...Gregg
----- Original Message -----
To: snorkel1@verizon.net
Sent: Sunday, December 20, 2009 7:37 PM
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20626] Re: hood

I plan to be back in Fl. begining of Feb.. Had to come back home and work on a few Amphicars...So I can aford to go to Fl.
Yes.. I am planning a REAL swim for the beginging of March..Maybe a 4 mile cruise down the Silver River in Ocalla...Cherck that place out on the weB!
Cristal clear 70* spring water..4mph current, Gators ,Monkeys, Fish,Turtles Birds, Pontoon boats.Glass bottom tour boats, and Amphicars... makes heads turn

CapnJohn

Gord - How "disassembled" are your engine covers?
I have a local guy with a RHD car that needs a replacement as his is truly pathetic! The body work was nice and showed they have talents, but chose not to correct an obvious problem. The paint is bubbled all over the car from some sort of contaminants under the paint. (why would you not fix that before re-assembling the car???) The engine cover was not repaired, just painted, the frame is so rusted that it is broken and pulls away from the sheet metal because the hinges are so rusty and sticky. He prefers a steel, but you know how that is! This may be his only option for now.

Canadian four amphs

Amphicar Expert
Fibreglass rear hoods.
I use to make them complete but was so labour intensive , for me to make a profit I would have to charge $2000.00. So I started making a kit form.
but sales went down to (0)..There is a kit over in NH.that has been there since 2006.
Basically it has the inner framework,the Alum,, plates where it mounts,stiffeners, Insulation for middle area to reflect heat, and the outer skin,The lovers are not cut in, this is what takes the time, cutting each one and fileing perfect.
the 2 halves have to be fitted and glassed together on a car to get the exact shape, when glassed and stiffened in this way when removed they are now rigid.,.
The best of both worlds is when the inner steel frame is still useable, glass a glass outer skin to it, ,, then you hane a hood that will never bubble again.
I have done this a few times, and even done it to front hoods too.
GORD.

CapnJohn

Thanks Gord for the info. Looks like it will be less $ to repair what we have than to go glass. The labor to cut/finish the louvers would be the part that makes it too expensive. I tried! :)