Hello! (NOT an April fool's joke)

Jay_D

My name is Jay Dolezal from Green Bay. After entirely too many years, I am finally getting ready to resurrect my '66 amphi. My grampa bought it sometime between 69-72 from a Chicago couple who spent summers on Madeline Island. It saw plenty of use when I was growing up, but plates were last renewed in '83. Honestly don't know the last time it ran. It was willed to me in '01, I flatbedded it out of the barn and have had it in the garage since. Now that daycare bills are finally manageable ;), I'm hoping to get it roadworthy, seaworthy, then finally pretty it up a bit. Looking forward to picking everyone's brain and hopefully contributing back where I can. Will post some pictures shortly when the garage gets some room for the summer. Happy swimming everyone!

Last edited:

LSolheim

My name is Jay Dolezal from Green Bay. After entirely too many years, I am finally getting ready to resurrect my '66 amphi. My grampa bought it sometime between 69-72 from a Chicago couple who spent summers on Madeline Island. It saw plenty of use when I was growing up, but plates were last renewed in '83. Honestly don't know the last time it ran. It was willed to me in '01, I flatbedded it out of the barn and have had it in the garage since. Now that daycare bills are finally manageable ;), I'm hoping to get it roadworthy, seaworthy, then finally pretty it up a bit. Looking forward to picking everyone's brain and hopefully contributing back where I can. Will post some pictures shortly when the garage gets some room for the summer. Happy swimming everyone!

Welcome and congratulations! You will find a lot of accumulated knowledge in the archives here, many members willing to offer advice, and more restoration information at www.amphicar.com. I think you will find it a worthy and fun experience, both to bring her back and to enjoy the "Amphicar experience".
--Larry

marty1835

Hello Jay!! get that old girl going again. I am in the process of resurrecting a 67 Amphi from a long long slumber. You need help just ask--- things we have done this past year--
rebuilt all wheel cylanders (Javelin and MGB rebuild kits--very interesting)
flushed sealed gas tank.
fuel shut off ( puch moped)
new master ( 65 VW bus)
new NOS rear drive shafts ( what a bitch if you need wheel bearings. but do-able)
front wheel bearings
water pump ( triumph)
GM alt so we could go negative ground and get rid of the Lukas "Get home before dark." electronics.
new starter ( triumph)
all wiring chased,identified and fixed
led tail lights

we are very close to drive time and there is not much we havent gone through. Sadly the bottom is beyond swimmable so this will be a land based 770.

good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marty
The Egypt Garage
Egypt NY