Georgia Amphi Restoration

RalphF

I have Ken Richter's old '65 Amphi. You may have known "Kamikaze Ken". He is doing well and just getting rid of some of his treasures.
I picked it up at the end of May 2020. I figured I would start a thread of some of the things I have been doing to it to prolong its life and give it my personality.
I have been after an Amphicar after seeing one in the late 60's down the street from my home in Marietta Georgia.

I will be adding various posts to this thread as I go...

RalphF

After getting caught in a horrible rainstorm a couple of weeks ago, I adjusted my priorities to put getting the convertible top back on ASAP. I have two brand new tops, one tan and one black. I have elected to put the black one on. But first I have to get that top frame in ship shape.

It needed to be sandblasted and painted and of course the right front corner had separated from the piece that goes over the windshield. In trying to find someone to sandblast it and powder coat it, I stumbled across a character who goes by "Crazy Dave". He has a welding shop and makes cool looking lamps, gates and other stuff. He no longer sandblasts but he invited me over to use his gear free of charge and I took him up on it. He taught me to use it and I spent the afternoon cleaning up the frame. After getting it down to the bare metal, he even MIG welded the broken part for me. Wow, the frame operates so easily now that it is rust free.

So today I noticed a little rust forming already and I didn't have time to get it to the paint shop, and besides, I needed to get all that black sealer off the "brow". I spent a couple hours with the wire brush and got all that clean and got the new rust off as well. Tomorrow morning she goes to get powdered black. The shop says they will charge me $50.00.

Here are some photos of what I have done so far.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • In progress.jpg
    In progress.jpg
    772.3 KB · Views: 17
  • top frame ready for powdercoat.jpg
    top frame ready for powdercoat.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17
  • after powder coating.jpg
    after powder coating.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Ralph,

Many of us have been where you are now with your top. Looks like you are making good progress!
Keep us posted and keep the pictures coming!

Mark

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
You didn't weld the triangles on like I told you..bottom right in pic.. Now is the time to do it so it won't break again!conv top 003.JPG

RalphF

You didn't weld the triangles on like I told you..bottom right in pic.. Now is the time to do it so it won't break again!View attachment 2703
Gord, to be honest I couldn't figure out what you were talking about. I can't remember if you had a photo before, but I even mentioned it to the welder guy and we kept thinking you meant some sort of triangle on the side or in/on the square or U channels. Didn't realize you meant right across the top. I can see it in these pics though. I don't want to heat it all up again, so maybe I will try riveting them on. Should work if it isn't absolutely essential that they be flush. Thanks for trying to teach me though.

RalphF

Ralph,

Many of us have been where you are now with your top. Looks like you are making good progress!
Keep us posted and keep the pictures coming!

Mark
Thanks Mark.

I have had some good advice from folks on a lot of this stuff. I do like to blab and post pictures so you will see and hear more. What i find is that people blabbing on this forum are the source of SO much valuable information. I can't believe I finally got a car after all these years. And according to people who know the car and have seen it over the years along with recent pictures, I should have a pretty good one. Hopefully she will be painted this winter.

I really want to do the interior upholstery but the prices have skyrocketed so much since I last checked. I have most of the pieces to do the interior in Red/White but the person who made the door panels made them too thick for the bottom of the door to close. If I can get that licked, then maybe I can do that until I can afford a new interior in Gray/White

After I get the top fabric on the frame (awaiting the front seal/weatherstripping to arrive) I hope to tackle wiring up the pole light and marine light. For some reason Ken ripped all that wiring out, but I have the lights plus 2 spare lenses for the marine light. I also need advice on the windshield wiper motor testing and wiring.

I have sourced some sealed LED beehive lights for the front that appear to NOT LEAK. They almost match the factory ones. They have both parking and turn intensities just like the Hella ones.

Feel free to speak up if you have suggestions.

Ralph

RalphF

I have completed repairing the windshield wiper motor and will post what I did, with photos in the main forum section

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
auburnamphi Amphicar Owners In Georgia General Amphicar Discussion 2
SNOWBIRD Georgia car Restorations in progress 14
auburnamphi Boat Registration Problems for Amphicar in Georgia General Amphicar Discussion 12
A Lake Oconee Georgia Benefit General Amphicar Discussion 1
A Amphicar owners in Georgia? General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Possible Swim-in in Georgia General Amphicar Discussion 1
A Anyone travelling from Georgia up North or out west? General Amphicar Discussion 0
RalphF Amphi Shirt General Amphicar Discussion 4
mike_israel Amphi article in Classic Motorsports Magazine General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel The Time Has Come ... Selling the Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 7
SNOWBIRD 1965 Amphi project General Amphicar Discussion 1
Jon March Insurance when towing Amphi vs when on road? General Amphicar Discussion 5
Jon March Suddenly "revving up" when in water -Does your Amphi do this? General Amphicar Discussion 13
Jon March Anyone know who ended up buying this Amphi? General Amphicar Discussion 1
Jon March Amphi rear driveshaft & axle detail - Youtube video General Amphicar Discussion 3
SNOWBIRD 64 Amphi??? General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel OT: Something like this could be useful for Amphi and parts purchases General Amphicar Discussion 0
SNOWBIRD Amphi bottoms General Amphicar Discussion 1
Jon March we could all use help with this Amphi issue: General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Amphi on Bring a Trailer General Amphicar Discussion 2
mike_israel What did you do to your Amphi today? General Amphicar Discussion 16
Bilgemaster Original Amphi Key No. 5415? General Amphicar Discussion 13
Mark Richardson RHD Museum Amphi sells at BJ auction this weekend..... General Amphicar Discussion 2
Mark Richardson 2017 Barrett-Jackson auction includes single Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 7
Cameron in UK Anyone know the source of this New York Amphi photo ? General Amphicar Discussion 6
dutchamphi Amphi-scooter General Amphicar Discussion 1
SNOWBIRD A blip on Fred's Amphi. General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Future Amphi Owner Earns Eagle Scout General Amphicar Discussion 3
mike_israel Toolbox Deal at Home Depot (No Amphi Content) General Amphicar Discussion 0
Mark Richardson Amphi sold at Barrett Jackson tonight General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Securing Amphi and Trailer General Amphicar Discussion 7
mike_israel No Amphi content. Search engine duckduckgo.com General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Non-Amphi garage project - shelves General Amphicar Discussion 4
amphi-Ben Amphi Swim In the Netherlands General Amphicar Discussion 3
mike_israel It's the Amphi-Jeep for Less than $2k General Amphicar Discussion 1
azpaul50 Amphi with Spare Harley behind! General Amphicar Discussion 0
SNOWBIRD Another Amphi swims General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Barn Find 1965 Amphi Restorations in progress 3
Midwest Amphicar Why you should visit Florida with your Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 1
Midwest Amphicar Amphi fins and snow drifts General Amphicar Discussion 4
Mark Richardson Barrett-Jackson Auction Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 2
T 62 amphi brake problems General Amphicar Discussion 8
Midwest Amphicar Another sweet Ebay Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 0
Midwest Amphicar Sweet Ebay Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 2
azpaul50 Amphi at Auction General Amphicar Discussion 0
azpaul50 Home-made Amphi in Calexico, CA General Amphicar Discussion 2
Midwest Amphicar Did you put a gift under the tree for your Amphi? General Amphicar Discussion 4
Midwest Amphicar warm weather memory or how to dry amphi General Amphicar Discussion 3
Midwest Amphicar Driving Amphi to Florida from Illinois ?! General Amphicar Discussion 0
F amphi in a video General Amphicar Discussion 6