Fuel Tank Float

azpaul50

I had the fuel tank sender out while fathoming the intricacies of a 3 FUSE PANEL electric system. This is one of the four Pontiac Moon cars and has been rewired and rewired and rewired... ugh. Anyway, the plastic "Motor Meter" float is full of gas apparently having been patched with RTV or something in the past. While surfing around the web, it appears that this same float was used on VWs back in the day. I'd rather not patch the one I have again and realize that a float is a float is a float. Still, trying to stay with might be a close fit, I can get an entire VW repop sender for about $25.00 with a float that should slip right into my otherwise working Amphi sender. Meanwhile, Hugh offers only a complete sender at substantially higher cost (no float alone). Has anyone else faced this problem. I'm all ears and thank you. - azpaul50 of the Western Amphi Fleet

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
Paul - If your sending arm moves freely and then as long as you get a float large enough to float the arm consistantly on the surface (Test it in a bucket of water), it will be fine. Connect an OHM meter and check it's operation from E-F and back. Bend the arm slightly to get a snug fit. To bench test them you can hook up the sending unit to the gage along with a 12V pwr supply to fine tune the adjustment for accuracy. The VW ones are an adequate replacement.

azpaul50

John - The gage shows full electrical throw in coincidence with arm movement. It's just the float. After removing some RTV, I can see that they tried to heat the plastic with a soldering iron tip (or something similar) to reseal the original holes. JB Weld would probably work for a while but then the gas would eventually flake it off (later fuel line problems). So, I think you are right... I'll go with the one for old VWs. That pic I saw of a period VW float was a dead ringer for the Amphi one including the indentation for the arm holder. The newer repop looks a little different but should work as well. For the money I'd spend looking for one all over town, it is cheaper to just buy the repop and cannibalize the float. Thanks for the advise. - azpaul50 of the Western Amphi Fleet.

To: azpaul50@hotmail.comSubject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20236] Re: Fuel Tank FloatDate: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 19:41:49 -0500From:

Paul - If your sending arm moves freely and then as long as you get a float large enough to float the arm consistantly on the surface (Test it in a bucket of water), it will be fine. Connect an OHM meter and check it's operation from E-F and back. Bend the arm slightly to get a snug fit. To bench test them you can hook up the sending unit to the gage along with a 12V pwr supply to fine tune the adjustment for accuracy. The VW ones are an adequate replacement.