Frustrated w/ aftermarket parts

Craig Parada

Craig Parada
Ah - you've been restoring production cars. I know, Amphicars seem like they are, but there are many variations. corners aren't square, dimensions change from one to the next. That said, and understanding that our main parts suppliers usually try their best, there's some funky stuff. Some of Hugh Gordon's rubber parts are a royal pain: ALMOST the right size. They are still the best and most complete source for most of our parts, but that kind of stuff is very annoying.

Brian Dowdy

Thanks guys. It has been a real treat to actually work on a car that was made for water and not be rusted out. The only pieces I fabricated were the rear lower quarters and a patch for the front of the right side longitudinal beam. Most of the cars I work on involve complete floor replacement or quarters, so this has been fun.....except for the reproduction parts. They just don't fit like they should and this is not only for the Amphicar, others are the same. I've been building cars for going on 30 years now and I know who to deal with for repro parts on American makes. I've been very happy with Gordon but maybe I'm just expecting too much. Am I being too picky?? My goodness..it shouldn't take 20 minutes to get a stinking taillight lens to fit a rubber housing!!!!.............and I'm still not happy with it.
P.S. I have over 500 pictures of this 5505 actual mile Amphicar..It was parked in a barn in 1972! If anyone needs to see pictures of what was original I can email to them to you and hopefully may help someone (they've helped me put it back together so far!)

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
Having parts manufactured is usually a nightmare. The rear rubbers even originals depending on style can be frustrating to install. Its kind of a double edged sword. One side it is amazingly easy to get parts for a low production car. The other side some are not as good as we hope for. It used to really aggravate the hell out of me then finally realized its all part of the game. Sometimes the little things would take the joy out of the whole project, and I keep finding that life is way way too short for that. Drive it in the lake and you will soon forget about the look of the seal. Where are you located?

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
100_2834.JPG I'm on this page all the time.. How come no one says I sell parts too! To late for this great resto job.
But when I talk with others building up there cars, If I don't have it I tell them where they can, and whom has what, and how good or poor they are.
Alot of club members are makeing a special part for the Amphicar because they were not happy with what was out there, and in a way thats why I started makeing some special parts too..(eg.. dash,cluster/speedo, clock decals) Just wish I had the parts that were in the Stolden Trailer back!If that interior didn't have sewn lines at top I would have thought it was one of the stolden ones(mine have heat shrink seams now)

Attachments

strandweiss62

Problem with aftermarket taillight rubber housing is not only the fit, after a few month it will have cracks due to the tension.

taillight rubber.jpg

@SNOWBIRD
Now first time you show a proper picture of your decals, why didn't you make them closer to the original?
Speedo.jpg Gords decal.jpg

Peter

Brian Dowdy

Having parts manufactured is usually a nightmare. The rear rubbers even originals depending on style can be frustrating to install. Its kind of a double edged sword. One side it is amazingly easy to get parts for a low production car. The other side some are not as good as we hope for. It used to really aggravate the hell out of me then finally realized its all part of the game. Sometimes the little things would take the joy out of the whole project, and I keep finding that life is way way too short for that. Drive it in the lake and you will soon forget about the look of the seal. Where are you located?

The rubber parts of anything aftermarket is absolute junk now, has been for years. I've done a lot of suspension stuff in the last 30 years and have had brand new parts deteriorate in a matter of months. It's really frustrating, for me and the customer. I'm in Northern California in the small town of Orland, right off I-5, about 90 miles north of Sacramento. Oh, and you have to say no more about the finished product and forgetting about the time and money, my clientele already has experienced that part of building a vehicle. That first thumbs up from people make you forget all the the heartache, for me its the build, for them it's paying for it....lol.
" Pay to have it done right the first time, cry only once." <----my motto

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
Not just rubber but steel too. In making of my raised lip quarter panels the USA made steel was properly made. Than I got from same supplier, Chinese steel.
Different characteristics. Made everything more difficult.

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Peter.... good eye there... This is my Fibreglass prototype car, since it dose not have to be original I used a sample decal in the speedo.
This was sent to me by a member and then I sent out and improved on it makeing the numbers correct and colour as close as posible to a NOS it took apart to reproduce decals. I have them in front of me and have photo ,will change in photo above. The speedo you have beside it looks very faded.
Because of the limited number of Sales to be made from any part made, Alot of the things I make are in rough kit form and need final detailing by the installer but all have been installled on cars I have restored over the years,to look very good, But as Dave says once you hit the water,,
2 1/2 weeks to first swim in!

jfriese

Reproduction rubber parts are a particular problem. Usually the trouble is with the rubber itself. Sometimes it's too hard and other times it shrinks over time. As for the tail light rubber, Gordon's has had both the light and the black ones reproduced. One of them (I think it was the black ones) shrunk so bad I absolutely couldn't get it on so I switched it for the lighter ones and they went on okay with little more than the usual battle I had even with original ones.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red