Front Wheel Cylinder

A

amphi662001

Guest
While visiting here in beautiful Solvang, I was doing brake
maintenance (honing cylinders and replacing front brake hoses). When
tight to the hose, the brass end fitting to hull-banjo was rotated 90
degrees from its' attachemnt position (angled to the hull rather than
to the wheel). Attempting to rotate the hose just a "little bit
more" to flip it, I managed to snap-off the hose-seat boss on the RH
cylinder. (I didn't think I put THAT much pressure on it, but ....)

So instead of contining onward toward the Grand Canyon tomorrow, we
will be making the 4-5 hour (RT) drive to/from Santa Fe Springs to
visit Hugh & Shellee and pick up a replacement cylinder (overnight
delivery here is "iffy").

When I get it, is there a secret to insuring alignment of the hose
end fitting to the body banjo? I certainly don't want to go through
this again. My friends are exceedingly hospitable, but plan to leave
themselves on Thursday - I also hope to stop back in the spring.
Amphi, Nancy and I have many thousands of miles to go!

My cell is (206) 919-2287 if there is offered advice that might not
make an email.

Thanks - LarryS
 
A

amphi662001

Guest
Well, we got creative and silver soldered a bearing over the broken
port. That (former upper) cylinder has now become the lower cylinder
w/o a bleeder valve. We were a bit creative in filling and bleeding
the Right Front (the rope providing capture to the shoes when working
without the brake drum was a nice touch), but got the system air free
and functional. The flex hose isn't perfectly straight, but this
cylinder aligned better than before.

A lot hokey, but safe and it puts us back on the road without the
long, "dreaded" drive into LA. I'll replace the cylinder at a later,
more convienient date.

We'll be off to the Grand Canyon and points south and east.

More later!

--Larry, Nancy & Amphi
 
J

John Friese

Guest
Hi Larry,
If you get a chance, stop by for a quick visit. I'm in Santa Barbara
and have two Amphi's. My cell number is 805-570-4778 and I'm around
most of the time.

John Friese



--- In amphicar-lovers@y..., "amphi662001" <amphi662001@y...> wrote:
> Well, we got creative and silver soldered a bearing over the broken
> port. That (former upper) cylinder has now become the lower cylinder
> w/o a bleeder valve. We were a bit creative in filling and bleeding
> the Right Front (the rope providing capture to the shoes when
working
> without the brake drum was a nice touch), but got the system air
free
> and functional. The flex hose isn't perfectly straight, but this
> cylinder aligned better than before.
>
> A lot hokey, but safe and it puts us back on the road without the
> long, "dreaded" drive into LA. I'll replace the cylinder at a
later,
> more convienient date.
>
> We'll be off to the Grand Canyon and points south and east.
>
> More later!
>
> --Larry, Nancy & Amphi
 
L

Larry & Nancy Solheim

Guest
Re: Re: Front Wheel Cylinder

Thanks John, but I picked up your email too late. We
went through Santa Barbara midday today and are now in
Lancaster on our way to Joshua Tree. We'll be through
again in March on our way back & will check in with
you then, if it's OK.

--Larry

--- John Friese <jfriese@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Hi Larry,
> If you get a chance, stop by for a quick visit. I'm
> in Santa Barbara
> and have two Amphi's. My cell number is
> 805-570-4778 and I'm around
> most of the time.
>
> John Friese
>
>
>
> --- In amphicar-lovers@y..., "amphi662001"
> <amphi662001@y...> wrote:
> > Well, we got creative and silver soldered a
> bearing over the broken
> > port. That (former upper) cylinder has now become
> the lower cylinder
> > w/o a bleeder valve. We were a bit creative in
> filling and bleeding
> > the Right Front (the rope providing capture to the
> shoes when
> working
> > without the brake drum was a nice touch), but got
> the system air
> free
> > and functional. The flex hose isn't perfectly
> straight, but this
> > cylinder aligned better than before.
> >
> > A lot hokey, but safe and it puts us back on the
> road without the
> > long, "dreaded" drive into LA. I'll replace the
> cylinder at a
> later,
> > more convienient date.
> >
> > We'll be off to the Grand Canyon and points south
> and east.
> >
> > More later!
> >
> > --Larry, Nancy & Amphi
>
>


__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Web Hosting - Let the expert host your site
http://webhosting.yahoo.com
 
J

John Friese

Guest
Hi Larry,

Okay, I should still be here. See you then.

John


--- In amphicar-lovers@y..., Larry & Nancy Solheim <amphi662001@y...>
wrote:
> Thanks John, but I picked up your email too late. We
> went through Santa Barbara midday today and are now in
> Lancaster on our way to Joshua Tree. We'll be through
> again in March on our way back & will check in with
> you then, if it's OK.
>
> --Larry
>
> --- John Friese <jfriese@m...> wrote:
> > Hi Larry,
> > If you get a chance, stop by for a quick visit. I'm
> > in Santa Barbara
> > and have two Amphi's. My cell number is
> > 805-570-4778 and I'm around
> > most of the time.
> >
> > John Friese
> >
> >
> >
> > --- In amphicar-lovers@y..., "amphi662001"
> > <amphi662001@y...> wrote:
> > > Well, we got creative and silver soldered a
> > bearing over the broken
> > > port. That (former upper) cylinder has now become
> > the lower cylinder
> > > w/o a bleeder valve. We were a bit creative in
> > filling and bleeding
> > > the Right Front (the rope providing capture to the
> > shoes when
> > working
> > > without the brake drum was a nice touch), but got
> > the system air
> > free
> > > and functional. The flex hose isn't perfectly
> > straight, but this
> > > cylinder aligned better than before.
> > >
> > > A lot hokey, but safe and it puts us back on the
> > road without the
> > > long, "dreaded" drive into LA. I'll replace the
> > cylinder at a
> > later,
> > > more convienient date.
> > >
> > > We'll be off to the Grand Canyon and points south
> > and east.
> > >
> > > More later!
> > >
> > > --Larry, Nancy & Amphi
> >
> >
>
>
> __________________________________________________
> Do you Yahoo!?
> Yahoo! Web Hosting - Let the expert host your site
> http://webhosting.yahoo.com
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Front wheel cylinder rebuild parts cross General Amphicar Discussion 1
peterboz Brake wheel cylinder front General Amphicar Discussion 3
jfriese Front Wheel Bearing Covers wanted General Amphicar Discussion 7
J Rust at the Front Wheel Wells General Amphicar Discussion 0
S Installing Front Wheel Bearings General Amphicar Discussion 5
G Front wheel bearings and water General Amphicar Discussion 1
T New front wheel bearings and seals General Amphicar Discussion 0
T Front wheel seal: Spring facing in or out? General Amphicar Discussion 4
T Front Wheel: Seal Install Problem General Amphicar Discussion 2
T Front Wheel Bearing problem General Amphicar Discussion 2
A Front Wheel Bearing Is Off General Amphicar Discussion 0
T Problem with Front wheel Berring General Amphicar Discussion 3
B SV: Shocks/Front Wheel General Amphicar Discussion 0
M Shocks/Front Wheel General Amphicar Discussion 1
R Front wheel question General Amphicar Discussion 5
E Front Wheel Grease Seal General Amphicar Discussion 0
T Front wheel bearing removal? General Amphicar Discussion 5
A Front wheel bearing #s General Amphicar Discussion 1
A Front wheel bearing seal General Amphicar Discussion 2
E Stuck front wheel General Amphicar Discussion 1
S Front Wheel Lock General Amphicar Discussion 0
S Front wheel bearing grease tool General Amphicar Discussion 0
W front wheel bearings General Amphicar Discussion 3
D Front wheel bearing adjustment General Amphicar Discussion 0
auburnamphi FLEXIBLE FRONT BRAKE HOSE General Amphicar Discussion 7
Mark Richardson Greasy Front Brakes General Amphicar Discussion 27
Kruser Anybody know the story of the front damage? General Amphicar Discussion 2
Jon March Looking to buy front shocks (thru body) General Amphicar Discussion 7
SNOWBIRD Engine front plate General Amphicar Discussion 0
DougFromBaltimore Socket bases for the front turn signal assembly General Amphicar Discussion 2
SNOWBIRD Fiberglass Front hoods General Amphicar Discussion 1
MAE Front license plate bracket General Amphicar Discussion 7
SNOWBIRD Front hoods General Amphicar Discussion 0
auburnamphi Front seat sliding rail assembly General Amphicar Discussion 3
rhysaccess Rubber front axle grease caps? General Amphicar Discussion 3
Midwest Amphicar Hemmings on line front page General Amphicar Discussion 0
Bill Todd Installing new front spring/shocks General Amphicar Discussion 7
Midwest Amphicar Amphicars front page of Boats in the Belfry General Amphicar Discussion 0
Jacques B. Question about of the front lights. General Amphicar Discussion 2
LSolheim Front Edge Door Adjustment? General Amphicar Discussion 2
CapnJohn WTB - Front seat General Amphicar Discussion 1
T Fitting Front Deck Lid General Amphicar Discussion 9
auburnamphi Front Seat General Amphicar Discussion 2
T Front Seatback Upholstery Installation General Amphicar Discussion 4
auburnamphi Front Seats?? General Amphicar Discussion 0
Ken Chambers Front coil-over shocks General Amphicar Discussion 32
S Tie Rods - Front End Rebuild General Amphicar Discussion 4
C Where is your front seat belt mounting bar location? General Amphicar Discussion 1
azpaul50 Front License Plate Bracket General Amphicar Discussion 14
T Front Suspension/Steering Adjustment??? General Amphicar Discussion 0
Similar threads


















































Top