Front Seatback Upholstery Installation

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
:032:How does the front seatback upholstery fasten to the metal frame when reupholstering the front seat? Is there possibly a piece of wood or ??? that fits in the channel to fasten the vinyl to? Mine was a bare frame when I bought the car, so I have nothing to refer to. I'm in the process of installing a nice set of Gord's upholstery.
Thanks,
Ted

jfriese

Ted,

There is (or should be) a piece of wood in a channel along the bottom of the frame. This is where the staples go.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

First thing, blast the frames and check the metal channel that holds the wood for rot. Its an easy pc to bend up a new one if yours is rotted. Replace any rusty S shaped springs. If you have any thin or broken tabs that hold the springs onto the frames make new ones and weld to the frames. Prime all with epoxy primer then cut a pc of approx 3/4"x3/4" wood to fit into the channel. Polyurethane it and screw it in place with stainless screws. If you are reusing your horsehair cushions you will want to wrap them in thin foam. Also you can fill the void between the front and rear part of the cover with a pc of foam for the rear seat passengers knees to rest against. Good Luck!

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
My frames are all blasted rust free, painted, and the springs are repaired and reinforced. The 2 pieces of wood is all I need.
Thanks,
Ted