Florida : Lake Mirror Classic

N

nelson625@aol.com

<table id="role_body" style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" bottomMargin="7" leftMargin="7" topMargin="7" rightMargin="7"><font id="role_document" face="Arial" color="#000000" size="2">

On Saturday, October 20th, the 8th annual Lake Mirror Classichad beenplanned to be a great event. However, the weather reports were ALL very negative - meaning wet OR WETTER weather. OK if you are a duck, I guess, but even if you own an Amphicar, it was less than ideal to have a rainsoakedday for the event.

At 5 AM, I pulled up the Lakeland, Florida weatherForecast and that coupled with the TV weather forecast showed essentially solid precipitation and not in small amounts. Knowing, that a weather report has been known to turn out otherwise, I loaded up and took the "Split Personality" 90 miles west to Lakeland. To my surprise, I encountered no rain at all until I was 25 miles from the proposed show, at which time the bottom fell out of the sky. I thought what a shame it was and wondered if anyone at all would come as I expected to be making a 180 and heading home as soon as I arrived and found that the show had unavoidably been cancelled. Two miles from Lakeland, the rain stopped and when I arrived, I was greeted by Ford Heacock, the show's organizer who was running around on his motor scooter. Hetold me that the rain has been heavy until 8AM - which was about 15 minutes prior to my arrivaland then it had stopped. From that moment on, things only got better and better until by the time of our scheduled 1 PM splash in and swim, which was a featured highlight of the event, the sun was actually shining part time. The Lake Mirror Classic went off in great style and everyone had a good time with norain and temperatures in the 80's withoutrealhotsun.

We had 5 Amphicars in attendance -Our "Split Personality,"the Fredsalls from South Daytona, a newcomer from the Atlanta area - John Dunn, Steve Sell with his sharp red and white Pirate Motif Amphi and Sharon and Arnold Hite all the way from South Carolina with their pretty light blue Amphicar. 2 others who were planning to come gave it a pass in view of the apparent weather situation.

Anyone who stayed home missed out on a great day with hundreds of cars and some very special touches which added pizzazz to the event such as a looooonnng line of waiters bearing lunch on trays for the participants around the lake, the whole line ofwhich was lead by a Bagpipe playing Lassie in appropriate attire who heralded the procession as they came. This and other special touches, aside from the beautiful setting are what lend the special ambiance to the show which the participants and the show goers all look forward to.Vic "Captain Splash" Nelson</font>

<font style="color: black; font: normal 10pt ARIAL, SAN-SERIF;"><hr style="MARGIN-TOP: 10px">See what's new at AOL.com and Make AOL Your Homepage.</font>

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Midwest Amphicar Lake Mirror, Lakeland Florida October 18th 19th and 20th General Amphicar Discussion 3
N Lake Mirror Classic in Lakeland Florida General Amphicar Discussion 1
S Lake Dora florida Swim-In General Amphicar Discussion 0
D Florida lake catches fire ! General Amphicar Discussion 1
SNOWBIRD Mid Florida Swim in General Amphicar Discussion 1
Midwest Amphicar Florida Swim In. March 14 General Amphicar Discussion 4
R New 2017 Florida Swim-in poster General Amphicar Discussion 4
Midwest Amphicar Central Florida Amphicar Swim In General Amphicar Discussion 4
SNOWBIRD Winter in Florida General Amphicar Discussion 2
Midwest Amphicar Getting ready for some Florida fun General Amphicar Discussion 1
SNOWBIRD Winter in Florida General Amphicar Discussion 2
Midwest Amphicar Very pleasant ending to a great Florida Swim in week end General Amphicar Discussion 1
Midwest Amphicar Why you should visit Florida with your Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 1
Midwest Amphicar Hey Florida, Hey Gord , How about a Swim In Nov 12th or 19th? General Amphicar Discussion 1
Midwest Amphicar Florida riddle General Amphicar Discussion 6
Midwest Amphicar Any parts needs in Florida? rims, hubs, etc? General Amphicar Discussion 1
F Florida pre Swim in..Swim In. General Amphicar Discussion 6
Midwest Amphicar Driving Amphi to Florida from Illinois ?! General Amphicar Discussion 0
SNOWBIRD Florida General Amphicar Discussion 4
Canadian four amphs Oldtown Florida General Amphicar Discussion 3
Canadian four amphs Florida bound General Amphicar Discussion 5
Canadian four amphs Florida Sunshine,Finally General Amphicar Discussion 4
Canadian four amphs Florida trip General Amphicar Discussion 0
D Barrett Jackson Florida red 66 General Amphicar Discussion 1
D Kissimmee Florida General Amphicar Discussion 1
N MOUNT DORA, FLORIDA SWIM-IN General Amphicar Discussion 1
B Any members around Coral Gables florida? General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Driving to Florida to see family, friends and of course Grandpa wave!!! General Amphicar Discussion 0
W florida General Amphicar Discussion 2
A Hello to Florida Amphies General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Another Florida trip General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Empty trailer available from Florida to Colorado-ish General Amphicar Discussion 1
D Florida Phone call General Amphicar Discussion 0
R Swimming in Clermont, Florida General Amphicar Discussion 3
W Florida Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 0
M Mt. Dora, Florida General Amphicar Discussion 1
B Florida Trailer on Ebay General Amphicar Discussion 0
P Frostproof Florida General Amphicar Discussion 1
Jon March 9,9 hp lake sticker? General Amphicar Discussion 2
G Lake George NY General Amphicar Discussion 1
Midwest Amphicar Vote for Gord and Paul to be in Lake County Calendar General Amphicar Discussion 2
Midwest Amphicar Lake Ozarks 2016 last week end in August General Amphicar Discussion 0
C Boston area swim Canobie Lake 7/12/15 General Amphicar Discussion 3
R Lake Mirror Concours D'Elegance. Lakeland Fl. General Amphicar Discussion 1
Billy Syx Swim in at Port Clinton in Lake Erie! General Amphicar Discussion 1
Cap'n John Possible Swim-In at Grand Lake, Colorado. General Amphicar Discussion 4
Midwest Amphicar Daytona Turkey Run Speedway lake General Amphicar Discussion 3
jfriese Lake Buckeye in Ohio General Amphicar Discussion 3
R Lake Mirror Concourse D'Elegance General Amphicar Discussion 6
CapnJohn Grand time at Grand Lake, Colorado General Amphicar Discussion 0