Fishing on Ebay

Holland

Dave Wind 66 White
Fishing on EBay – Sale of the ‘Guppy’

If you’re like me, you check EBay once in a while to see if any new Amphicars have come on the market and what they sell for. Over the past many months, other than some parts cars, or extreme project cars, nothing that floats has sold.

On September 6th, I put my 1966 white, one owner, up for sale with a realistic reserve of $59K. Realistic in the sense that I think that’s what it is worth. I had little expectation that it would sell, then again, I’ve never seen a one owner, California Amphicar on EBay before, or anywhere else for that matter. Like many of us, I consider mine in excellent condition, though not as excellent as some I’ve seen on the Club Member’s picture page.

On the first day it went from an opening bid of $5K to $20K, and then it jumped to $25K and stopped. On day three, I lowered the reserve to $49K; it jumper from $25K to $35K. There were 80+ people on the ‘Watch List’.

Prior to mine, the previous sellers used “Buy it Now” options and didn’t get any bids. The last Amphicar that I saw sell sold for $30K. I figured I would see how high mine might go, or how low the bottom might be.

One of the first bidders, who went up to $25K, asked me what the reserve was. I didn’t say. He wished me luck, “EBay is mostly bottom fishing,” he said. That’s true enough.

Long story short, after lowering my reserve price to $46,500 it sold. That’s half way between the average price and the high price on N.A.D.A.’s classic car website. All said and done, “you pay for the restoration and get the car free.” In another time, on the planet ‘Barrett-Jackson’, it might have fetched $90 K plus.

Though I’ve never been to an Amphicar swim-in, I’ve been driving my Amphicar around California since 1968. It has gone to a good home, a young family in Kentucky, and I’m sure they will be in Celina.

Best wishes to all of you, it’s been a pleasure.

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
Hate to see you go, but glad Amphi found a good home.

I think it is all about the economy. Many people who were potential buyers a few years ago are either unemployed or fearful that they will be. You can no longer get a home equity loan at the drop of a hat, and many homes have no equity to begin with Yeah, this whole occupy wall street movement is going to be interesting.

What is in line to replace your amphi?

Holland

Dave Wind 66 White
I purchased a 1959 Austin Healey 3000 Mk I on EBay; rusty, but all there. It should arive this week. I'm thinking about submerging it in Molasas and water up to the floorboards for a couple of weeks. Check it out on YouTube under 'rust removal on cars'. There's an Austrailian fellow that has a five minute video. It's amazing. Let me know what you think.
Thanks

Steve

I've heard about molasas and read up on the science. Seems as though it's all based in fact. However, I've also read up on vinigar as a rust remover and have even used it to clean several parts I've taken off my 76 Civic. It works really well. 24 hours in a bucket of 5-7% acid white vinegar and things start to loosen up nicely AND much easier to clean off than molasas. Sorry to hear you let go of your Amphicar. You just got out and I just got in. Good luck with the Austin. I'm sure it'll be a beauty.

Steve

jfriese

Hello,

I bought my 67 White Amphicar from a guy in Paducah KY and hauled it to California. Ebb & flow I guess.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Fishing General Amphicar Discussion 0
L Car Fishing on Opening Day General Amphicar Discussion 0
Jon March ebay: The last / only "1968" car?! General Amphicar Discussion 6
sdreich Amphicar Hubcaps on eBay and More General Amphicar Discussion 4
mike_israel Amphibious ATV on eBay General Amphicar Discussion 0
Midwest Amphicar Ebay let sellers know when they advertise parts that never can fit Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 4
strandweiss62 SPIOS bad taste Amphibious vehicle on ebay General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Schwimmwagen on ebay General Amphicar Discussion 0
Midwest Amphicar Another sweet Ebay Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 0
Midwest Amphicar Sweet Ebay Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 2
R Selling 2000 Dutton Commander S1 on eBay General Amphicar Discussion 0
Midwest Amphicar Arkansas Amphicar Ebay General Amphicar Discussion 0
A BACK UP SOCKETS, LENSES & SALAESMAN'S KIT ON EBAY General Amphicar Discussion 2
sdreich I SWIM 2 (64 red Amphicar) for Sale on eBay General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Back Up Lites On Ebay General Amphicar Discussion 0
Midwest Amphicar Ebay Spring Cleaning Midwest Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 3
A Wiper Blades On Ebay General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Amphicar Memorabelia On Ebay General Amphicar Discussion 1
Jacques B. Suspicious amphicar on eBAY !! General Amphicar Discussion 0
Ed Price DUKW on eBay General Amphicar Discussion 7
chapron67 eBay Amphicar $88,600 General Amphicar Discussion 19
C Scam alert, 67 Amphicar in Texas on Ebay now General Amphicar Discussion 2
Midwest Amphicar Shop clean up - Look out Ebay- General Amphicar Discussion 5
B Carpartswholesale on Ebay General Amphicar Discussion 9
CapnJohn Old Amphi ads on eBay General Amphicar Discussion 9
C Amphi on Ebay a SCAM? General Amphicar Discussion 8
Midwest Amphicar Complain to Ebay General Amphicar Discussion 6
C Rust free body with extra NOS transmission on Ebay General Amphicar Discussion 3
T Amphica Horn Grille on ebay General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Prop U Joints on EBay General Amphicar Discussion 0
Ed Price eBay Searching General Amphicar Discussion 3
LAH20CAR Another Amphib on Ebay General Amphicar Discussion 1
T Rusty ebay hulk in Texas General Amphicar Discussion 0
Midwest Amphicar Interesting 66 from Ebay/Arizona here General Amphicar Discussion 5
T Amphicar on ebay General Amphicar Discussion 14
R eBay scam General Amphicar Discussion 8
Midwest Amphicar Ebay amphibious car almost Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 0
D Ebay Auction General Amphicar Discussion 0
Midwest Amphicar Amphicar You can afford on Ebay NOW!! General Amphicar Discussion 7
A Rear Axle U-joints Now On Ebay General Amphicar Discussion 6
T Brake Master Cylinders on ebay General Amphicar Discussion 2
A AMPHICAR DVD FROM BRITAIN WITH DAVID CHAPMAN NOW ON EBAY General Amphicar Discussion 0
L amphicar on ebay General Amphicar Discussion 6
L BAD eBay auction DO NOT BID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! General Amphicar Discussion 3
D Amphicar happiness on Ebay General Amphicar Discussion 0
D Ebay or what You missed at the Ozarks!! General Amphicar Discussion 1
D rotors Club gift? Celina white amphi ebay Ozark Ts lipstick General Amphicar Discussion 1
D Amphicar "the best one you will ever see" on ebay. General Amphicar Discussion 3
T Ebay Amphicar Claiming Anniversary Edition?? General Amphicar Discussion 3
P amphicar in WA on ebay General Amphicar Discussion 0