First post

A

Arctic43

Hello Amphicars lovers,

After 4 years off restoration my car is ready for the road and to swim.
Can anybody tell me the production date from my car ?
The Vin number is 106 524 213 and the first registration date was 03-01-1969.
A German guy told me that the production year was 1964 ???

Thanks,
Willy from Belgium

Canadian four amphs

Amphicar Expert
There is many theries on how and when the Amphicars were made.
we all agree there was just under 4000 made, We know they planned to make 16,000 a year. So the 1st year there was probably 16000 parts being made.
They had 2 plants making the and club has a photo of one of the lines.
the Therie I like to stand behind is that one plant made straight sided one and the othere made the ones with humps and chrome door glass frames etc.
maybe one was to be a base the other a special or what ever, anyway as 61-2 went on they found they were not selling and had to stop prodution.
As the cars were shipped over to USA(and from there Canada etc)
they decied to ship flat side ones first and stamped the year on as they were sold off, once the flat side ones were sold in 64 the hump side one began to apear in 1965 and most were sold by 67 but there is a dozen or sod 68,s and and few that were not sold at all.Hugh Gordon got the last from Ranchreo motors a few years back that were not stamped a year at all.
Tommy in Tampa claims to have the youngest(last one made) which could have been a proto type for later models and the oldest I have seen is serial # 100042 in Texas about half way threw a restoration, Pter Fredsal in FL has a good running 61 # 100048 and As in post a few down I have #56 for sale
GORD

mschlem

Amphicar Expert & Former IAOC President
The year your car was made was 1964.

The way the VIN's work is as follows:

Each Amphicar had a 6 digit VIN from Germany. Some of the cars were given an addition VIN that had 9 digits to comply with import requirements. This was done by inserting "652" after the second digit.
For instance, your 6 digit VIN is 104213.
Your 9 digit VIN is 106524213.
In each case, the 4th digit from the right (in your case "4") is the year of manufacture....196'4'.
My car, for example, has only a 6 digit VIN. It is 103127....meaning the car was built in 1963.

The final three digits of any VIN (6 digit or 9 digit) is the sequence of car being built during that year.
On your VIN, the final three digits are 213. The means it was the 213th car built in the year 1964.
My VIN indicates that my car was the 127th car built in the year 1963.

On cars with 9 digit VIN's, the 6 digit VIN can be found several places...although sometimes it can be hard to find. Stamped on the firewall, and on a frame piece near the battery are two most common places.

Hope this helps...
Marc Schlemmer.

slantflat

This is very interesting to me. Now granted, I haven't been around in a while, but this is the first I've heard of the third digit manufacture year. This theory puts my car as the 239th car built in 1960. However, it has the bilge blower and timer, and I was under the impression that didn't enter into production until the actual year 1962. By the way, my car is stamped as being a 64 model.

Mike

mschlem

The bilge blower and timer were a requirement of the United States. Only cars that were headed to the U.S. were fitted with them. I haven't heard that it was after a certain year....my understanding was that it was ALL that came to the U.S. Of course, there are a few in the U.S. that came into the country in later years when this wasn't regulated as well as it was when being imported from Germany.

The year stamped on the plate is unrelated to the date the car was made. It typically is the year the car was sold. In many cases, the dealer stamped the last digit of the year on the VIN plate once the car sold. You can sometimes see that the 4th digit is stamped slightly different than the first three.....like the first three were done at assembly, and the final done at the dealer. It's not uncommon to see a car built in 1962 with 1967 stamped on the VIN plate and on the title.

All this makes the Amphicar world quite a puzzle!

Marc.

auburnamphi

I too found this to be very informative.If I follow this correctly my car-Vin #101719-was built in 1961 and was the 719th car built.The plate shows a production date as 1964,so it was sold in 1964.So, my next question would be is there any way to find out when and where it was originally purhased? I am the 3rd owner,I got it from my father who bought it around 1974 from original owner.All I know about him is that he was from Chicago area and bought it as a boat for his Northern Wisconsin lake house.It has never been titled as a car.Can anyone help me out?
Thanks Steve

Thanks for this great info about the vin #s. I never heard it before. I can't wait to check out my vin for the 'rest of the story'. Ina in the Boro
----- Original Message -----
To: ribcab@verizon.net
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 5:46 PM
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-19882] Re: First post

Each Amphicar had a 6 digit VIN from Germany. Some of the cars were given an addition VIN that had 9 digits to comply with import requirements. This was done by inserting "652" after the second digit.
In each case, the 4th digit from the right (in your case "4") is the year of manufacture....196'4'.
My car, for example, has only a 6 digit VIN. It is 103127....meaning the car was built in 1963.

The final three digits of any VIN (6 digit or 9 digit) is the sequence of car being built during that year.
On your VIN, the final three digits are 213. The means it was the 213th car built in the year 1964.

On cars with 9 digit VIN's, the 6 digit VIN can be found several places...although sometimes it can be hard to find. Stamped on the firewall, and on a frame piece near the battery are two most common places.

Hope this helps...
Marc Schlemmer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.21.3/1307 - Release Date: 3/2/2008 3:59 PM

Canadian four amphs

Amphicar Expert
see now if we thake Marc's theroie
then there were alot of cars made in 1960 and 1961 which we know not to be true so again there is alot of guess work out there.
I still go by the theroie that thery were all mostly built in the one year
with a few early ones being built in 61
What is interesting about the early ones is the Front hood and horn. The inner hood frame was of box style and the horns have a smile grove instead of 5 egg holes.
GORD

Mark, That is interesting, but I have a 1963 with VIN 100559, are you suggesting it was the 559th car built in 1960? Also I have a 1966 VIN 106522224, was that built in 1962?
Larry
White 66 in Ohio

----- Original Message ----
To: larrydepasquale@yahoo.com
Sent: Thursday, March 6, 2008 12:45:04 AM

Thanks for this great info about the vin #s. I never heard it before. I can't wait to check out my vin for the 'rest of the story'. Ina in the Boro

Hope this helps...
Marc Schlemmer.

Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.21.3/1307 - Release Date: 3/2/2008 3:59 PM

____________________________________________________________________________________
Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page.
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

DavidC

Amphicar Expert
Looks like we will have another government tax increase next week that will push the price of Petrol (Gasoline) here in the UK to over £5 a gallon - that's $10 US.

We also have a tax increase in October that will mean it will cost me $50 a day just to drive in to central London (and at least the same again to park for a few hours).

You guys would love the London Congestion Charge. The mayor of London "Red Ken" Livingstone hates cars and has setup a system of cameras around the edge of the city and they automatically charge you every time you drive in to the city on a weekday. When this was setup a couple of years ago it was described as a "congestion charge" to encourage use of public transport and was a $10 flat rate for all cars but now it's more about vehicle emissions and you are charged based on the quantity of CO2 the vehicle produces but limits are low so my Volvo estate is classed as a "gas guzzler".

Of course London sits on the River Thames so what happens if you drive in to the city by Amphicar ? Well if you stay on the river then there is no charge but if you use one of the slipways in the city and are then seen by one of the hundreds of cameras then you pay the charge.

Happy Motoring !

David C

mschlem

Steve....
Correct. Your car was the 719th car built in 1961.

Larry....
Yes. Your 1963, VIN 100559 was the 559th car built in the year 1960.
Your 1966, VIN 106522224 was the 224th car built in 1962.

This numbering system isn't my theory....it came from the Germans, who know far more about the Amphicars than most of us on this side of the pond!
Paul Rasmussen wrote this up for the club newsletter a few years back...and René Pohl and David Chapman would maybe be able to speak to this more, too. Please note, in Paul's article (Nov/Dec 2001) there is an unfortunate typo made by the editor (ME!). It says the "fifth" digit of a nine digit VIN is the year of manufacture. It should read the "sixth" as described in my earlier posting. (sorry)

Additionally, the following was printed in the May/June 2002 IAOC newsletter and has some information on RHD cars.:

Submitted by: David Chapman

To fill the gaps and add to the article on VIN’s seen in the Nov/Dec 2001 issue of this newsletter, there were 100 Right Hand Drive cars made. These were all conversions from Left Hand Drive cars but it is not clear if they were from fully built, unsold LHD cars. The quality of the conversion (welding) is not as good as the original, and the dash inserts were made of glass fibre.
Right Hand Drive Amphicars were numbered with VIN’s starting with 200xxx. The first RHD Amphicar, car number 200001, is in New Zealand and is a 1965. I've owned at least 9 Right Hand Drive cars. Frame numbers include 200017, 200021, 200033, 200036, 200066 and 200098. All of these cars have black dash, fender lips, chrome vents and large tunnels. None had a bilge blower. They were a mixture of colors - the normal 4, except car 66 was Dark Green (what I now know to be the Berlin police color) and car 98 was originally black (now red).
As well as the car in NZ, there are 2 RHD cars in Australia and 2 in the USA. (one of these is with Billy Syx)* In all, about 25 of the 100 survive. The last to be registered (number 80 something) is described in it's documentation as a 1969* - but of course we know it was built much earlier!

Oh My G-d!!! Are we in groundhog day again? Ina
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 7:55 PM

Mark, That is interesting, but I have a 1963 with VIN 100559, are you suggesting it was the 559th car built in 1960? Also I have a 1966 VIN 106522224, was that built in 1962?
Larry
White 66 in Ohio

Hope this helps...
Marc Schlemmer.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

Ina, I am stuck in a snow bank here in Ohio! I am serious about the VIN thing, when was my car built 100559?
Larry
Cold White 66
in Ohio

Sent: Thursday, March 6, 2008 10:36:51 PM

Larry
White 66 in Ohio

Hope this helps...
Marc Schlemmer.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________
Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

scottamphi

Larry,
I moved from Arcanum OH to North Carolina mid December. I hear there is a foot of snow there! Don't miss it at all! I spent my Saturday laying block foundation for a garage to store my amphicar.
Scott Whaley

Larry DePasquale <> wrote:
Ina, I am stuck in a snow bank here in Ohio! I am serious about the VIN thing, when was my car built 100559?
Larry
Cold White 66
in Ohio

Larry
White 66 in Ohio

Hope this helps...
Marc Schlemmer.

Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsea...egory=shopping

Attached to this message is

---------------------------------
Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Scott, Yes, I was going to call you about a car show at Indian Lake Jun 28. They are asking for some amphicars to give a demonstration to the crowd. Yes about a foot of snow, I had to put the snow blade on the Amphi and clean the driveway.
Larry
White 66 in Ohio

Sent: Saturday, March 8, 2008 10:36:01 PM

Larry,
I moved from Arcanum OH to North Carolina mid December. I hear there is a foot of snow there! Don't miss it at all! I spent my Saturday laying block foundation for a garage to store my amphicar.
Scott Whaley

Larry
Cold White 66
in Ohio

Larry
White 66 in Ohio

Hope this helps...
Marc Schlemmer.

Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsea...egory=shopping

Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

Scott, Yes, I was going to call you about a car show at Indian Lake Jun 28. They are asking for some amphicars to give a demonstration to the crowd. Yes about a foot of snow, I had to put the snow blade on the Amphi and clean the driveway.
Larry
White 66 in Ohio

Sent: Saturday, March 8, 2008 10:36:01 PM

Larry,
Scott Whaley

Larry
Cold White 66
in Ohio

Larry
White 66 in Ohio

Hope this helps...
Marc Schlemmer.

Is this a math test or maybe a membership test to the 'Elite Vin Ones of the Amphicar Club'? I am way too tired now to figure this out. If I can win a prize or something I'll take the VIN CHALLENGE TEST this week. What prize would I win? Right now I need mucho money to dig out a basement. Ina
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2008 2:40 PM

Larry
Cold White 66
in Ohio

Larry
White 66 in Ohio

Hope this helps...
Marc Schlemmer.

Checked by AVG.
Version: 7.5.518 / Virus Database: 269.21.7/1319 - Release Date: 3/8/2008 10:14 AM

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B First post Info on Restoration General Amphicar Discussion 8
C Can someone post pic of Fuel shut off valve? General Amphicar Discussion 2
Jon March Mike - can you read this post? ( it should be a youtube clip) - looks blank? General Amphicar Discussion 2
LSolheim Post Celina (was "Prepping for Celina") General Amphicar Discussion 5
Midwest Amphicar Why cant I post pics? General Amphicar Discussion 2
mike_israel Post a picture of your Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 18
B Inability to post via email General Amphicar Discussion 0
Cruiserduck Looking for a 2-Post Auto Lift General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Zombie Email post Has Been Killed General Amphicar Discussion 7
A Post BJ auction positive press for Amphicars General Amphicar Discussion 7
R Post Photos General Amphicar Discussion 7
D post Celina deppresion General Amphicar Discussion 0
E Post Clipping General Amphicar Discussion 1
J Amphicar article in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch General Amphicar Discussion 1
B First post General Amphicar Discussion 1