Finally in paint!

Akamphi

Came out of the booth yesterday. :) been a long slow road to get here. I'm going to store it this winter as I'm relocating from Alaska to Oregon this winter. Once I'm settled in down there I'll be towing it down next summer. Planning to do the assembly with my dad. :)

Akamphi

azpaul50

Seeing something like this is like scratching a long time itch! I wish I had the wherewithall to do this to Blub but too many other automotive mouths to feed right now! It looks great!

azpaul50

1962 Amphi (Blub)

1964 Amphi (Aquacar)

1956 Corvette (Flynby)

1960 Nash Met Convertible (Sloryder)

1963 H-D Duoglide (F1,F5)

1962 Harley Topper

1952 Cushman Turtleback Scooter Hot Rod

1953 Sears Allstate 811.40

1973 Twighlight Bungalow Tear Drop

See what I mean???

To: azpaul50@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20615] Re: Finally in paint!
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 13:41:13 -0500

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
I still love the point where it all is the same color. Next is the first time you start it. I have 4 I'm doing now at different stages of progess (2 in disassembly, one bare metal, one just running installing suspention).

This one I just cleaned it up a little, certainly not a top level resto, but presentable.

She looks great Craig! How many times do you plan on sanding and buffing it? It's hard to tell, but I can't see much orange peel. Nothing beats good prepwork!

Akamphi

Thanks John... Wish I could take credit for the body work but I can't. I took the car apart back in 03 or so and gave up on my ever getting the rust repair done myself. I relocated twice and went through a divorce but came through it all without loosing the car. I broke down and paid a good shop here in Fairbanks to take it on. The did a number of cars for a local club and came highly recommended. I had planned to leave the main body in primer and bring it back for final color when I got most of teh undercarage and interior done but changed my mine and figured it would go faster if I had them finish it. If I ding the paint I'll have it touched up after it's running. Hope I don't regrete that choice. It's Viper red... :) Next is the underside paint. Then I need to get it moved to Oregon and put back together. Hopfully I'll be alot closer to actually making one of those Celina trips I keep promising myself I'll do one day.

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
Craig

At least thru all the strife you've ben thru, you still have the car and a beautiful redhead beside you to enjoy it with! Life is good! :dft003:

What I do is to completely finish and paint the inside of the hull first, leaving the outside in final prime so any damage I may do while assembling can be fixed cheaply and quickly before squirting the color outside (painting all panels like doors, hood & engine cover at the same time for perfect color match). I then assemble the car's drive train and interior mechanisims. I have had great success with this method on the last 4 I have done. Something about shiny new paint that attracts scratches!

We recently finished a 1930 Baby Bugatti for a well known (you'd know his name for sure) car guy. Bugatti produced 499 of these this half sized baby version of the 1928 Bugatti 35B racer All hand done aluminum body and frame. It's electric driven with wooden brakes to stop. The detail is amazing, but that what you'd expect from a real Bugatti.

While assembling an already painted body as I'm doing now (painted before I got it) I use TONS of high quality masking tape and blankets for protection of areas that are vulerable like edges and anywhere I may be near with parts or tools.

All Masking tape is NOT the same! Cheap tape left in place more than a week or 2 attach itself to new paint causing damage to the finish and leaving behind difficult to remove adhesive. The $ difference between cheap and good tape is well worth the extra money. Cheap tools give cheap results. Look at the specs on the tape for adhesion time. It should tell you how long it can be left in place without damage. Good tape also will give you a far better edge when painting without peeling the new paint upon removal.

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
Craig ,hopefully you will be able to do a road trip bringing your beautiful red Amphi. You are welcome to "camp" here. You should just plan on doing it. That way you will really be motivated to get finished. Looks really really good. When do we get pics of the red head? Later Dave the Wave

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Canadian four amphs Florida Sunshine,Finally General Amphicar Discussion 4
R Finally.........I heard something new! General Amphicar Discussion 1
D Progress finally, project amphi General Amphicar Discussion 1
G Finally, a solution to amphi shocks & springs General Amphicar Discussion 1
D Door Leaks Finally FIXED! General Amphicar Discussion 2
B finally got some snow General Amphicar Discussion 0
C Licence plates finally General Amphicar Discussion 0
S body done finally General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Drive train installed ... FINALLY! General Amphicar Discussion 0
D ahhhh finally winter is over General Amphicar Discussion 0
D Finally I hope General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Finally - General Amphicar Discussion 2
Jon March the ultimate Amphicar paint General Amphicar Discussion 0
Midwest Amphicar The Smell of Victory or paint or ............ General Amphicar Discussion 3
Akamphi White wheel paint code? General Amphicar Discussion 5
Ed Price Fjord Green Paint Code General Amphicar Discussion 3
W Fjord Green Paint General Amphicar Discussion 0
H paint code General Amphicar Discussion 8
B Bow Light Paint General Amphicar Discussion 11
P Paint General Amphicar Discussion 18
Akamphi Paint codes General Amphicar Discussion 2
W Amphicar Paint Colors General Amphicar Discussion 6
W Paint General Amphicar Discussion 15
A hull protection coatings??---other than paint on the outside?? General Amphicar Discussion 5
K Engine compartment paint. General Amphicar Discussion 2
L Propeller Paint and Cleaning General Amphicar Discussion 3
M ebay Paint chips General Amphicar Discussion 0
C Underside hull paint and engine compartment paint General Amphicar Discussion 6
C Black under side paint General Amphicar Discussion 2
A Shrouds, glove boxes, paint, and new parts General Amphicar Discussion 1
J paint and towing an amphi and magnets General Amphicar Discussion 1
S Touch-Up Paint and Insurance questions... General Amphicar Discussion 9
S Steering wheel Paint... General Amphicar Discussion 1
M Paint Code General Amphicar Discussion 0
J paint for the valve cover General Amphicar Discussion 3
J Paint code for red amphi in ICI paint General Amphicar Discussion 0
J stripping the paint on an amphi General Amphicar Discussion 1
A Daily drivers and paint General Amphicar Discussion 0
S Color codes and paint suggestions and transport tie down tips General Amphicar Discussion 2
A New Topic: Paint Removal General Amphicar Discussion 0
E Paint Planning General Amphicar Discussion 0
V hull paint General Amphicar Discussion 4
A BODY PAINT PREPARATION General Amphicar Discussion 0
R Paint recommendations General Amphicar Discussion 1
M Underbody Paint General Amphicar Discussion 2
C Pictures of my paint job... General Amphicar Discussion 2
B Amphicar Paint Formulas Followup General Amphicar Discussion 0
M Paint Codes General Amphicar Discussion 1
M Fun and Paint General Amphicar Discussion 0