Fibreglass Amphicar

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Work has begun on a project Amphicar.
This was a car I cut apart in 1994 to make my first Amphicar, back end was very rusty, but front was good. I used from the windshild forward on the car I redid back then.Now that I reproduce most of the car in glass I decieded to rebuild this ...I don't know what to call it ..(Glass Car).
Yes the floor and frame were great.So far the front has a 1 pc. fender ass, front light section and hood,inner fenders are glass too. The door skins and bottoms,complete rear fenders and the inner fins,
complete inner rear fenders/wheel wells, engine pod,rear hood, rear section where licence plate is and the tail light ass.
Plan is to test assemble it with bolts nuts screws, then take apart blast the steel part then epoxy /glass it togethere. . Keep it in primer for 1st year.,
UPDATE> MAY 25th 2013.. ITS DONE!100_2884.JPG

Attachments

• test fit.JPG
    test fit.JPG
    319.6 KB · Views: 41
  • fender on.JPG
    fender on.JPG
    402.4 KB · Views: 37

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
Should of went all glass-Think Daytona beach- Run a VW transaxle with props run by electric motors. That way when salt eats trans away-so what- Can use batteries with engine running a generator. Plus have solar at home when parked. I have a rusty chunk and have been thinking about this too. Later Dave

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
In between jobs and house work I have been tinkering with bits for the car and the main thingamagig is now in primer.
when I got it back from blaster, I just about took my hand off when unloading it from trailer(alone), the jack fell, when I was getting up to find a block and body came down on hand. boy did that hurt!. Its now on the rotiserie/IMG_5989.JPGIMG_5988.JPG

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
Now sure looks like a good time to reinvent the dash. Get a tilt column, give yourself some extra room. -Borgman style windshield too.Here is your electric power conversion, with solar roof !
Power Package: 48 volt Torqeedo Cruise 4.0R w/(4) 8D AGM drycell
batteries,4 bank 60 amp Dual Pro charger, throttle w/integrated
GPS speed/voltage/battery level gauges
• ‘Solar Assist’ package: 300 watt photovoltaics, charge controller,
and custom aluminum/fiberglass T-Top

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
I m working on the car on and off, doing all the bolt in parts I will use later. Yesterday(in the heat) I decieded to fit the prop housing in the engine pod and reiforce the mounting area. att. are some photos., the drain pan in middle is werre the drain for land trany is so it can be changed without making a mess in floor(VW oil pan)
I filled in with foam ang FGlass the 2 humps that always have fld of some kind in them.IMG_6073.JPGIMG_6076.JPG

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
Interesting way to save some of the more crunchy Amphis sitting and rotting. These are usually beyond (depending on your budget) saving and the glass can be a way to have an Amphi in "kit" form.

I like the hybrid idea. Maybe very heavy with the batteries and motors. Any idea what the weight of all that is Dave?

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Now that its cooler out and FG, will take longer to set, I have started Attatching the glass parts to the thingamagig.Front end is on. half tubes and boxed corners make it STRONG so Ron can do Big slash ins!
I plan to tape it and take lots of photos.. Just a little bit of progresss each day I can spare some time.
Is a BIG job but I am enjoying the thinking process.100_2372.JPG

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
The engine pods are half the price of Steel...$600.00 for the unit without holes cut in etc.the outer gell coat is done in whatever colour my man is using that day. (You)sand and paint black when painting bottom of car.I have none made right now so you must order!
they are made extra thick but are still 10 lbs lighter than steel.Not really a shipable item and need about a 2 week lead time to get them made.
Hey.. like my new photo,,100_2312.JPG

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
100_2374.JPG The body is all togther now! started assembly on Sept 20th its now Oct 10th.
I painted with gell coat the interior in grey with speckals.
then paint the bottom black.
This project is for sale,
100_2374.JPG

Last edited:

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Before I headed to Florida(in Dec,2012) I worked on a front seat arrangement, First I tryed small buckets out of a Tr, Harold,that swug up to get in rear but they had to be raised and I did not like the way they felt so I went with a Jeepster arangement, 60% bench seat , non moving,40 %tip up passenger seat to alow easy acces to rear seat. (I just covered them quickly in a Tan leatherette that was around)This car will not have a convt. top so rear seat will be up where top usually resides.All the metal is now blasted and painted Black ready to go together when I get back.I am doing the whole car in such a way that all can be put back to the way it would be if Original. >100_2845.JPG100_2847.JPG

Last edited:

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
I was back home for Dec. and worked on Front hood fit and rear hood, It now is held on with 2 pins and clips so it can come off the car easy for motor work,You can see them in the pic. Looks like car will be std, motor powered as money is not avalable at this thime due to Fl. robbery and Home expenses..FG car is in sleep mode for winter on 4 wheels and ready for motor!Bottom pic, test fitting a LED light.

GORD>100_2568.JPG100_2566.JPG

Interesting way to save some of the more crunchy Amphis sitting and rotting. These are usually beyond (depending on your budget) saving and the glass can be a way to have an Amphi in "kit" form.

I like the hybrid idea. Maybe very heavy with the batteries and motors. Any idea what the weight of all that is Dave?

Hi John,
working at Exide now which as you know is a battery company. The 8D weighs 135# each. We actually have some AGM tank batteries that might work better.

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
I was in a trailer supply place ( that was keeping our stolden trailer), bought a supper lock and found some small LED red marker lights that will fit where the reflector goes on Amphi rears.I hooked them up so they light up when foot is on BRAKE(I used a kit car wireing harness that has brake light wire for top of rear hood). They will work on positive ground cars too by hooking up backwards.100_2808.JPG

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
April 2013. Due to the robery in Nov. I will be finishing up this car as a 1147cc gas engine std Amphicar As I have all the parts to do that ,. and Yes this car is for sale..
You can reach me in Canada on the USA Majic Jack Number.. 352 301 7022

100_2382.JPG

100_2380.JPG

100_2383.JPG

Last edited:

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Rear seat arrangement. The seat is going to be where the convertable top usually is, with your feet on the top of trany area.
backrest will be wrap around style and about 4 inches higher than engine deck (Keep splash out of car)
Lights. modern brighter lights with Daytime bulbs in headlights(but on a on /off switch so they can be off in water)Nav light has LED in it,Front hood opens with Gas Rods,
LED's on rear.100_2822.JPG

Attachments

• 100_2827.JPG
    100_2827.JPG
    367.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_2826.JPG
    100_2826.JPG
    390.3 KB · Views: 8

Gr8cobbler

I really like what you are doing, looks first rate and agree that it might allow a few more of the roughest amphi's to be recovered/returned to swimmers. Please shoot some video of the re-christening if you get a chance. :)