Engine Cover Luggage rack

azpaul50

I have a used trunk luggage rack (Amco type) from an MG coming in a few days. It doesn't have the the mounting hardware. Although I've seen a few pictures of them permanently mounted (drilled OEM mounts), I seem to recall seeing some pics of a rack mounted with straps fore and aft. I'd prefer to not mount the rack permanently (to use on both cars). Has anyone out there done this or have pics of someone's car like that with a removable rack? My Amphi/Trailer/Scooter project is continuing and this is part of the plan for the rack to carry a throw ring. With straps, I'd probably use suction feet or rubber caps on the rack feet but know a lot of you guys are more creative. It seems that with a little sewing, two nylon guitar straps might work as hold-downs. Ideas? Thank you. - azradvet

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
I have mine permanently mounted and love the look, plus it's a great place for my wheelchair when needed, or more importantly, the cooler! :) Keep in mind airflow when using it, you need to be sure your engine gets plenty of cool air thru the louvers.

I would use the rubber cups and the pull type straps (not ratchet types as you can VERY easily over tighten them bending your cover) that have a small rubber covered hook that will hook to the front and rear lips of your engine cover (NEVER the louvers!) This method makes it so easy to remove and install without damaging your finish. Never use any felt or anything that is open cell that will accumulate dirt. A small pebble will cost you a lot in paint repairs!

azpaul50

CapN - I think we're thinking the same thing. I also found some car carrier straps with fittings shaped for the trunk edges rather than some form of hook but they are larger than I'd like to keep the feeling of a "small" presentation. I'm stilll thinking nylon guitar straps (most 2" wide) which may accommodate a hook on one end after the strap is cut and down sized. I'd strengthen one end to rivet onto the carrier and the other would have the attachment hook to the existing leather end. The rear length would be very short with the front straps longer. Guitar straps come in many colors to match at least one of my cars and are inexpensive. Functionally, I don't envision much weight actually on the carrier but want an overall "camping" appearance for my car/boat/trailer/scooter combo. Of course, I do still have the problem of where to put the porta-pottie lol.. it is too tall to go inside the existing trailer storage area. We're still shooting for Feb 26th as the completion date but getting behind. - azpaul50

To: azpaul50@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20651] Re: Engine Cover Luggage rack
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 11:04:11 -0500

I have mine permanently mounted and love the look, plus it's a great place for my wheelchair when needed, or more importantly, the cooler! Keep in mind airflow when using it, you need to be sure your engine gets plenty of cool air thru the louvers.

I would use the rubber cups and the pull type straps (not ratchet types as you can VERY easily over tighten them bending your cover) that have a small rubber covered hook that will hook to the front and rear lips of your engine cover (NEVER the louvers!) This method makes it so easy to remove and install without damaging your finish. Never use any felt or anything that is open cell that will accumulate dirt. A small pebble will cost you a lot in paint repairs!

356rico

If anyone could send me an email to rspanjer@shaw.ca I would love to see what your luggage rack looks like. On one of the web pages a Red Cross/Ambulance Amphi had a rack on it so I plan to build some just like it.

Any details may help me out

TIA
Rick in the frozen north:012:

azpaul50

After putting some pieces together, it appears that one style of 60's MG or Spitfire rack work. At that time an aftermarket rack from "Amco" was also used. There are two widths from those product days and I keep seeing the narrower (24") used. in fact, they all appear to be Amco racks. As far as I know there's no OEM Amphicar rack. I've seen pics of member's cars with them on but I just don't want to drill holes in mine for the mounts. Moss Motors also has some new repops for $300+. I'd say to research more members car pictures until you recognize them while later watching eBay or looking at British vintage suppliers.

Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20651] Re: Engine Cover Luggage rack
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 13:34:52 -0500

If anyone could send me an email to rspanjer@shaw.ca I would love to see what your luggage rack looks like. On one of the web pages a Red Cross/Ambulance Amphi had a rack on it so I plan to build some just like it.

Any details may help me out

TIA
Rick in the frozen north

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
For the "hooks" you could make some from say 1" x 1/16" flat stock steel formed to fit your engine cover and then use the plasti-dip coating commonly used on tool handles to protect your paint. It comes in different colors and you can get it by the pint at most hardware stores (Home Cheap-O, Ace or Lowes, etc) cheaply.

I'll see if I can find a pic of mine. My Amphi is buried under snow at the moment. Too many projects in the garage for her to be inside. She's a trooper! Started her yesterday, 3 turns of the motor and VROOM! Even after -21 and now only in the low 30s!

As my shoulders are trashed and very painful some days, I have a remote release for my engine cover prop rod too. It's heavier with the rack. I lift the engine cover and pull a hidden handle (hand throttle T-handle), it releases my prop-rod so I can set it down all with one hand. No need to reach across to release the rod.

azpaul50

Uhhh... my day went all to heck despite the good weather. Went swimming today with Blub and now the oil looks milky. Yup, water in the pan. This was the first time out since the tire fiasco. I've been struggling to get the dang oil drain plug off but it'll have to wait until tomorrow. I wish it was buried in snow instead.

Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 16:49:15 -0500

For the "hooks" you could make some from say 1" x 1/16" flat stock steel formed to fit your engine cover and then use the plasti-dip coating commonly used on tool handles to protect your paint. It comes in different colors and you can get it by the pint at most hardware stores (Home Cheap-O, Ace or Lowes, etc) cheaply.

I'll see if I can find a pic of mine. My Amphi is buried under snow at the moment. Too many projects in the garage for her to be inside. She's a trooper! Started her yesterday, 3 turns of the motor and VROOM! Even after -21 and now only in the low 30s!

As my shoulders are trashed and very painful some days, I have a remote release for my engine cover prop rod too. It's heavier with the rack. I lift the engine cover and pull a hidden handle (hand throttle T-handle), it releases my prop-rod so I can set it down all with one hand. No need to reach across to release the rod.