eBay Amphicar $88,600

chapron67

Anyone know the Amphicar on eBay that didn't make reserve at $88,600! It's basically brand new/ completely restored with 10 miles. eBay item number 160481271614.

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
How many items can be considered not factory/ concourse? or missing? More than 1 2 3 4 or 5? . I had wanted to have a "Celina" gold like they have for Vettes and other marques. That way if someone wants to restore they would have proper guidelines. But every year another gets "restored" Later Dave the Wave

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
I just had a visit with a fellow with a 92 Vette.
All he did was talk about the point etc. at shows and the scores etc.
On and on.
I am so glad that Amphicars are all about FUN and not being Judged!
I like that at our meets there are car out there being driven in what ever shape the owner can afford or wants as well as some outstanding examples
I saw one in NH that was so good he could not dive it, Him and I agreeded that there is not much fun in owning a Amphicar like that.
GORD S>

Midwest Amphicar

I do not disagree with that. But the resources should be available. Also if you are advertising as factory fresh the information should be available to prove it. It is a difficult challenge to do true restorations, which is also part of the "fun". There are at least five non factory differences. Do you know what they are? Dave the Wave

azpaul50

By the way Gord.... a '92 Vette ain't much to shout about anyway unless it was a ZR-1....otherwise high production and no claim to fame other than being the first LT-1s at 300HP. You can buy '92s all day long for $10K and show quality for $15K. A '92 with Bloomington Gold certification might make $20K. As for the rumor about Vette guys being snobs, I suppose I wouldn't even bother talking to a '92 guy... lololol....................... - AZP 1956 Corvette!

To: azpaul50@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20894] Re: eBay Amphicar $88,600
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 06:53:45 -0400

I just had a visit with a fellow with a 92 Vette.
All he did was talk about the point etc. at shows and the scores etc.
On and on.
I am so glad that Amphicars are all about FUN and not being Judged!
I like that at our meets there are car out there being driven in what ever shape the owner can afford or wants as well as some outstanding examples
I saw one in NH that was so good he could not dive it, Him and I agreeded that there is not much fun in owning a Amphicar like that.
GORD S>

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
I am with Dave in that I think there would be value in a "Celina Gold" type of offering. Especially with some Amphis now well over the $50k mark.

To me it is not about winning a trophy, that is immaterial. However, a lot of owners truly enjoy the quest of "restoring" a vehicle to factory condition. A benchmark for knowing how your vehicle compares to factory build is very valuable in this regard, and has long been missing in the Amphi world. Having a clear standard would also be a great way to evaluate the quality of a newly purchased or restored Amphi.

There is plenty of room in the Amphi community for everything from concours restorations, to batmobile Amphis, to brown wonders. They are all fun and valuable in their own right.

azpaul50

I'm wondering if the community would ever be able to reach a consensus for a concourse standard. A lot of great resto-modded Amphis would stand to lose. I can just see the fussing among Amphi sages. Nonetheless, I agree with Dave and Mike... except it should be "Yuma Gold". Hmmm, that sounds like a great brand name if the legalize something in California? Ed? You with us? - AZP

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 17:06:58 -0400

I am with Dave in that I think there would be value in a "Celina Gold" type of offering. Especially with some Amphis now well over the $50k mark.

To me it is not about winning a trophy, that is immaterial. However, a lot of owners truly enjoy the quest of "restoring" a vehicle to factory condition. A benchmark for knowing how your vehicle compares to factory build is very valuable in this regard, and has long been missing in the Amphi world. Having a clear standard would also be a great way to evaluate the quality of a newly purchased or restored Amphi.

There is plenty of room in the Amphi community for everything from concours restorations, to batmobile Amphis, to brown wonders. They are all fun and valuable in their own right.

Corvette snobs indeed...My '78 Silver Anniversary Edition doesn't get a second glance. :)

How would a standard for Amphi be determined?

"How would a standard for Amphi be determined?"

It seems to me that setting standards wouldn't be all that easy. Do you include dealer radios or does one get more points for a delete panel? Is chrome window trim worth more points? Which car is better a '65 with lips, chrome window trim and a dealer radio or a '65 with no radio, painted window trim and no body lips?

Frankly speaking, I don't really care about Gold standards. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing better than an up close look at Mr. Friese's white beauty and many other high buck resto's but wouldn't the top dog Amphi have 45 year old shocks, one crappy bilge pump, no radio and funky treads on bias-ply? I don't know why you would strive for a car like that.
I'm working on a car that will rival Kamakazzy's car. I'll enter THAT contest!

Brian Crombie

Ken Chambers

Platinum Subscriber
I don't know about all that point stuff but it's always fun to see an old Amphicar parked next to a big bucks Ferrari - and the Amphi has the crowd.

Cheers,
Ken Chambers, CA
'64 Red

On Sep 30, 2010, at 7:26 PM, Brian Crombie wrote:

> "How would a standard for Amphi be determined?"
>
> It seems to me that setting standards wouldn't be all that easy. Do you include dealer radios or does one get more points for a delete panel? Is chrome window trim worth more points? Which car is better a '65 with lips, chrome window trim and a dealer radio or a '65 with no radio, painted window trim and no body lips?
>
> Frankly speaking, I don't really care about Gold standards. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing better than an up close look at Mr. Friese's white beauty and many other high buck resto's but wouldn't the top dog Amphi have 45 year old shocks, one crappy bilge pump, no radio and funky treads on bias-ply? I don't know why you would strive for a car like that.

azpaul50

After going through concourse judging several times, there appears to be some misconceptions. It isn't how many points you earn but rather how many points you lose beginning with a theoretical 100 point car. It usually begins with a tech inspection for operability and safety. Then you move to the judging area and may not go near your car again until after judging. I don't know why but they always have us take floor mats out even though they came with the car. You may be nearby (some places) to answer questions but otherwise cannot speak to judges. Original documentation helps to decide if your car is "correct" otherwise the judging manual applies. That documentation also helps to prove if you indeed have an exception to the manual and avoid losing a point. All that sounds tough but the standards are usually easier than you'd think. I had a 92 point '66 327/300 with vintage air installed. Randy... all 78's had that anniversary badge with the two-tone silver/gray a $349 paint option. A lot of people were taken in that year thinking that this two tone was the special edition CAR. It wasn't, just a special paint option. That was the year that the pace car came out, one for each dealership for a total of 6502. I had #5355 L-82, 4-speed as second owner of one, black/silver decals not installed. I bought it from Executive Auto Leasing in PHX with only 9,000 miles on it. If anyone is from PHX, the "WhyMe" guy (Jeff) was the original leaser. I sold it to a guy from Washington State in 1982. I have watched the prices through the years and am not really sorry I sold it. An Amphicar in good shape is really worth more, but I think you know that. - AZP

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 21:20:21 -0400

Corvette snobs indeed...My '78 Silver Anniversary Edition doesn't get a second glance.

How would a standard for Amphi be determined?

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Hey. I never said the word...SN____ in my comment, and I love all year vettes favorite would be a 63-67 roadster small block Auto.(bad leg you know)This guy said that winning the one award increaded his value $10,000.oo... I never even replied to his comments, shut him out, boreing
GORD.

Midwest Amphicar

How I envision the process. 4 individuals that know what they are doing.
2) two distinct classes original and restored. Original will use "survivor" definition
Truly original unrestored cars would simply be photographed, documented. Condition parameters can be applied. Main goal is to preserve the history.
3) restored to factory blah blah blah. Entrant will pay a fee to Club. $100 $200 $1000 ?
A high percentage of vehicle 90-95% would have to be CORRECT restored. Sure there will be angry people but what fun!!! Then when one comes up for sale with "original" air horns and ...............I am just tired of words like factory correct, original, restored describing cars that are only fixed up really nice.
Later Dave the Wave.... The Allure of Midwest Amphicar

slantflat

I think it's a great idea having a standard to which one can study and compare their restoration to. But what is the entrant fee for? Is this for a competition? Since we never have judged car shows what is anyone entering?

Perhaps the club should search out the perfect, original, non-altered car to keep and own just for this purpose. Don't know where we'd keep it but a good idea on paper.

What is feasible is if someone who has such a car; perfect, original, not altered in any way, would offer their car for documentation that the club could have for posterity.

Mike Clark
Stockbridge, Georgia

2) two distinct classes original and restored. Original will use "survivor" definition
Truly original unrestored cars would simply be photographed, documented. Condition parameters can be applied. Main goal is to preserve the history.
3) restored to factory blah blah blah. Entrant will pay a fee to Club. $100 $200 $1000 ?
A high percentage of vehicle 90-95% would have to be CORRECT restored. Sure there will be angry people but what fun!!! Then when one comes up for sale with "original" air horns and ...............I am just tired of words like factory correct, original, restored describing cars that are only fixed up really nice.

slantflat

Dave, by your signature below I'm wondering if you've viewed the show, "The Allure of the Automobile." I took in this show when it was at the High Museum of Art in Atlanta. An excellent showing of rare, exquisite automobiles.

The show was in Atlanta through June, and I assume it is traveling around the country. If anyone has the chance to see it, it's well worth the effort.

Nope, no Amphicars, but a worthy showing anyway.

Mike Clark
Stockbridge, Georgia

gzink

Re: non-lipped patch panel

Gord/Dave the Wave,
sorry for hijaccking this link but I only access the list via email.
For non-lipped cars with rust in usual places low but with bottom and crease/corners intact and over wheel, do you use flat metal for patching or formed panel? I was wondering since there is slight curve to the quarters but seems not enough to hinder welding flat metal.
Greg Z. (Michigan)

azpaul50

Try this for starters.... - AZP

http://www.aaca.org/publications/manuals/judges/2009_Judges_Guidelines.pdf

Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20894] eBay Amphicar $88,600
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 19:26:24 -0400

I think it's a great idea having a standard to which one can study and compare their restoration to. But what is the entrant fee for? Is this for a competition? Since we never have judged car shows what is anyone entering?

Perhaps the club should search out the perfect, original, non-altered car to keep and own just for this purpose. Don't know where we'd keep it but a good idea on paper.

What is feasible is if someone who has such a car; perfect, original, not altered in any way, would offer their car for documentation that the club could have for posterity.

Mike Clark
Stockbridge, Georgia

Ed Price

_____

Sent: Friday, October 01, 2010 3:08 PM
To: edprice@cox.net

2) two distinct classes original and restored. Original will use "survivor"
definition
Truly original unrestored cars would simply be photographed, documented.
Condition parameters can be applied. Main goal is to preserve the history.
3) restored to factory blah blah blah. Entrant will pay a fee to Club. $100
$200 $1000 ?
A high percentage of vehicle 90-95% would have to be CORRECT restored. Sure
there will be angry people but what fun!!! Then when one comes up for sale
with "original" air horns and ...............I am just tired of words like
factory correct, original, restored describing cars that are only fixed up
really nice.

It seems to me that the concept of investing so much effort in a restoration
to achieve near perfection militates against driving the car into a lake for
fun. Serious competition and judging will lead to hurt feelings and loss of
that elusive Amphi spirit. Some people might like the challenge, but I just
don't get too bothered by the kind of bolts used on the air shroud or the
kind of wiring used.

To me, the mission is the truest test; can you load some kids, drive down
the ramp, cruise around for a while, and make it back to the parking lot?
And the horn has to work too!

Ed Price
Membership Chairman
International Amphicar Owners Club
El Cajon, CA USA
WB6WSN
1961 Amphicar 770
1987 MB 420SEL

Midwest Amphicar

Its a service not a judged show. You want to claim factory correct, best restored, etc The Club backs up that claim if it passes inspection. And for this service I think the applicant can donate to the club.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sdreich Amphicar Hubcaps on eBay and More General Amphicar Discussion 4
Midwest Amphicar Ebay let sellers know when they advertise parts that never can fit Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 4
Midwest Amphicar Arkansas Amphicar Ebay General Amphicar Discussion 0
sdreich I SWIM 2 (64 red Amphicar) for Sale on eBay General Amphicar Discussion 0
Midwest Amphicar Ebay Spring Cleaning Midwest Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 3
A Amphicar Memorabelia On Ebay General Amphicar Discussion 1
Jacques B. Suspicious amphicar on eBAY !! General Amphicar Discussion 0
C Scam alert, 67 Amphicar in Texas on Ebay now General Amphicar Discussion 2
T Amphicar on ebay General Amphicar Discussion 14
Midwest Amphicar Ebay amphibious car almost Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 0
Midwest Amphicar Amphicar You can afford on Ebay NOW!! General Amphicar Discussion 7
A AMPHICAR DVD FROM BRITAIN WITH DAVID CHAPMAN NOW ON EBAY General Amphicar Discussion 0
L amphicar on ebay General Amphicar Discussion 6
D Amphicar happiness on Ebay General Amphicar Discussion 0
D Amphicar "the best one you will ever see" on ebay. General Amphicar Discussion 3
T Ebay Amphicar Claiming Anniversary Edition?? General Amphicar Discussion 3
P amphicar in WA on ebay General Amphicar Discussion 0
R Ebay Amphicar record General Amphicar Discussion 3
D Amphicar print on ebay General Amphicar Discussion 0
A NICE LOOKING AMPHICAR ON EBAY General Amphicar Discussion 1
G ok its on ebay-1967 red Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 0
T Best eBay desciption ever! But NOT AMPHICAR General Amphicar Discussion 2
R Check out eBay item 2218233311 (Ends Jan-23-04 14:58:12 PST) - 1964 Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 0
C 3-D Amphicar Picture on EBAY General Amphicar Discussion 0
B eBay "Amphicar" Searching: Spam Reduction Trend? General Amphicar Discussion 0
S eBay Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 4
B eBay "amphicar" Search Irrelevancies General Amphicar Discussion 0
Jon March ebay: The last / only "1968" car?! General Amphicar Discussion 6
mike_israel Amphibious ATV on eBay General Amphicar Discussion 0
strandweiss62 SPIOS bad taste Amphibious vehicle on ebay General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Schwimmwagen on ebay General Amphicar Discussion 0
Midwest Amphicar Another sweet Ebay Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 0
Midwest Amphicar Sweet Ebay Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 2
R Selling 2000 Dutton Commander S1 on eBay General Amphicar Discussion 0
H Fishing on Ebay General Amphicar Discussion 4
A BACK UP SOCKETS, LENSES & SALAESMAN'S KIT ON EBAY General Amphicar Discussion 2
A Back Up Lites On Ebay General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Wiper Blades On Ebay General Amphicar Discussion 0
Ed Price DUKW on eBay General Amphicar Discussion 7
Midwest Amphicar Shop clean up - Look out Ebay- General Amphicar Discussion 5
B Carpartswholesale on Ebay General Amphicar Discussion 9
CapnJohn Old Amphi ads on eBay General Amphicar Discussion 9
C Amphi on Ebay a SCAM? General Amphicar Discussion 8
Midwest Amphicar Complain to Ebay General Amphicar Discussion 6
C Rust free body with extra NOS transmission on Ebay General Amphicar Discussion 3
T Amphica Horn Grille on ebay General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Prop U Joints on EBay General Amphicar Discussion 0
Ed Price eBay Searching General Amphicar Discussion 3
LAH20CAR Another Amphib on Ebay General Amphicar Discussion 1
T Rusty ebay hulk in Texas General Amphicar Discussion 0