Door Skins

Countdown Clock to Amphicar Forums Shutdown

S

steve reich

Guest
<table>


<font face="Arial" size="2">Charles-</font>


<font face="Arial" size="2">I would be interested in what the others have to say, but my car is currently in the body shop and the plan is to do only the lower portion of the door. The problem is not the skins but the metal on the bottom of the door, which was badly rusted out. From other postings, it seems that once you fool with the bottom, the alignment of the inner metal is important or the doors won't seal correctly. So my advice is to cut the lower portion and decide what needs to be done from there once you have a chance to see the complete rust damage. The welded seam can be placed under the molding (at least I hope that is what my body man plans.)</font>


<font face="Arial" size="2">-Steve</font>


<font face="Arial" size="2">Del Mar,Ca</font>


<font face="Arial" size="2">'64 red (I SWIM 2)</font>


<font face="Arial" size="2">'64 red (I'm still in the shop since December AMPHICR)</font>


<font face="Arial" size="2">--------------------</font>


<font face="Arial" size="2">Message: 3
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 23:58:44 -0000
From: "pdxchuckles" <Charles@ethos-inc.com>
Subject: Amphicar Door Repairs
Hello Everyone!
I'm looking for some guidance as I work to restore a '66 Red
Amphicar. After rescuing the car from a salvage yard, I finally have
it up and running mechanically (it purrs like a kitten!). I'm
starting to work on the body restoration and wanted to get a few
opinions on the door skins. Here is a photo of my left door:
</font><font face="Arial" size="2">http://img279.echo.cx/img279/9284/dsc007119is.jpg</font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">Having never reskinned a door, I'm wondering if something like this
warrants an entirely new skin (like the lower half from Gordon's
Imports) or if I should get a welder to just fix the bottom few
inches (if that's possible)? I would like to do a full metal
restoration (if possible) to increase the car's value, but I'm
wondering if I have to replace the full skin or if I can just replace
the bottom part. The right door is similar, but dented in a bit more.
Any specific suggestions for what I should do would be greatly
appreciated!
Thanks for your help!
Charles Lewis
'67 Red and '66 Red </font>
 
M

Mike Israel

Guest
I think that the key is to bring the door AND the car
to the shop so that they can be fitted properly.
Based on other posts, it sounds like if you only take
the doors, there is a high likelihood that they will
not fit well enough to prevent leaks.

--- steve reich <steve.reich@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Charles-
>
> I would be interested in what the others have to
> say, but my car is
> currently in the body shop and the plan is to do
> only the lower portion of
> the door. The problem is not the skins but the
> metal on the bottom of the
> door, which was badly rusted out. From other
> postings, it seems that once
> you fool with the bottom, the alignment of the inner
> metal is important or
> the doors won't seal correctly. So my advice is to
> cut the lower portion
> and decide what needs to be done from there once you
> have a chance to see
> the complete rust damage. The welded seam can be
> placed under the molding
> (at least I hope that is what my body man plans.)
>
> -Steve
>
> Del Mar,Ca
>
> '64 red (I SWIM 2)
>
> '64 red (I'm still in the shop since December
> AMPHICR)
>
> --------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 23:58:44 -0000
> From: "pdxchuckles" <Charles@ethos-inc.com>
> Subject: Amphicar Door Repairs
> Hello Everyone!
> I'm looking for some guidance as I work to restore a
> '66 Red
> Amphicar. After rescuing the car from a salvage
> yard, I finally have
> it up and running mechanically (it purrs like a
> kitten!). I'm
> starting to work on the body restoration and wanted
> to get a few
> opinions on the door skins. Here is a photo of my
> left door:
> http://img279.echo.cx/img279/9284/dsc007119is.jpg
> Having never reskinned a door, I'm wondering if
> something like this
> warrants an entirely new skin (like the lower half
> from Gordon's
> Imports) or if I should get a welder to just fix the
> bottom few
> inches (if that's possible)? I would like to do a
> full metal
> restoration (if possible) to increase the car's
> value, but I'm
> wondering if I have to replace the full skin or if I
> can just replace
> the bottom part. The right door is similar, but
> dented in a bit more.
> Any specific suggestions for what I should do would
> be greatly
> appreciated!
> Thanks for your help!
> Charles Lewis
> '67 Red and '66 Red
>
 
Top