Dolly Complete

PeterP

I finished up work on my restoration dolly this weekend:

Seems to be holding up just fine, and it puts the quarter panels at a much nicer height for welding.

DavidC

Amphicar Expert
Looks good Peter, I see you have a late Spider as well - must be something about them and Amphi people, you're the fourth I know who has one - maybe it's because the earlier version of the Spider was called a boat tail !

David C
----- Original Message -----
To: david@manbus.com
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 4:00 PM
Subject: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20142] Dolly Complete

I finished up work on my restoration dolly this weekend:

Seems to be holding up just fine, and it puts the quarter panels at a much nicer height for welding.

PeterP

Hehe. The Spider belongs to my roomate. I appreciate it because it makes the Amphicar look positively low maintenance. ;-)

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
It may seem unnecessary but take the next step. Build a cheap roll cage out of muffler pipe. You can then roll car on side and then upside down. You are that close anyways. Pull the rest of car apart. You will be glad You took the time now. This has been a slow project anyways. Your bead/soda blaster guy will be able to do a better job, Your inside paint will be easier. Your floor will be nicer. You will have less crap falling on You. It is easier blowing all the loose debris out. Painting of hull bottom is easy. Friends visit more often, women driving by beep their horns, Guys driving by give the thumbs up. Later Dave the been there ,learned the hard way, don't like going there anymore Wave.

PeterP

Thanks for the advice, Dave.

I had been hesitant to build a full roll cage because of the dire warnings about warping the frame all to hell, and my amateur welding skills. I made some provision in building the dolly for doing it, though, so after I take some time to recover from welding burns and find a cheap pipe bender on Craigslist, I will attempt that project.

As of now, I have a kinda short list of things to finish taking off the car:
1. Front Wheels and associated suspension/steering bits
2. Wiring harness (need to replace connectors, per an earlier discussion)
3. Doors.
4. Front lights
5. Molding

A solid weekend worth of work, and mostly I've just been staring at the side molding to figure out the best way to remove it without risking destroying it while drilling out rivets.

After that I'll work on building a rollover cage. No rest for the weary. :)