docking

B

Bihari, James

<table dir="ltr">
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my engine will be fixed this week and I can enjoy the Amphi next
weekend for a graduation party etc.Also next Sat., my fiance will be with her students' prom at a restaurant called The River Club which is along the river and has a dock. I told her that maybe we could enter
the river by a nearby boat ramp and arrive at the River Club by Amphicar for fun, but I don't know
about docking it. Right now I do not have any of the side rubber bumpers installed. Even if they were,
wouldn't I have to be careful about docking so that the new paint doesn't get all scratched up.
I know NOTHING about boating. On the cover of that World's Worst Cars book I see the two
little bouys hanging off the side of the green Amphicar. I feel so stupid but would they have anything
to do with protecting the side of the Amphicar from rubbing up against a dock? Any docking advice to
share? Where do you tie the docking ropes on an Amphicar (the back bumpers?)
I don't even know how to tie knots! Also anyone actually carry an anchor? I see that legally in Ohio
any boat over 14 feet has to carry an anchor, but since it's so close to 14 feet I don't think anyone would care? Seems like there was something elso I was going to ask but now I can'tremember what it was.
Jim Bihari
<blockquote dir="ltr" style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<font size="2"></font></blockquote>

A

a_colo_native

Jim -

The 2 "bouys" you see are called "Fenders" and thier sole purpose is
to protect your boat (or Amphicar) from the docks. When you tie up
they will hang between the side of your car (long ways as in the pic
to allow for wave action) and the dock. They can be bought at any
marine store for >20$. You could use one rope on the rear bumpers and
one on the front to tie it off at the dock. I have seen folks use the
steering wheel or vent window too.

Be sure you use the right type of knot so it does not un-tie or get so
tight you can't untie it. I can't remember which one it is.

I do carry an anchor. An important piece of safety equipment that
everyone should have. Get a book on boating and learn the rules and
get good advice on boating terminology. It will help keep you safe.

John Bevins

W

WB6WSN

<table dir="ltr">
<blockquote style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><font face="Tahoma" size="2">From: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Bihari, James
Sent: Saturday, May 06, 2006 1:57 PM
To: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [amphicar-lovers] docking
</font>

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my engine will be fixed this week and I can enjoy the Amphi next
weekend for a graduation party etc.Also next Sat., my fiance will be with her students' prom at a restaurant called The River Club which is along the river and has a dock. I told her that maybe we could enter
the river by a nearby boat ramp and arrive at the River Club by Amphicar for fun, but I don't know
about docking it. Right now I do not have any of the side rubber bumpers installed. Even if they were,
wouldn't I have to be careful about docking so that the new paint doesn't get all scratched up.
I know NOTHING about boating. On the cover of that World's Worst Cars book I see the two
little bouys hanging off the side of the green Amphicar. I feel so stupid but would they have anything
to do with protecting the side of the Amphicar from rubbing up against a dock? Any docking advice to
share? Where do you tie the docking ropes on an Amphicar (the back bumpers?)
I don't even know how to tie knots! Also anyone actually carry an anchor? I see that legally in Ohio
any boat over 14 feet has to carry an anchor, but since it's so close to 14 feet I don't think anyone would care? Seems like there was something elso I was going to ask but now I can'tremember what it was.
Jim<font face="Century Schoolbook"><font size="4"><span class="218465323-06052006"></span></font></font></font>
<font face="Century Schoolbook"><font size="4"><span class="218465323-06052006"></span></font></font></font></blockquote>
<font face="Century Schoolbook"><font size="4"><span class="218465323-06052006"><font color="#0000ff">I would avoid docking as much as possible. Docks and piers and wharfs are nasty places for a boat. You almost always see a ragged interface with your hull, lots of yucky slime, protruding bolts, and damage from previously docked vessels. You have to consider water level changes (tidal range, lake seiches, river level changes, wakes from other vessels). Floating pontoon piers may be best, the rock edge of an ocean wharf may be the worst (rivaled by going through locks).</font></span></font></font></font>
<font face="Century Schoolbook"><font size="4"><span class="218465323-06052006"></span></font></font></font>
<font face="Century Schoolbook"><font size="4"><span class="218465323-06052006"><font color="#0000ff">You have to consider that the wind, currents &wakes will keep your vessel constantly "working" against the dock. A few hours of bouncing off a telephone-pole sized pier piling can make a terrible mess of your hull. Even the lines (ropes) that you use to tie up create problems; for instance, a line from a pier bollard to your steering wheel will lay over the edge of your door. A few hours of thatline rubbing and chaffing will remove a chunk of your paint job!</font></span></font></font></font>
<font face="Century Schoolbook"><font size="4"><span class="218465323-06052006"></span></font></font></font>
<font face="Century Schoolbook"><font size="4"><span class="218465323-06052006"><font color="#0000ff">For small-craft docking, a 6-foot boat-hook is very handy. (Ever see somebody get walked off a deck because they couldn't hold the force of their boat and also couldn't remember to let go of the hook?) OTOH, it's a bit hard to stow that hook in your Amphi.</font></span></font></font></font>
<font face="Century Schoolbook"><font color="#0000ff" size="4"><span class="218465323-06052006"></span></font></font></font>
<font face="Century Schoolbook"><font color="#0000ff" size="4"><span class="218465323-06052006">Even if you tie up to a good pier, put out excellent fenders, and take care with your lines, there's another thing. Every see small-craft "double parked"? When the fourth guy pulls up to a 3-boat pier, he just might decide to tie his boat against yours, and walk across yours to the pier. It's a bit ethically tacky, but it happens all the time. So how good are his fenders?</span></font></font></font>
<font face="Century Schoolbook"><font size="4"><span class="218465323-06052006"><font color="#0000ff">Getting in & out of an Amphi and onto a pier takes a bit of dexterity. There's really no such thing as a "deck" on an Amphi, and you almost have to step in the middle of your seat every time.</font></span><span class="218465323-06052006"><font color="#0000ff">Many of us have passed the time of peak athletic prowess in our lives, and we should limit ourselves to using the doors! <g></font></span></font></font></font>
<font face="Century Schoolbook"><font color="#0000ff" size="4"><span class="218465323-06052006"></span></font></font></font>
<font face="Century Schoolbook"><font color="#0000ff" size="4"><span class="218465323-06052006">Sure, it may be tempting to want to tie up to that restaurant pier. But I say you should choose a restaurant for its easily accessible ramp (just like truckers know that the first criteria for a good truck stop is a really big parking lot). Cruise by the waterfront view, up the ramp, and park safely. Very unlikely that you will fall into the water in front of everybody. Plus, it really rubs it in to those Hummer guys what all-terrain really means.</span></font></font></font>
<font face="Century Schoolbook"><font color="#0000ff" size="4"><span class="218465323-06052006">Finally, about anchors. Now, we're not talking about anchoring techniques for keeping you off a lee shore in a 20 knot breeze. Anchoring an Amphi means holding you in place in a lake with aslight breeze, or maybe in a lazy stream against a slow current. So forget about those fancy Danforth or other anchors, all you need is a little mushroom weight on a line. (And you hardly ever loose those due to bottom fouling.)</span></font></font></font>
<font face="Century Schoolbook"><font color="#0000ff" size="4"><span class="218465323-06052006">I don't think there any really good places on an Amphi for attaching an anchor line. I have seen some Amphis with modest cleats atop the front fenders. But those cleats are hard to reach from your seat. Tying to the steering column is probably best. One problem is getting a good tie point to provide stability. You don't want the Amphi to try to hang broadside to a current, as it will do a slow oscillation like a big fishing lure. Ideally, your anchor line attachment point should be on the vehicle centerline, either full forward or full aft. That way, the Amphi will line up with the current, with the tires acting like stabilizing keels.</span></font></font></font>
<font face="Century Schoolbook"><font color="#0000ff" size="4"><span class="218465323-06052006">OK, if you have to do it, rig a small messenger line to the anchor line, about 15 feet from the Amphi end of the line. Connect the anchor line to the Amphi while still on land, and put all the line and anchor in the passenger compartment. When ready to anchor, deploy the anchor line, but don't drop the end of the messenger line. The Amphi will pay out the line until it holds and lines up with the current. When ready to weigh anchor, pull in the messenger line till you can grab the anchor line, then haul in the anchor. Is all this really fun?</span></font></font></font>
<font face="Century Schoolbook"><font color="#0000ff" size="4"><span class="218465323-06052006">
<div align="left"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">Ed Price</font>
<div align="left"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">El Cajon, CA USA</font>
<div align="left"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">67 Rust Guppy</font>
<div align="left"><font color="#0000ff" size="4"></font></span></font></font></font>

B

bomby74

Jim,
Don't forget to consider any leaks your Amphicar may have. If you
intend on leaving her for a while tied up and your car leaks,
hopefully you've got a float switch for your bilge pump.

Brian

D

David Chapman

Re: Re: docking

<table bgColor="#ffffff">
<font face="Arial" size="2">On the subject of fenders look out for the "hull hugger" brand. West Marine and some others sell them. They are square which although doesn't look as authentic it makes them much easier to use and store - they work great in Amphicar. </font>
<font face="Arial" size="2"></font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">David C</font>