Dipping A Car

dougn200

What is everyones opinion on dipping a car there is the question of seepage but with the amphicar being more open then normal cars I dont know if this is as big a problem.

Also what does the crowd think of ecoating afterwards I know that Fergy did this in Indy maybe he could enter an opinion

On ecoating do we dip car before metal replacement or after?

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
I can't comment on ecoating because I have not used it myself, but I will say that I prefer media blasting over chemical dipping. The chemicals get into every crevise. This sounds a well and good but the downside is that it gets into every crevise. This means you will have a hard time neutralizing or removing it all. It has a tendancy to seep out over time which is not what you want to see. Contamination is a big problem for the lasting qualities of good finish work. I wouldn't want any of those chemicals to find thier way into my waters either.

Media blasting (NOT SAND!) is not destructive to the original metal and gives a virgin surface to work with. You won't have the chemicals seeping out to ruin a newly shot paint job nor will they remain in hidden corners to eat away good metal for years. We cut a car in half that had sat for at least 30 years and there was water inside the frame still. It was so weak I think you could have just broke it in half anyway,

Inside and out, entire car (Top frame, doors, hood and engine cover) all media blasted was about $1800 in Denver last August.

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
I am pretty sure Indy Sam dipped twice. Once to see needed areas of repair, a second to clean welded seems. Then was e coated. He then spent a long time cleaning threads and other small tolerance areas of e coat material. He also spent about 40 hours making cage to hold car and parts. For Me it is too costly of an option. I have had excellent results with bead blasting. Later Dave the Wave

On dipping vs blasting, I had the car blasted, but I have a door that is rusted at the seam of the frame and skin at the bottom, and thought dipping the door was the best way to go. What do you think?
Larry
White 66 in Ohio

Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 8:19:03 AM
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20237] Re: Dipping A Car

I am pretty sure Indy Sam dipped twice. Once to see needed areas of repair, a second to clean welded seems. Then was e coated. He then spent a long time cleaning threads and other small tolerance areas of e coat material. He also spent about 40 hours making cage to hold car and parts. For Me it is too costly of an option. I have had excellent results with bead blasting. Later Dave the Wave

PeterP

On dipping vs blasting, I had the car blasted, but I have a door that is rusted at the seam of the frame and skin at the bottom, and thought dipping the door was the best way to go. What do you think?
Larry
White 66 in Ohio

I have the same issue with one of my doors. I was just planning on getting it as clean as possible through blasting, and then depending on how bad it is, hitting it with some Rust Converter from Eastwood.

Eastwood Co. - Eastwood Rust Converter Aerosol

The alternative is getting the door skins off and sanding and repainting it all, but that looks like a hairy job.

Peter

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
On dipping vs blasting, I had the car blasted, but I have a door that is rusted at the seam of the frame and skin at the bottom, and thought dipping the door was the best way to go. What do you think? Larry

I still think you're better of w/o dipping. Media blast (again, not sand unless you know what you're doing so you don't warp the panels) the area, remove rusty sections, fab new ones and you will be good as new.

Thanks John.
Larry

Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 1:19:12 PM
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20237] Re: Dipping A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry DePasquale
On dipping vs blasting, I had the car blasted, but I have a door that is rusted at the seam of the frame and skin at the bottom, and thought dipping the door was the best way to go. What do you think? Larry I still think you're better of w/o dipping. Media blast (again, not sand unless you know what you're doing so you don't warp the panels) the area, remove rusty sections, fab new ones and you will be good as new.

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
Once you media blast it you will likely discover that the metal is worn so thin that you are beyond any "rust converter" products and will need to do some fabrication and welding work.* Do it right the first time, it will be cheaper in the long run.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Acid dipping of Amphicar parts General Amphicar Discussion 1