DFW area meeting

A

amphi_sc

Guest
Preliminary plans are being made for a Dallas / Fort Worth area
regional get-to-gether/swim-in on the weekend of October 18th. I'd
appreciate hearing suggestions from anybody interested in coming.

Al Heath
 
W

warren

Guest
The first I think we should do is to eat something, then find a
lake, then maybe eat something at a restaurant on the lake. I'll
be there!

-- Warren
'66 White "FLOATS"

>
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 19:36:46 -0000
> From: "amphi_sc" <aheath@us.ibm.com>
> Subject: DFW area meeting
>
> Preliminary plans are being made for a Dallas / Fort Worth area
> regional get-to-gether/swim-in on the weekend of
> October 18th. I'd
> appreciate hearing suggestions from anybody interested
> in coming.
>
> Al Heath
 
D

Daniel & Kathy Gibson

Guest
Re: RE: DFW area meeting

I like the way Warren thinks! Have we decided on a lake yet? I will have
to decide whether or not to trailer Das Boot (tranny is getting a little
noisy). I sure would rather drive it though.

Al, any idea on how many Amphis might show up? Also, should we alert the
media?

Dan
'64 Das Boot

warren wrote:
>
> The first I think we should do is to eat something, then find a
> lake, then maybe eat something at a restaurant on the lake. I'll
> be there!
>
> -- Warren
> '66 White "FLOATS"
>
> >
> >
> > Message: 2
> > Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 19:36:46 -0000
> > From: "amphi_sc" <aheath@us.ibm.com>
> > Subject: DFW area meeting
> >
> > Preliminary plans are being made for a Dallas / Fort Worth area
> > regional get-to-gether/swim-in on the weekend of
> > October 18th. I'd
> > appreciate hearing suggestions from anybody interested
> > in coming.
> >
> > Al Heath
>
>
> THE AMPHICAR-LOVERS LIST
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Before posting requests for information, please check the List
> Archives:
> http://www.escribe.com/automotive/amphicar/search.html
> For more information about this List and other available services
> visit:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amphicar-lovers/
> To UNsubscribe from this List, just send a blank email to:
> amphicar-lovers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
> Any other issues may be addressed to the List owner (Mike Israel) at:
> amphicar770@yahoo.com
> This list is provided as a free service. Please support our sponsors at:
> http://www.growerflower.com/default.asp?id=41762
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

--

Daniel and Kathy Gibson
http://www.katestrackshack.com
"Kate's Track Shack -Your Internet Home For Inexpensive 8-tracks!!"
AND...
http://drnooseandjambone.com
"DrNoose And Jambone - Do It To The Optigan!"
 
I

installerjack@htn.net>

Guest
Re: Re: RE: DFW area meeting

Eagle Mountain Lake would be a great lake to meet at.
Jack

----- Original Message -----
From: Daniel & Kathy Gibson
Sent: 9/20/2003 8:57:36 PM
To: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [amphicar-lovers] RE: DFW area meeting

> I like the way Warren thinks! Have we decided on a lake yet? I will have
> to decide whether or not to trailer Das Boot (tranny is getting a little
> noisy). I sure would rather drive it though.
>
> Al, any idea on how many Amphis might show up? Also, should we alert the
> media?
>
> Dan
> '64 Das Boot
>
> warren wrote:
> >
> > The first I think we should do is to eat something, then find a
> > lake, then maybe eat something at a restaurant on the lake. I'll
> > be there!
> >
> > -- Warren
> > '66 White "FLOATS"
> >
> > >
> > >
> > > Message: 2
> > > Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 19:36:46 -0000
> > > From: "amphi_sc" <aheath@us.ibm.com>
> > > Subject: DFW area meeting
> > >
> > > Preliminary plans are being made for a Dallas / Fort Worth area
> > > regional get-to-gether/swim-in on the weekend of
> > > October 18th. I'd
> > > appreciate hearing suggestions from anybody interested
> > > in coming.
> > >
> > > Al Heath
> >
> >
> > THE AMPHICAR-LOVERS LIST
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Before posting requests for information, please check the List
> > Archives:
> > http://www.escribe.com/automotive/amphicar/search.html
> > For more information about this List and other available services
> > visit:
> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amphicar-lovers/
> > To UNsubscribe from this List, just send a blank email to:
> > amphicar-lovers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
> > Any other issues may be addressed to the List owner (Mike Israel) at:
> > amphicar770@yahoo.com
> > This list is provided as a free service. Please support our sponsors at:
> > http://www.growerflower.com/default.asp?id=41762
> >
> >
> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
> --
>
> Daniel and Kathy Gibson
> http://www.katestrackshack.com
> "Kate's Track Shack -Your Internet Home For Inexpensive 8-tracks!!"
> AND...
> http://drnooseandjambone.com
> "DrNoose And Jambone - Do It To The Optigan!"
>
>
> THE AMPHICAR-LOVERS LIST
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Before posting requests for information, please check the List
> Archives:
> http://www.escribe.com/automotive/amphicar/search.html
> For more information about this List and other available services
> visit:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amphicar-lovers/
> To UNsubscribe from this List, just send a blank email to:
> amphicar-lovers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
> Any other issues may be addressed to the List owner (Mike Israel) at:
> amphicar770@yahoo.com
> This list is provided as a free service. Please support our sponsors at:
> http://www.growerflower.com/default.asp?id=41762
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>
>
 
J

Jack Knopf

Guest
Would it be possible to meet in the middle of a lake if someone were
to furnish a 42' Yacht to meet at? Can the amphi's tie up to
something like that and not get beat up? My yacht is on Eagle Mtn.
Lake and I will furnish all of the Brisket and Potato Salad, ect.,
ect., at a nice little cove on the lake just for a chance to see an
amphi swim. I have had a few offers from some nice people to see
theirs and go for a swim but have not got around to it yet. Mine is
still under restoration and going very slowly. My yacht is for sale
in the Ft. Worth paper for $4000. If any area Amphi-owner is
intrested the price would be $3000. (With a ride in a amphi) This is
just an idea, later, Jack & Diana. (67 amphi)
 
A

Al Heath

Guest
My original thoughts were to first meet around the Grapevine Lake area as
there are several ramps close by, a good selection of restaurants in town
(1 to 2 miles from the ramps), and hotels and ample trailer parking for any
out of towners. As I'd like to encourage the people in the area who are
working on amphi projects to come, we could start the day off with a good
"get to know you" breakfast, share things/tips/experiences about our cars,
etc, and divy up extra riders for a swim in the lake, going in and out at
several ramps, maybe even take a longer swim around the lake to Sneaky
Pete's on the lake for a lunch snack of some Alligator or just ordinary
burgers. (That could be a nice hour cruise along the shore with several
exit strategies should the need arise, or for the adventurous, 20 minutes
straight across the middle). On Lake Grapevine, I could attempt to reserve
a campsite/group table at the campground by one marina (which is a short 10
minute swim from another marina and within a 10 minute swim of several
other ramps) as a "base area" camp. Nice quiet water in the marina bay(s)
even if the wind is doing obnoxious things on the main body, but typically
as wind blows out of the south and lake is east-west, the south shore is
normally pleasant. Basically, these marina's are 1 to 2 miles from
"restaurant/hotel row" in Grapevine. The only drawback to the camping area
is the "gate attendants" who seem to think Amphicars "disturb the guests"
as the "other camping guests" usually come down with cameras in hand to see
the amphis. (Amphis are seen quite often on Grapevine, so the sight is not
that unusual to many people...) These are the only set of gate attendants
that I have ever seen react this way, but there are other picnic tables on
the water at several of the the other nearby ramps that could be an
alternative if I can't get a better understanding with these folks.
However, restaurants directly on the water are quite limitted.

Steve, ... Question.... would the Dallas DUKW club want to adventure into
Grapevine, or in the afternoon should we try nearby Lake Lewisville (20-30
minute drive east) and check out the other Sneaky Pete's on that lake with
Steve as a guide. I hear he's good at driving around picnic tables....
I'm not at all familiar with nearby Lake Arlington, but should we choose to
adventure down there, perhaps Dan could be the guide ... I'm estimating
that is about a 40-60 minute amphi drive south through the traffic. I've
also been on Eagle Mountain and that is on the west side of the metroplex
about 40-50 amphi minutes west from Grapevine if Jack would like to share
some interesting things he's done with electricity. However, I think two
different lakes would be the max on any given day. ... Grapevine and one
other, or just Grapevine. I may be prejudiced as I swim Grapevine more,
but tend to think the wind driven waves situation, multiple convenient ramp
locations, and nearness of town favor Grapevine Lake. As for media, I
could go either way. I just want a good time with our friends and
encourage the folks working on projects. As for media ... Unless the
Democrats leave the state again, or the military situation takes another
twist, I'm sure we could get the media for a spot of swimming with the
Dallas DUKW club if we wanted the attention. Saturday night there are
usually several car shows in the area should people want to invade a show,
but the majority of the ones I know about would be about a 20 minute drive
from Grapevine Lake and consume the early evening. If there is interest in
socializing at a car show (as opposed to more swimming and socializing at
the lake), I could see about making arrangements for a group entry. I'd
like this to be "our swim-in" doing what ever the majority would like to
do. With the preliminary announcement, there are already a half dozen cars
that are interested. If other out of towner's want to do things on Friday
or into late Sunday, we can do that too! There is a good quantity of
quality rooms in the area so reservations will not be a problem as it is
every year in Celina. Just let me know.

Lets keep the suggestions flowing.
Al
<http://www.amphicar.net/aboat2>
 
W

warren

Guest
Jack,

Did you mention Brisket? If we can't tie up, I have an anchor,
do you have a dinghy?

Seriously though, if we can't include Eagle Mtn. Lake this time,
would you be able to drive over to one of the other lakes that Al
mentioned? After the first ride I'll let you drive the car.

-- Warren
'66 White, "FLOATS"


> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 15:04:06 -0000
> From: "Jack Knopf" <installerjack@htn.net>
> Subject: DFW area meeting
>
> Would it be possible to meet in the middle of a lake
> if someone were
> to furnish a 42' Yacht to meet at? Can the amphi's tie up to
> something like that and not get beat up? My yacht is
> on Eagle Mtn.
> Lake and I will furnish all of the Brisket and Potato
> Salad, ect.,
> ect., at a nice little cove on the lake just for a
> chance to see an
> amphi swim. I have had a few offers from some nice
> people to see
> theirs and go for a swim but have not got around to it
> yet. Mine is
> still under restoration and going very slowly. My
> yacht is for sale
> in the Ft. Worth paper for $4000. If any area Amphi-owner is
> intrested the price would be $3000. (With a ride in a
> amphi) This is
> just an idea, later, Jack & Diana. (67 amphi)
 
J

Jack Knopf

Guest
Re: RE: DFW area meeting

Yea, after hearing how well he had it planned , Grapevine sounds good. Eagle
Mtn. does not have all that many escape routes.
Just tell me where and when and I will be there, Jack.
----- Original Message -----
From: "warren" <kodo@tayloredsystems.com>
To: <amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 2:16 PM
Subject: [amphicar-lovers] RE: DFW area meeting


Jack,

Did you mention Brisket? If we can't tie up, I have an anchor,
do you have a dinghy?

Seriously though, if we can't include Eagle Mtn. Lake this time,
would you be able to drive over to one of the other lakes that Al
mentioned? After the first ride I'll let you drive the car.

-- Warren
'66 White, "FLOATS"


> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 15:04:06 -0000
> From: "Jack Knopf" <installerjack@htn.net>
> Subject: DFW area meeting
>
> Would it be possible to meet in the middle of a lake
> if someone were
> to furnish a 42' Yacht to meet at? Can the amphi's tie up to
> something like that and not get beat up? My yacht is
> on Eagle Mtn.
> Lake and I will furnish all of the Brisket and Potato
> Salad, ect.,
> ect., at a nice little cove on the lake just for a
> chance to see an
> amphi swim. I have had a few offers from some nice
> people to see
> theirs and go for a swim but have not got around to it
> yet. Mine is
> still under restoration and going very slowly. My
> yacht is for sale
> in the Ft. Worth paper for $4000. If any area Amphi-owner is
> intrested the price would be $3000. (With a ride in a
> amphi) This is
> just an idea, later, Jack & Diana. (67 amphi)




THE AMPHICAR-LOVERS LIST
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Before posting requests for information, please check the List
Archives:
http://www.escribe.com/automotive/amphicar/search.html
For more information about this List and other available services
visit:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amphicar-lovers/
To UNsubscribe from this List, just send a blank email to:
amphicar-lovers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
Any other issues may be addressed to the List owner (Mike Israel) at:
amphicar770@yahoo.com
This list is provided as a free service. Please support our sponsors at:
http://www.growerflower.com/default.asp?id=41762


Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Midwest Amphicar Meeting in Tavares area this weekend 1/23 General Amphicar Discussion 2
C Boston area swim Canobie Lake 7/12/15 General Amphicar Discussion 3
mike_israel Any Atlanta Area Amphibians General Amphicar Discussion 3
mike_israel Any Monterey, CA Area Amphibians? General Amphicar Discussion 1
mike_israel IAOC Discussion Area Now Active General Amphicar Discussion 0
M Body Part (Rear Engine area) replacement General Amphicar Discussion 1
M Any Atlanta Area Amphibians? General Amphicar Discussion 5
W New Amphi owner in the Milwaukee area? General Amphicar Discussion 0
M Trailers (PA, NJ area) General Amphicar Discussion 1
J Cars in my area? General Amphicar Discussion 0
E Puddingstone Lake/Los Angeles area Swim In General Amphicar Discussion 0
F Boston area swimin General Amphicar Discussion 4
W Dallas Area Swim-in General Amphicar Discussion 0
B Invitation to: Antique boat show (Minneapolis Area) General Amphicar Discussion 0
V celina area weather General Amphicar Discussion 0
M Amphi YahooGroups Files Area General Amphicar Discussion 1
A Amphicar Yahoogroups Files Area Cleanup General Amphicar Discussion 0
M New door area seam seal mouldings from Hugh. How to install?? General Amphicar Discussion 4
K Chicago area visit General Amphicar Discussion 1
C Anyone in the Houston Area? General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Pics from the Chronicle TV show filming in the files area General Amphicar Discussion 0
C Members area addition General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Response to #141 - The Force within the Bilge Area General Amphicar Discussion 0
peterboz 2015 meeting Amphib Amsterdam europe General Amphicar Discussion 1
Midwest Amphicar Mt Dora Amphicar show meeting Jan 28th General Amphicar Discussion 1
M Meeting Fellow Amphibians General Amphicar Discussion 0
S Meeting in Minneapolis General Amphicar Discussion 0
Top