Depth Finder/GPS/Charting

  • Thread starter chris_skeeles@yahoo.com
  • Start date
C

chris_skeeles@yahoo.com

Guest
I would like to add a depth finder / GPS charting system to
my 63. Has anyone done simular and can you share what you
did?
(as in where did you mount the sensor and how did you run the wire)

Chris
 
J

John Friese

Guest
Hi Chris,
I just bought a white 67 Amphicar and the previous owner had installed
a depth sounder in it. He hung the sensor from a front bumper
bracket, thus avoiding a hole through the hull, and ran the wire up
along the front trunk lid, then accross and down into the trunk. The
whole thing is rather unsightly, however, and I intend to remove it
when it gets here.

John Friese

67 white
67 red


--- In amphicar-lovers@y..., chris_skeeles@y... wrote:
>
>
> I would like to add a depth finder / GPS charting system to
> my 63. Has anyone done simular and can you share what you
> did?
> (as in where did you mount the sensor and how did you run the wire)
>
> Chris
 
G

Greg

Guest
Re: Re: Depth Finder/GPS/Charting

There is a portable unit made by Hummingbird(you can
find it at Hummingbird.com or numerous retail outlets)
that my wife just bought me for my birthday. It does
not have GPS but is a depth finder and fish finder. I
haven't used it yet but the simulator looks great. The
nice part, especially if you don't like the look of
the wires and such permantly mounted is that this one
has a suction cup transducer that you just need to
temporarily attach to the hull or bumper. The wire
runs to a portable case that contains the screen and
batteries. I like that fact that you just undue the
suction cup and carry it away so you don't have to
worry about theft. The Hummingbird also has a speed
sensor accessory that you can buy. I'm anxious to see
how fast my car actually goes in the water.
Chris, if you or anyone else wants the exact model
name and where we purchased it, contact me offline.

--- John Friese <jfriese@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
> I just bought a white 67 Amphicar and the previous
> owner had installed
> a depth sounder in it. He hung the sensor from a
> front bumper
> bracket, thus avoiding a hole through the hull, and
> ran the wire up
> along the front trunk lid, then accross and down
> into the trunk. The
> whole thing is rather unsightly, however, and I
> intend to remove it
> when it gets here.
>
> John Friese
>
> 67 white
> 67 red
>
>
> --- In amphicar-lovers@y..., chris_skeeles@y...
> wrote:
> >
> >
> > I would like to add a depth finder / GPS charting
> system to
> > my 63. Has anyone done simular and can you share
> what you
> > did?
> > (as in where did you mount the sensor and how did
> you run the wire)
> >
> > Chris
>
>
 
C

chris_skeeles@yahoo.com

Guest
Thanks for the info. I considered running the cable out the exauhst
hole (there seems to be plenty of gap room) as long as the heat
doesnt get to the cable which I am afraid it might.

The GPS/Chart is most important to me actually. I can honestly see
myself getting lost on the water looking for a ramp!


--- In amphicar-lovers@y..., Greg <G_Zink_us@y...> wrote:
> There is a portable unit made by Hummingbird(you can
> find it at Hummingbird.com or numerous retail outlets)
> that my wife just bought me for my birthday. It does
> not have GPS but is a depth finder and fish finder. I
> haven't used it yet but the simulator looks great. The
> nice part, especially if you don't like the look of
> the wires and such permantly mounted is that this one
> has a suction cup transducer that you just need to
> temporarily attach to the hull or bumper. The wire
> runs to a portable case that contains the screen and
 
D

David Chapman

Guest
Re: Re: Depth Finder/GPS/Charting

This is what I've done, I have an echo sounder and a "knotometer" or water
speedo. First I tried just bonding the sensors to the inside of the hull
using glue, location under the back seat in front of the trannie. Worked
well for depth guage - it does reduce it's sensitivity a bit - it only works
to about 50 feet water depth instead of 150 - but that's fine for me as mine
is mostly a river car.

For the knotometer, it's a similar type of sensor, works by measuring
bubbles of air in the water - no moving parts. The sensor cable was
terminated in an ordinary coax plug, the coax cable is about quarter inch
diameter. I drilled a quarter inch hole through the hull in the raised area
in the centre of the car where the steering rods go - just to the left
(sorry right) of the steering box, I sealed it with a yachting type screw
down O ring thing. I cut the coax plug off to thread the cable through and
then refitted it. For the sensor mounting - I drilled a hole in that
steering gear cover plate the same size as the bottom of the sensor and then
made a bracket - bolted to the cover plate - to hold it so it's flush with
the bottom of the plate, works well - doesn't protude and so can't get
broken off . Been like that for 10 years - works well.

The actual devices I use are original 1960's - took some finding but I
didn't want to use the modern digital stuff.

David Chapman in the UK.
 

Similar threads


Top