Convertible top

jwillia

I have a convertible top frame that is really dented up on the flat two piece leading edge that fastens to the windshield. Does anyone know the best way to straighten or repair this ?

Canadian four amphs

Amphicar Expert
Everybody takes the to off and leaves it for last to repair when really it should be the first on the list as glass needs to be in and rubber on the top/
the piece across the front is the hardest to repair and there are no patch parts made for them so a expert metal man and welder is needed.(that means expensive)it must fit at the right angle and shape as the front window frame. the side bars must be flat all the way to rear window.
I do 2 mods to all top frames now .I put a tianngle piece of 18 gauge metal at front corners an a piece of rod abot 6 inches long on each side at back once sides are straight.
To fix the front I have made one out of two but must be fittet on the car it is fort.
GORD>

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
Gord Thanks for the reminder. I am too guilty of forgetting about garbage top frame till car is painted. Jwilla nice thing about having junk, You probably can not make it worse. So You have nothing to lose. Fasten top frame on car. Some brute strength and a 4x4 will go a long way. I prefer not to have windshield in but... Once You get basic frame to fit windshield, You can drill some holes on bottom and push dents out. Get it as close as You can, Weld up cracks, grind metal with minimum 80 grit and fill with body filler. Epoxy it up and it will last longer than You may think. Take Gords tip on strengthing top frame. Dave Chapman wrote an article in old newsletter. Then use common sense and see if entire frame looks straight. Bend as needed. It usually takes multiple times. Have rear windows in too so You can check back part. You do not want to struggle to latch. If too tight windshield can crack. Do not put top on tight-leave loose.Remember even new these top frames were junk. First gen was much worse than later cars. Later Dave the Wave

Propcar50

Dave wrote: Do not put top on tight-leave loose

Will the top get looser or tighter over time? My top is a bit snug now. Will I have problems later on?

Randy
Gaithersburg, MD

-------------- Original message --------------

Gord Thanks for the reminder. I am too guilty of forgetting about garbage top frame till car is painted. Jwilla nice thing about having junk, You probably can not make it worse. So You have nothing to lose. Fasten top frame on car. Some brute strength and a 4x4 will go a long way. I prefer not to have windshield in but... Once You get basic frame to fit windshield, You can drill some holes on bottom and push dents out. Get it as close as You can, Weld up cracks, grind metal with minimum 80 grit and fill with body filler. Epoxy it up and it will last longer than You may think. Take Gords tip on strengthing top frame. Dave Chapman wrote an article in old newsletter. Then use common sense and see if entire frame looks straight. Bend as needed. It usually takes multiple times. Have rear windows in too so You can check back part. You do not want to struggle to latch. If too tight windshield can crack. Do not put top on tight-leave loose.Remember even new these top frames were junk. Firs
t gen was much worse than later cars. Later Dave the Wave

jwillia

Just as I suspected. Thanks Gord.

Jeff

To: jeffreyd_7@hotmail.comSubject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-19877] Re: Convertible topDate: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 07:05:07 -0500From:

Everybody takes the to off and leaves it for last to repair when really it should be the first on the list as glass needs to be in and rubber on the top/the piece across the front is the hardest to repair and there are no patch parts made for them so a expert metal man and welder is needed.(that means expensive)it must fit at the right angle and shape as the front window frame. the side bars must be flat all the way to rear window.I do 2 mods to all top frames now .I put a tianngle piece of 18 gauge metal at front corners an a piece of rod abot 6 inches long on each side at back once sides are straight.To fix the front I have made one out of two but must be fittet on the car it is fort.GORD>

jfriese

When putting on a new top here's a trick for getting it right. First, be sure that the top is centered at the back, center and front. If you don't get it centered right the door windows will hit the top when opening and closing the doors (with the windows up, of course).

The best tip ever though for installing a top is leave it a bit loose. Don't worry about getting the straps very taught either. Here's the tip. When your all done installing the top steam the top with a clothing steamer. With the top up, snaps installed and snapped, run the steamer along the underside of the top. Both the top and the straps will shrink to a snug fit that is just right. Nothing gets the rear corners completely ripple free but they never were snug in that area. I'm not sure if a small hand held streamer will work but the $50 variety with a wand on a hose works perfectly. I think you can rent these for the job which will only take you a few minutes.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Jackie

Hey John ~Thanks for that information about the convertible top.
Mine won't latch on the right hand side ( it came this way ). It just
seems too tight.
I will try steaming it...as soon as the snow melts and warmer weather comes
to Rochester NY area.
Spring is hopefully around the corner !!!
Thanks again John~
Jackie '66 Red Fairport, NY

**************It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on AOL Money &
Finance. (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)