can these be filled

Jon March

i got all my drive shafts together,new double lip seals...then i notice this upon closer inspection.

)these dont "feel: as bad as they look when you check them this close, but ,,,,,

Q: can i degrease and use something like a 2-part JB weld or clear polyester fiberglas resin, precision applied with a fresh single edge razor, to "blade" the filler into the tiny corrosion-recesses ..
..then sand nice & smooth - i think its all i have the heard for at this point !@#

I would think that would last awhile to reduce wear on the edges og the new trans seals...

Last edited:

jfriese

Jon,

None of your basically epoxy based ideas are anywhere near hard enough to hold up. Speedy-Sleeve's work great. I used them on a crankshaft and a wheel hub.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Jon March

I heard a comment today from a mechanic that I respect food sleeves worn parts on motors in his profession – – he was not very positive about the ability of the existing double lip seals to tolerate the additional thickness of a sleeve --hey said the better thing is to turn it down and then add a sleeve with it he sieve so that the finished result is the same thickness as the original shaft – – what has been your experience with seals been able to except this additional thickness?

jfriese

Jon,

Mine have worked fine for years. Like I told you a long time ago; ask a lot of people and get a lot of different answers. Rather than drive yourself even crazier, choose someone you trust and go with his answer. Then you might actually get your car running this summer. The way you're going at it, I'm not sure you'll ever get it in the water.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Jon March

Having missed my deadline for this summer, ive recalibrated and am cool with next year

in order to pick the best path, you need multiple choice!

And having missed this years deadline, i again have the time to research and learn- with the great input from all!

okey0

Jon, i started mine on fathers day in 2015 with a goal of 1 year. I still have gaping holes on my rear quarters. Goals and Life dont always mix well.