California amphibious stuff

D

David Chapman

<table style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" bgColor="#ffffff">
<font face="Arial" size="2">Thanks to the California Amphicar owners we met on our recent 3 week trip around the State, especially thanks to'poda for a very enjoyable splash on Miramar and to John Friese with his beautifully built and maintained red and white cars - two things I discovered there - I prefer the driving feel of radial tyres and the 1300 makes Amphicar a whole lot nicer to drive quickly, a Freise clutch came home in my suitcase ready for a 1300 conversion of one of my cars later this year. </font>
<font face="Arial" size="2"></font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">Of course no trip to Anaheim area is complete without visiting the world famous and most highly rated attraction that is the warehouse of Gordon Imports - a regular on my itinaryfor almost 20 years.We did go to Disneyland as well and decided we much preferedit to Florida Disney - especially as they are buildinga new attraction with the word amphibious in the description although I think it is going to be more under than on water !</font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">Not much Amphibious stuff up in Tahoe but I'm sure Amphicar would have perfomed better in the snow than some of the vehicles there. I couldn't finda pair of175 x 13 snowchains to bring home. </font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">Anyone going to San Francisco should know that there is a new DUKW based tour of the city and the bay. It is called Bayquackers.com and goes from Fishermans Wharf.We were there New Years Eve and it was just shutting until March but chatting to the guys they have had a good year and are adding more vehicles for 2007, even so it would be best to book.Also worth a look and hidden by the WW2 submarine near Pier 39 is a workingtwo man submarine made from a gas cylinder !</font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">Finally if you are going to the West Coast we found San Fran a much nicer airport in every way than LAX. Of courseall of our 8 suitcases were Xrayed and all the ones with Amphicar parts in had been opened by the US Government TSA as part of their Homeland Security stuff - they even partly dismantled the Friese clutch and Weber carb but put them back together reasonably well !</font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">If you are flying with Amphicar parts it is worth printing some picture cars and putting them in the cases so the TSA people can see what you have without needing to read, also most airlines in the last couple of years have reduced the max weight of each case from 70 to 50 pounds and everything is weighed so things like driveshafts now needa case each and the days of turning an Amphicar door into a suitcase sized package and bringing it across the Atlantic, as I did 10 years ago, are now history.</font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">Hope to be back in the US for Celina, </font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">David C in the UK. </font>
<font face="Arial"><font size="2"><font></font></font></font>

D

David Chapman

<table style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" bgColor="#ffffff">
<font face="Arial" size="2">Thanks to the California Amphicar owners we met on our recent 3 week trip around the State, especially thanks to'poda for a very enjoyable splash on Miramar and to John Friese with his beautifully built and maintained red and white cars - two things I discovered there - I prefer the driving feel of radial tyres and the 1300 makes Amphicar a whole lot nicer to drive quickly, a Freise clutch came home in my suitcase ready for a 1300 conversion of one of my cars later this year. </font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">Of course no trip to Anaheim area is complete without visiting the world famous and most highly rated attraction that is the warehouse of Gordon Imports - a regular on my itinaryfor almost 20 years.We did go to Disneyland as well and decided we much preferedit to Florida Disney - especially as they are buildinga new attraction with the word amphibious in the description although I think it is going to be more under than on water !</font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">Not much Amphibious stuff up in Tahoe but I'm sure Amphicar would have perfomed better in the snow than some of the vehicles there. I couldn't finda pair of175 x 13 snowchains to bring home. </font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">Anyone going to San Francisco should know that there is a new DUKW based tour of the city and the bay. It is called Bayquackers.com and goes from Fishermans Wharf.We were there New Years Eve and it was just shutting until March but chatting to the guys they have had a good year and are adding more vehicles for 2007, even so it would be best to book.Also worth a look and hidden by the WW2 submarine near Pier 39 is a workingtwo man submarine made from a gas cylinder !</font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">Finally if you are going to the West Coast we found San Fran a much nicer airport in every way than LAX. Of courseall of our 8 suitcases were Xrayed and all the ones with Amphicar parts in had been opened by the US Government TSA as part of their Homeland Security stuff - they even partly dismantled the Friese clutch and Weber carb but put them back together reasonably well !</font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">If you are flying with Amphicar parts it is worth printing some picture cars and putting them in the cases so the TSA people can see what you have without needing to read, also most airlines in the last couple of years have reduced the max weight of each case from 70 to 50 pounds and everything is weighed so things like driveshafts now needa case each and the days of turning an Amphicar door into a suitcase sized package and bringing it across the Atlantic, as I did 10 years ago, are now history.</font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">Hope to be back in the US for Celina, </font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">David C in the UK. </font>
<font face="Arial"><font size="2"><font></font></font></font>

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sdreich California License Plate AMPHICR General Amphicar Discussion 0
jfriese California Vanity Plate General Amphicar Discussion 2
DavidC Amphicar in Southern California this Sunday General Amphicar Discussion 0
W Hood emblem perfection - California look out! General Amphicar Discussion 2
A California DMV Code for registering Amphicars General Amphicar Discussion 0
A To the folks in California General Amphicar Discussion 1
E ANOTHER SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA TV TAPING General Amphicar Discussion 0
R Valparaiso, Indiana, not California General Amphicar Discussion 1
J Braving the Weather in California General Amphicar Discussion 0
D California Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 0
P Green amphi for sale in California General Amphicar Discussion 4
K California electric General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Amphibious cybertruck General Amphicar Discussion 0
V More Memories An Amphibious Camper i built... General Amphicar Discussion 2
mike_israel Soviet Amphibious Vehicle General Amphicar Discussion 1
LSolheim It's an Amphibious Party!! (no salamanders allowed) General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Inexpensive Amphibious Vehicle FS in CA General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Amphibious Army Vehicles Are Working As Taxis In Russia General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Amphibious Luxury RV General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Amphibious ATV on eBay General Amphicar Discussion 0
strandweiss62 SPIOS bad taste Amphibious vehicle on ebay General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Amphibious Jeep General Amphicar Discussion 1
mike_israel SeaLion Amphibious Vehicle General Amphicar Discussion 2
mike_israel New amphibious vehicles launched General Amphicar Discussion 1
mike_israel An amphibious trailer for your Amphicar. General Amphicar Discussion 3
Craig Parada Amphibious Ice Cream General Amphicar Discussion 1
R Prototype Amphibious Vehicle "Invader" General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel The Feds Sink Our amphibious Car Dreams General Amphicar Discussion 4
JoeS 2005 Ford F-150 AMPHIBIOUS VEHICLE, General Amphicar Discussion 1
Ed Price San Diego Amphibious Tour General Amphicar Discussion 0
sach Tuning the amphibious vehicle General Amphicar Discussion 7
Midwest Amphicar Ebay amphibious car almost Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Amphibious Bond Car Lotus Sells for $165k General Amphicar Discussion 1
Amphipoda Amphibious Extremo! General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Amphibious Submarine General Amphicar Discussion 8
A Now a new amphibious concept ... a submarine too! General Amphicar Discussion 1
E Amphibious Vehicle Design General Amphicar Discussion 0
L Amphibious Reads General Amphicar Discussion 1
M Amphibious Citroen ... General Amphicar Discussion 1
D Other Amphibious Vehivles Versus Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 1
P Once amphibious, always amphibious General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Wishing all a Happy Amphibious 4th of July Weekend General Amphicar Discussion 1
T Modern Amphibious car! General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Another interesting amphibious friend General Amphicar Discussion 0
D Amphibious TV General Amphicar Discussion 3
M Amphibious Valentines Flowers General Amphicar Discussion 1
G Fwd: FW: Amazing Carpenter (amphibious) General Amphicar Discussion 0
A amphibious chinese vehicles these are cool!!! General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Amphibious team effort General Amphicar Discussion 3
A An Amphibious Amphicar Bash in Ohio General Amphicar Discussion 0