Bow Light Paint

Greetings all,
My bow/nav light colors look pretty faded at night. So much that in the eyes of the law, it might not be legal. What kind of paint can be used to freshen it up? Is it as simple as using red and green spray paint?
Thanks for any input.

Brian Crombie
Faribault, Mn.

Cap'n John

Use candy apple red and green they are semi-transparent. Experiment on a clear piece of glass or plastic to get the right depth of color. Apply several light coats instead of a single heavy coat.

To: rma@amphicar.com
Subject: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20617] Bow Light Paint
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 13:14:28 -0500

Greetings all,
My bow/nav light colors look pretty faded at night. So much that in the eyes of the law, it might not be legal. What kind of paint can be used to freshen it up? Is it as simple as using red and green spray paint?
Thanks for any input.

Brian Crombie
Faribault, Mn.

Ken Chambers

Platinum Subscriber
An Amphicar friend recently sent me some pics of his front nav light he nicely restored using translucent Tamiya paint, available from hobby stores. He doesn't seem to be very active on this list but perhaps he'll see this and discuss his process further. I'll try attaching a couple pics of the finished lens he sent me.

Tamiya America - Tamiya Color Mini Acrylic

Ken Chambers, CA
'64 Red

Attachments

• Nav Light 20091021 003.jpg
    Nav Light 20091021 003.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Nav Light 20091004 145.jpg
    Nav Light 20091004 145.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 70

Ken Chambers

Platinum Subscriber
I have an email in to him but haven't heard the final report. Sure looks good in the pictures, however. Be sure to use a low wattage bulb to prevent heat damage to the cover. Somewhere I read 18W max so the following bulbs should work among others: 1141 (18W) or lower like a 93 (13W), 1003 (12W), 97 (9W) or 67 (8W).

---Ken

On Nov 15, 2009, at 4:55 PM, Brian Crombie wrote:

> Thanks guy's for the info. Ken, I wonder how the Tamiya looks at night lit up. Did your friend
> give you the thumbs up on how it illuminates?
>
> Brian

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
Brian - That paint is probably the candy paint I mentioned. It looks much the same. From the picture it looks light to me. If it is, I'd put another coat on that lens so the colors are more defined.

I have LED lighting in the nav light (no heat) and pole, inside the trunk illumination and red LEDs that illuminate my gages when nav lights are on. Combined they don't draw what the nav pole alone used to draw. I can sit for long periods of time with lights burning and not worry about my battery.

Craig_Parada

Gold Subscriber
Okay, Mike unscrambled whatever was wrong with my permissions!

I've posted a few photos as "Navigation Light Color Restoration" in "Amphicar Restorations. Projects, & Repairs".

This isn't as nice as a installing one of Hugh's new fittings, but before replacing the navigation light, I wanted to try restoring the color.

I used Tamiya Clear Red X-27 and Clear Green X-25. There's enough tint in each of these little bottles to repaint dozens of Amphicar navigation lights.

I brought my light into D&J Hobby here in San Jose where the paint is sold. The guy there has done custom cast plastics, and thought the new replacements were a great deal, but was happy to recommend the materials and provide the following advice for this experiment:
1. NEVER shake the paint! Use those little stainless steel stirring spoons.
2. CLEAN the surface thoroughly! Finger-prints or dust will show.
3. Use a SINGLE coat! I painted it on fairly thick and "rolled" the liquid around until it set to get an even cover. Additional coats dissolve what's already there and it all gets lumpy; but if you mess up, another coat will soften the first so you can clean up and restart (like I did).

It works! I haven't tested this solution under the blazing hot summer sun, but ran the lamp on for over five hours (longer than I've ever run the navigation light!) and the tint was unchanged.

Craig_Parada

Gold Subscriber
Re-tinted marine navigation light lit:

Attachments

• Lighted_Port.jpg
    Lighted_Port.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Lighted_Starboard.jpg
    Lighted_Starboard.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 46

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
...Apply several light coats instead of a single heavy coat.

When I said that I was thinking about spraying rather than pouring. Looks AWESOME! Have you attempted a second coat but after it cures for a day or 2? Maybe thinning it a bit to apply a thin 2nd coat by rolling ot around and pouring off the excess? If it works, it may give a darker tint. Just a thought. I'll have to try on a lens here sometime.

Canadian four amphs

Amphicar Expert
I have LED lighting in the nav light (no heat) and pole, inside the trunk illumination and red LEDs that illuminate my gages when nav lights are on. Combined they don't draw what the nav pole alone used to draw. I can sit for long periods of time with lights burning and not worry about my battery.[/quote]
See.thats what this forum is for,, great idea,I pigked up 2 pig tails LED at the Datonna Turkey run and put them in my car this week, great, also got some red leds and put them in the back ups, wired to turns...the more the merryer in traffic

GORD

Cap'n John

Gord, I did something similar a few years back, but I used the red LED bolts to fasten the licence plate. They act as a 3rd stop light and turn signals.

To: rma@amphicar.com
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20617] Re: Bow Light Paint
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 20:53:57 -0500

I have LED lighting in the nav light (no heat) and pole, inside the trunk illumination and red LEDs that illuminate my gages when nav lights are on. Combined they don't draw what the nav pole alone used to draw. I can sit for long periods of time with lights burning and not worry about my battery.[/quote]
See.thats what this forum is for,, great idea,I pigked up 2 pig tails LED at the Datonna Turkey run and put them in my car this week, great, also got some red leds and put them in the back ups, wired to turns...the more the merryer in traffic

GORD

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Back up light switch General Amphicar Discussion 4
azpaul50 Tail/Marker Light Differences General Amphicar Discussion 0
Akamphi Prop light question General Amphicar Discussion 2
Akamphi Pole light General Amphicar Discussion 2
Akamphi Backup light gaskets General Amphicar Discussion 1
jfriese Hand Brake Light & Switch General Amphicar Discussion 0
B Marine light General Amphicar Discussion 6
C Wiper/Marine light dash switch placement ques. General Amphicar Discussion 1
LNZCRFT Light Pole Internal Thread Size General Amphicar Discussion 1
T Light bulb for pole light for Dolores General Amphicar Discussion 13
C Nav light pole mounts General Amphicar Discussion 2
L Marine Pole Light Blowing Fuses General Amphicar Discussion 3
C Bow light General Amphicar Discussion 6
B A NEW Amphi has seen the light of day!! General Amphicar Discussion 3
J Pole light door seals General Amphicar Discussion 2
C New Member Intro "Cruiserdog" - Questions - Navigation Light Source General Amphicar Discussion 3
D nav light river cruise fifth swim General Amphicar Discussion 1
F Nav light General Amphicar Discussion 6
C Rear pole light General Amphicar Discussion 0
L "Foggy" Parking Light Lenses General Amphicar Discussion 2
A Light pole socket repairs General Amphicar Discussion 1
M Orignial Black Pole light Sockets General Amphicar Discussion 0
B Darkness and Light General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Head light Ground General Amphicar Discussion 2
D Light Pole General Amphicar Discussion 2
B Top light installation questions General Amphicar Discussion 1
M Pole light help needed General Amphicar Discussion 0
M Marine Light General Amphicar Discussion 6
D light on Erics car General Amphicar Discussion 0
P Missing Marine Light General Amphicar Discussion 10
A Head light trim needed General Amphicar Discussion 2
D Light on dashboard bilge pump switch General Amphicar Discussion 1
Jon March the ultimate Amphicar paint General Amphicar Discussion 0
Midwest Amphicar The Smell of Victory or paint or ............ General Amphicar Discussion 3
Akamphi White wheel paint code? General Amphicar Discussion 5
Ed Price Fjord Green Paint Code General Amphicar Discussion 3
W Fjord Green Paint General Amphicar Discussion 0
H paint code General Amphicar Discussion 8
Akamphi Finally in paint! General Amphicar Discussion 8
P Paint General Amphicar Discussion 18
Akamphi Paint codes General Amphicar Discussion 2
W Amphicar Paint Colors General Amphicar Discussion 6
W Paint General Amphicar Discussion 15
A hull protection coatings??---other than paint on the outside?? General Amphicar Discussion 5
K Engine compartment paint. General Amphicar Discussion 2
L Propeller Paint and Cleaning General Amphicar Discussion 3
M ebay Paint chips General Amphicar Discussion 0
C Underside hull paint and engine compartment paint General Amphicar Discussion 6
C Black under side paint General Amphicar Discussion 2
A Shrouds, glove boxes, paint, and new parts General Amphicar Discussion 1