Balance tube?

Randy Pond

While working on the car, I noticed a tube on the bottom of the intake manifold. It has an "S" shaped bend but it goes nowhere, it think it's a balance tube, is it supposed to be attached somewhere?

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
On the Harold the fuel from flooding would just spill on the road. On a AMPHICAR IT WILL SPILL IN THE BILAGE So I add a pc. of hose to it and route it back to an area higher than the carb. I also add a heat shield made from Stainless Steel.. The exhaust to head.. gasket , just went on this car so took some pics as I put it back together.

100_4654.JPG

100_4655.JPG

100_4656.JPG

Last edited:

LSolheim

On the Harold the fuel from flooding would just spill on the road. On a AMPHICAR IT WILL SPILL IN THE BILAGE So I add a pc. of hose to it and route it back to an area higher than the carb
With that "S"-shape just above the exhaust header pipe, doesn't any fuel just evaporate before spilling anywhere?

Mine drips fuel almost every time I shut it off after running it for awhile. I can hear the gas sizzle when it hits the hot exhaust J pipe. I should put on a hose to extend that pipe too. Its caused by carb getting too hot, fuel boiling in bowl and overflowing into intake manifold. Also causes hard re-starting due to flooding. Having an intake/ exhaust manifold as one cast iron part is absolutely stupid. If someone bent up some tubing into exhaust header so we could cut off the cast iron exhaust part of the stock manifold that would be a good start. The Disney fuel injection is another way to stop this problem!

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
note in the pics I added above the rag bellow in the bilge.. now any thing you drop will be on the rag, not under the motor.

Jon March

Im still unclear about how to terminate the open ended "s" tube to prevent excess fuel from spilling out of is - Gord - you mention that you attach a rubber hose, but where do you route it and where exactly does it connect to?

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Into the air intake hose, then fumes are drawn back in to motor and burned. Just like a PCV valve burns crankcase fumes.

Jon March

Gord - (Im going to also post this in a new thread) Im imagining one would need a fitting of some kind to attach the return-hose you recommend to the air-intake hose...ideally, with an L or J shaped elbow inside the air intake, with the opening toward the carb, to help "draw" the vapors or fuel in) -
does this coincide with what you recommend? / mabe post a pic of it?

OR - for those with later cars that have the 3/8" oil-vapor/"PCV" intake tube at the bottom of the aircleaner mount, could this fuel-boilover-return be Y'd into it?? - or is that a bad idea to introduce a way for fuel vapor into the valve area?