Anchors Aweigh!

• Thread starter Daniel & Kathy Gibson
  • Start date
D

Daniel & Kathy Gibson

Anyone have an anchor on their Amphi? Where is it mounted to the car?
Did the factory have any recommendations? I think I want to hook one up.
Maybe some cleats as well.

Thanks
Dan
'64 Das Boot

W

WB6WSN

<table style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font>

<blockquote style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><font face="Tahoma" size="2">From: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Daniel & Kathy Gibson
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 2:19 PM
To: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [amphicar-lovers] Anchors Aweigh!
</font><span class="361400304-25072006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font></span><span class="361400304-25072006">
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" id="ygrp-text" dir="ltr" align="left">

Anyone have an anchor on their Amphi? Where is it mounted to the car?
Did the factory have any recommendations? I think I want to hook one up.
Maybe some cleats as well.

Thanks
Dan
'64 Das Boot

<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"></blockquote>

W

WB6WSN

<table style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff">
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><font face="Tahoma" size="2">From: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of WB6WSN
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 9:36 PM
To: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [amphicar-lovers] Anchors Aweigh!<span class="265091608-25072006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font></span></font>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><font face="Tahoma" size="2"><span class="265091608-25072006"></span></font>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><font face="Tahoma" size="2"><span class="265091608-25072006">Reposted due to Yahoo clipping.</span></font>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><font face="Tahoma" size="2"><span class="265091608-25072006"></span></font>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><font face="Tahoma" size="2"><span class="265091608-25072006"><span class="361400304-25072006"><font face="Times New Roman" color="#0000ff" size="4">There's a lot more to anchoring than just tossing the anchor overboard. Some factors are:</font></span><span class="361400304-25072006"></span>

1. <div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" align="left"><span class="361400304-25072006"></span><font color="#0000ff"><font size="4">T<span class="361400304-25072006"><font face="Century Schoolbook">he depth of the water; you should have at least twice the length of line as the expected depth.</font></span></font></font>

2. <div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" align="left"><font color="#0000ff"><font size="4"><span class="361400304-25072006"><font face="Century Schoolbook">The bottom conditions; mud, sand, rock or debris (not a smart place to anchor).</font></span></font></font>

3. <div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" align="left"><font color="#0000ff"><font size="4"><span class="361400304-25072006"><font face="Century Schoolbook">Wind, wave & current conditions.</font></span></font></font>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><font color="#0000ff"><font size="4"><span class="361400304-25072006"><font face="Century Schoolbook">A typical Amphi anchoring might be for a couple of hours in a small lake or river. Likely almost no wind, and only a couple of knots current flow. All you need is one of those little mushroom anchors. They're nice, because they are resistant to fouling, and they provide enough hold for an Amphi. If you need anything more than that, you shouldn't be there! Anyway, anchoring is not guaranteed; the watch always has to check for signs of dragging.</font></span></font></font><font color="#0000ff"><font face="Century Schoolbook" size="4"><span class="361400304-25072006"></span></font></font>
<font color="#0000ff"><font face="Century Schoolbook" size="4"><span class="361400304-25072006"></span></font></font>
<font color="#0000ff"><font face="Century Schoolbook" size="4"><span class="361400304-25072006">As for an anchor line attachment point; Amphi's don't really have one. I have seen some marine cleats attached to the front fender tops. That's handy, but not too structurally sound. It may not rip out, but you can get some interesting sheet-metal waviness. Another thing to worry about is line chaffing. As you sit there at anchor. the Amphi will always be slightly moving, up & down, back & forth. This gives the line a great opportunity to leave a rub mark in your paint job.</span></font></font>
<font color="#0000ff"><font face="Century Schoolbook" size="4"><span class="361400304-25072006"></span></font></font>
<font color="#0000ff"><font face="Century Schoolbook" size="4"><span class="361400304-25072006">OK, so much for negativity. You wanted a suggestion, so here goes; minimally intrusive yet decent. Get about 100 feet of 3/8" nylon line. Cut off a 20' length. Now splice the line into a "Y" shape (use good technique for merging the line; buy a copy of Chapmans). Now, attach the anchor to the long leg of the"Y" line. Before you go in the water, securely attach the other end of that line to your tow post under the front bumper. Lead the line up over your front bumper and into the passenger compartment.</span></font></font>
<font color="#0000ff"><font face="Century Schoolbook" size="4"><span class="361400304-25072006">When it is time to anchor, just lower the anchor overboard, letting it pay out to the end. By the time the anchor line is pulling against the tow post, you will still have plenty of the third branch of the "Y" in the compartment. The Amphi will ride straight into the current or wind, and be reasonably stable. There will be no line chaffing problems.</span></font></font>
<font color="#0000ff"><font face="Century Schoolbook" size="4"><span class="361400304-25072006">When it comes time to weigh anchor, just use theinside line to pullin the main anchor line. Be careful not to foul your bumper or front tire. Then, just haul in the entire anchor line and anchor. Don't forget to rinse the whole thing on the way up, unless you want to study the bottom contents.</span></font></font>
<font color="#0000ff"><font face="Century Schoolbook" size="4"><span class="361400304-25072006">On the whole, I think anchoring is a pain in the butt.</span></font>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><span class="361400304-25072006"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font></span>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><span class="361400304-25072006"></span>

<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">Ed Price</font>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">El Cajon, CA USA</font>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4">67 Rust Guppy</font>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><font color="#0000ff" size="4"></font><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#ff0000" size="4"></font></font><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4"></font></span></font>
</blockquote></blockquote>

R

rlgreen_55

Ed stated the best way to secure an anchor by using the front tow
hook, though in calm waters I have a decent cleat on the rear trunk
that works.

Depending on where you live and have to swim amphi you may have a dam
close by, and when dealing with a river they can be dangerous. I
never carried an anchor until I ran into a mechanical issue and the
engine shut off. Unable to restart I found myself and amphi heading
towards a dam and the closer we got the faster we went. As luck would
have it a pontoon boat came to the rescue and threw me a line or I
would have probably hit or went over the dam.

Once he pulled me to shore he asked why I didn't throw my anchor out
of which I didn't have, and proceeded to buy the following day. As Ed
stated there are varying anchors verses weights, length if line, etc.
I use a medium size dual point flat anchor that just fits under the
front seat and have used it a few times when we go to a island. It
seems to grab hold pretty good though to be safe you should check on
it occasionally.

Off to Celina tonight, can't wait.

Ron Green
Camp Hill, PA.

--- In amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com, "WB6WSN" <wb6wsn@...> wrote:
>
>
>
>
> From: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Daniel &
Kathy Gibson
> Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 2:19 PM
> To: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [amphicar-lovers] Anchors Aweigh!
>
>
>
> Anyone have an anchor on their Amphi? Where is it mounted to the
car?
> Did the factory have any recommendations? I think I want to hook
one up.
> Maybe some cleats as well.
>
> Thanks
> Dan
> '64 Das Boot
>
>
>
>
> There's a lot more to anchoring than just tossing the anchor
overboard. Some
> factors are:
>
>
> 1.
>
> The depth of the water; you should have at least twice the
length of
> line as the expected depth.
> 2.
>
> The bottom conditions; mud, sand, rock or debris (not a smart
place
> to anchor).
> 3.
>
> Wind, wave & current conditions.
>
> A typical Amphi anchoring might be for a couple of hours in a small
lake or
> river. Likely almost no wind, and only a couple of knots current
flow. All
> you need is one of those little mushroom anchors. They're nice,
because they
> are resistant to fouling, and they provide enough hold for an
Amphi. If you
> need anything more than that, you shouldn't be there! Anyway,
anchoring is
> not guaranteed; the watch always has to check for signs of dragging.
>
>
>
> As for an anchor line attachment point; Amphi's don't really have
one. I
> have seen some marine cleats attached to the front fender tops.
That's
> handy, but not too structurally sound. It may not rip out, but you
can get
> some interesting sheet-metal waviness. Another thing to worry about
is line
> chaffing. As you sit there at anchor. the Amphi will always be
slightly
> moving, up & down, back & forth. This gives the line a great
opportunity to
> leave a rub mark in your paint job.
>
> OK, so much for negativity. You wanted a suggestion, so here goes;
minimally
> intrusive yet decent. Get about 100 feet of 3/8" nylon line. Cut
off a 20'
> length. Now splice the line into a "Y" shape (use good technique
for merging
> the line; buy a copy of Chapmans). Now, attach the anchor to the
long leg of
> the "Y" line. Before you go in the water, securely attach the other
end of
> that line to your tow post under the front bumper. Lead the line up
over
> your front bumper and into the passenger compartment.
>
> When it is time to anchor, just lower the anchor overboard, letting
it pay
> out to the end. By the time the anchor line is pulling against the
tow post,
> you will still have plenty of the third branch of the "Y" in the
> compartment. The Amphi will ride straight into the current or wind,
and be
> reasonably stable. There will be no line chaffing problems.
>
> When it comes time to weigh anchor, just use the inside line to
pull in the
> main anchor line. Be careful not to foul your bumper or front tire.
Then,
> just haul in the entire anchor line and anchor. Don't forget to
rinse the
> whole thing on the way up, unless you want to study the bottom
contents.
>
> On the whole, I think anchoring is a pain in the butt.
>
>
>
> Ed Price
> El Cajon, CA USA
> 67 Rust Guppy
>