Amphicar resurrection list, I need some advice

Tommy in Tampa

Amphicar Expert
I think I have found my dream Amphicar. Still has its 1977 auto tag still on the car.
It it is a 1967 with only has 550 miles. It has been covered in a garage for 32 years. I intend to use the car and drive it to most shows some are almost 100 miles away.
So I need to make a list of all the things I need to service, adjust or replace.
I will make a list here and I will add to it as your suggestions are posted.
Some needs are well documented like the need to replace the fuel line, but do I need to replace the four rubber brake lines and if the wheel cylinders move and are not leaking do I still need to rebuild them? The master cylinder?
And what about grease seals and double lip seals? Then there is the transmission output shaft seal. And the rubber covers on the drive shafts? Oh God ....

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and contributions. Tommy in Tampa

Amphicar resurrection list,
THINGS THAT MUST BE REPLACED
1)Fuel line
2)oil in water transmission
3)oil in land transmission
4)motor oil, filter
5)air filter
6)coolant
7)oil cooler lines
8)install steering box brace
9)double lip seals
10)drive shaft boots
11)steering gear lube
12) fuel pump diaphragm
13) points, condenser, rotor
14) Spark plugs
15) plug wire
16) 4 - rubber brake lines

THINGS NEEDING SERVICEING / REBUILDING
1)Grease everything including
shifter, window regulators,
speedometer cable, foot peddles
2)rebuild wheel cylinders
3)rebuild master cylinder
4)flush radiator / heater
5)flush fuel tank
6)rebuild carburetor

Attachments

• amphicar '67 blue 1.jpg
    amphicar '67 blue 1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 74
R

Ron Green

I would at least hone out the brake cylinders and put new cups in as they are cheap. I would also check the radiator and heater core for gunk, change the steering gear lube, oil / grease all including window regulators, door hinges, etc.

The double lip seals may work for a while but I bet it won't be too long before you have water in the tranny. Since your changing the tranny fluid might as well replace the seals.

Sounds like a lot of work, better sell it to me. :)

kdroy

Great find Tommy!!!
It's good to see there's still a few garage finds out there.
Ken Roy

LAH20CAR

Amazing that you guys can still find cars like this--------
must be sigh-ca-dell-ic

Anyway on mine, that sat for many years, the fuel tank was a big mess, about two inches of crapola on the bottom and rust on the upper surfaces---no leaks.
When they sit with not much fuel, the bare metal rust and falls in, take it out of car and clean it out, then put in about a quart of ball bearing about 1/4
inch in size, available from bearing store, get Lynne to shake it around for a few minutes each hour for about two days, flush out with hose and rinse with gas, if you really want to get all the little hard to get places, use some muratic acid like they use to clean concrete, do this outside, wear rubber gloves, eye protection and be careful:002:-----------
rinse out several times with water then gas again.
Take the valve out before you do anything.

Carburator, clean out, put in new accelerator pump rubber part, and that little o ring under the J tube

New fuel pump

Brakes,--- do everything that is rubber, plus flush the entire system out several times, those little vacum bleeders work well for this, but if all is off,
compressed air works but is messy.

Diffinately, do those double lip seals on the tranny

If you want to replace those rubber drive shaft boots, please send certified check for 12k for first two, price drops quickly for the next set-------
which would be mine:D

Now that you have this car, it will take all your time, so to help you out,
I will take a couple of those old fibergalss boats off your hands---like that Scimitar and the Fishy one with those ugly fins:D

Congradulations---------

Tommy in Tampa

Amphicar Expert
Thanks Ron that's a good start.
I gotta feeling there may be a couple more things to add to the list. Comeon everyone add to the list.
Oh, and Ron and if I get in over my head I'll let you know. :)

Thanks everyone but I think there is still more to add. a lot more.

LAH20CAR

Big troubles can occur

I did say it was messy----but how did you know about the big trouble:dft012:

Actually need to do the air after draining system----- or not at all, if its not obstructed

Tommy in Tampa

Amphicar Expert
OK everyone they are picking up the Amphicar today and it will arrive here in Florida Friday or Saturday.
I STILL NEED SUGESTIONS. Please help me bring this car back to life.

Amphicar resurrection list,
THINGS THAT MUST BE REPLACED
1)Fuel line
2)oil in water transmission
3)oil in land transmission
4)motor oil, filter
5)air filter
6)coolant
7)oil cooler lines
8)install steering box brace
9)double lip seals
10)drive shaft boots
11)steering gear lube
12) fuel pump diaphragm
13) points, condenser, rotor
14) Spark plugs
15) plug wires
16) 4 - rubber brake lines

THINGS NEEDING SERVICEING / REBUILDING
1)Grease everything including
shifter, window regulators,
speedometer cable, foot peddles
2)rebuild wheel cylinders
3)rebuild master cylinder
4)flush radiator / heater
5)flush fuel tank
6)rebuild carburetor

Attachments

• amphicar new blue #1.jpg
    amphicar new blue #1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 64
  • amphicar new blue #2.jpg
    amphicar new blue #2.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 62

PeterP

In my car, the rubber diaphragm on the fuel pump was shot. Maybe worth checking.

Is it worth changing the thermostat and the distributor points while you are doing all the rest of that work?

jfriese

Hello Tommy,

Nice looking ride alright. I see it has a black interior and I think I'm seeing chrome on the windows, both of which say "late car" but I don't see any "lips". Don't all the late cars have lips? Do you know if it has a fender mounted heater? Those rear bumpers also look to be the early type. I wonder if it might be an example of an early car that was sold and thus titled as a late car.

John

Tommy in Tampa

Amphicar Expert
Hi Peter and thanks, Amphi Pervert also suggested the rubber diaphragm on the fuel pump maybe worth checking. So that goes on the list.

You also asked if it is worth changing the thermostat and the distributor points while we are doing all the rest of that work. Yep I bet it is and I think I will through in a rotor too.
Thanks again

Tommy in Tampa

Amphicar Expert
Hi John, Yes it does have lips, just cant see them in the photo, chrome windows and fender heater. But it also has clear turn signel lens.
I will get it here Friday and take some good pictuers then.

Attachments

• amphicar new blue #3.jpg
    amphicar new blue #3.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 41
  • amphicar new blue #4.jpg
    amphicar new blue #4.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 40
Tommy,
I didn't see rubber brake lines on your list. With 550 miles, you may or may not need to replace them. However, after sitting for 32 years, I would consider new ones.
I brought my old ones to NAPA auto two years ago and was pleased to find that they were on the shelf. I think I payed about $22.00 each.
Also when you replace your rotor, don't forget the extra one for the glove box!

Have fun!

Brian Crombie
Faribault, Mn.

Tommy in Tampa

Amphicar Expert
Tommy,
I didn't see rubber brake lines on your list. With 550 miles, you may or may not need to replace them. However, after sitting for 32 years, I would consider new ones.
Also when you replace your rotor, don't forget the extra one for the glove box!

Brian Crombie

Hi ya Brian, That's a great suggestion they are on the list now.
Howyadoin ?

PeterP

I actually ditched the points altogether and put a Pertronix igniter in mine. Whenever I get the engine back in the car, I'll let you know how that worked out. I actually do need a new rotor-apparently there is a British supplier that makes high quality parts? There was some discussion on the list a while back, but it's been a while.

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
I have a replacement speedometer that has low miles too. I think someone is telling a fish story. Later Dave the Wave-Hey Tommy stop on in when heading to Canada. Later Dave the Wave