Amphicar Insurance

auburnamphi

Now that my car is road/water ready,I need to find an insurance company.
I have gotten a quote from Hagerty's,What kind of coverage do you reconmend,what value should I put on it?My car is a 1964.Or should I just get regular car insurance??
Let me know what is the best thing to do.
I mainly do local driving,and trailer it to car shows.
Thanks In advance
Steve
1964 Red Amphicar

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
Hagerty will be cheaper and better than regular insurance. Hagerty provides an "agreed value" policy as opposed to "book value" and it will also be covered in the water even if you sink it. If it has just completed a restoration I would insure it for no less than $60k.

It is really a no-brainer. Go with Hagerty.

azpaul50

I use Grundy Worldwide and recently added the Amphi to my annual policy that now adds up to 7 collector vehicles. I also use Agreed Value to determine my own rates. My total AGV is well above $100,000 for everything and (now) costs me about $780 per year for full coverage. That is only slight more annually than I pay on my 2002 Harley Road King alone! Special collector insurance (even with just 1 vehicle) based on AGV is definitely the way to go. Some years ago they had restrictions on mileage and use (only for shows etc.) and all that has disappeared giving equal or better coverage than your newer, regular family bus!

azpaul50

oh... but remember than cost is also relative to location. Those dang snowbirds come down here from Canada, U.S. mid- and northwest (85,000 of them in February) and crash into everyone and everything with those RVs! Add the daily chases between our Mexican drug runners and illegals, it really is a hectic driving environment for insurance. Mexico is only 13 miles from me....

Check with Grundy to make sure they will cover your Amphicar in the water AS WELL AS on land. I remember 2 years ago when I was getting quotes NO-ONE would cover the Amphciar in both land AND water except Hagerty. Back when I was getting quotes Grundy would only cover on land.

Yes, prices as well as what each company will cover depends on what state you live in. Make sure you cover the Amphicar for what YOU feel it's worth. Remember, replacement value is always going up each year. Good luck in your search. Ina in the Boro
----- Original Message -----
To: ribcab@verizon.net
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2008 5:52 PM
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20154] Re: Amphicar Insurance

I use Grundy Worldwide and recently added the Amphi to my annual policy that now adds up to 7 collector vehicles. I also use Agreed Value to determine my own rates. My total AGV is well above $100,000 for everything and (now) costs me about $780 per year for full coverage. That is only slight more annually than I pay on my 2002 Harley Road King alone! Special collector insurance (even with just 1 vehicle) based on AGV is definitely the way to go. Some years ago they had restrictions on mileage and use (only for shows etc.) and all that has disappeared giving equal or better coverage than your newer, regular family bus!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
Version: 8.0.169 / Virus Database: 270.6.19/1659 - Release Date: 9/8/2008 7:01 AM

hadleyohlinger

I'm what you are calling a dang snowbind. Don't need that kind of attitude.
Hadley

--- On Mon, 9/8/08, azpaul50 <> wrote:

To: hadleyohlinger@yahoo.ca
Received: Monday, September 8, 2008, 2:57 PM

oh... but remember than cost is also relative to location. Those dang snowbirds come down here from Canada, U.S. mid- and northwest (85,000 of them in February) and crash into everyone and everything with those RVs! Add the daily chases between our Mexican drug runners and illegals, it really is a hectic driving environment for insurance. Mexico is only 13 miles from me....

Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail. Click on Options in Mail and switch to New Mail today or register for free at http://mail.yahoo.ca

azpaul50

Sorry... but I'm not on this earth to cater to your needs... that stupid expection is what makes YOU and those snowbirds "danged." You simply prove my point.

To: azpaul50@hotmail.comSubject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20154] Re: Amphicar InsuranceDate: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 20:46:22 -0400From:

I'm what you are calling a dang snowbind. Don't need that kind of attitude.Hadley--- On Mon, 9/8/08, azpaul50 <> wrote:From: azpaul50 <>Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20154] Re: Amphicar InsuranceTo: hadleyohlinger@yahoo.caReceived: Monday, September 8, 2008, 2:57 PMoh... but remember than cost is also relative to location. Those dang snowbirds come down here from Canada, U.S. mid- and northwest (85,000 of them in February) and crash into everyone and everything with those RVs! Add the daily chases between our Mexican drug runners and illegals, it really is a hectic driving environment for insurance. Mexico is only 13 miles from me....__________________________________________________ ________________Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail. Click on Options in Mail and switch to New Mail today or register for free at http://mail.yahoo.ca

hadleyohlinger

Don't show your colors. I have no wants or needs from anyone.

--- On Mon, 9/8/08, azpaul50 <> wrote:

To: hadleyohlinger@yahoo.ca
Received: Monday, September 8, 2008, 6:46 PM

Sorry... but I'm not on this earth to cater to your needs... that stupid expection is what makes YOU and those snowbirds "danged." You simply prove my point.

To: azpaul50@hotmail.comSubject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20154] Re: Amphicar InsuranceDate: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 20:46:22 -0400From:

I'm what you are calling a dang snowbind. Don't need that kind of attitude.Hadley--- On Mon, 9/8/08, azpaul50 <> wrote:From: azpaul50 <>Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20154] Re: Amphicar InsuranceTo: hadleyohlinger@yahoo.caReceived: Monday, September 8, 2008, 2:57 PMoh... but remember than cost is also relative to location. Those dang snowbirds come down here from Canada, U.S. mid- and northwest (85,000 of them in February) and crash into everyone and everything with those RVs! Add the daily chases between our Mexican drug runners and illegals, it really is a hectic driving environment for insurance. Mexico is only 13 miles from me....____________________________________________ ______ ________________Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail. Click on Options in Mail and switch to New Mail today or register for free at http://mail.yahoo.ca

__________________________________________________ _______________
See how Windows Mobile brings your life together—at home, work, or on the go.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/msnnkwxp...mrt/direct/01/

Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail. Click on Options in Mail and switch to New Mail today or register for free at http://mail.yahoo.ca

PeterP

Hey, we like anybody with an Amphicar here (and most people without them). I personally am winter domicile location agnostic.

azpaul50

*lol* If you don't see it, you definitely can't conceive it or believe it. *lol*... a definite benefit of an agnostic outlook!

To: azpaul50@hotmail.comSubject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20154] Re: Amphicar InsuranceDate: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 23:48:48 -0400From:

Hey, we like anybody with an Amphicar here (and most people without them). I personally am winter domicile location agnostic.

DavidC

Amphicar Expert
"I personally am winter domicile location agnostic."

Fabulous use of "our" language !

That one is now on my noticeboard !

David C

carnut1113

I definitely had a rejection from Grundy for the Amphi in the H2O. Hagerty requires a separate Marine policy but at least it's covered on the H20.
Jim

--- On Mon, 9/8/08, inaintheboro <> wrote:

To: carnut1113@yahoo.com
Date: Monday, September 8, 2008, 7:39 PM

Check with Grundy to make sure they will cover your Amphicar in the water AS WELL AS on land. I remember 2 years ago when I was getting quotes NO-ONE would cover the Amphciar in both land AND water except Hagerty. Back when I was getting quotes Grundy would only cover on land.

Yes, prices as well as what each company will cover depends on what state you live in. Make sure you cover the Amphicar for what YOU feel it's worth. Remember, replacement value is always going up each year. Good luck in your search. Ina in the Boro
----- Original Message -----
To: ribcab@verizon.net
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2008 5:52 PM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
Version: 8.0.169 / Virus Database: 270.6.19/1659 - Release Date: 9/8/2008 7:01 AM

azpaul50

I recently added my 2nd Amphi to my Grundy Woldwide policy (the 9th addition), and asked for a definite answer as to whether I was insured in the water or not. After being passed off to an underwriter, I was definitely told that I WAS. I then inquired if this coverage was an additional cost to the coverage I normally keep on my other collectables. The answer was "no." So, it appears that Grundy and Hagerty now both provide water-borne coverage. - azpaul50

jfriese

I've had my Amphicars covered by a "stated value" policy with State Farm for years. I talked to both my local agent and a company underwriter and was told they would be covered on land or water. He amusingly said "if it sinks we'll just treat it as if you drove off a bridge."

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

chasgould

I would strongly suggest getting a letter or endorsement or other worting to document what you were told, cuz that phone call will have no effect whatsoever if you have a claim, or you can ask him to point out the inclusionary language in the actual policy.
Chas

I recently added my 2nd Amphi to my Grundy Woldwide policy (the 9th addition), and asked for a definite answer as to whether I was insured in the water or not. After being passed off to an underwriter, I was definitely told that I WAS. I then inquired if this coverage was an additional cost to the coverage I normally keep on my other collectables. The answer was "no." So, it appears that Grundy and Hagerty now both provide water-borne coverage. - azpaul50

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
Ditto what Chas said.

Get in writing as Hagerty does. Anything else is just the opinion of a call center rep.

I can only speak from experience having once made a "water related claim". Hagerty was great to deal with, no cutting corners, they insisted that if I thought something may have been damaged in the water that I replace it.

DavidC

Amphicar Expert
I do some work for a couple of International insurers and so have discussed this in detail with people who know.

Conclusion - I wouldn't get too hung up about water insurance.
The important thing is not to sink.
Whatever your documentation says it's unlikely an insurer such as Hagerty would ever pay if an Amphicar sunk due to weather/conditions/mechanical failure.
If it sunk due to damage by a third party and so there is potential for recovery then your insurers might decide to pursue a claim - in the same way as they would if someone drove into your ordinary car when it was parked on the dockside and pushed it in to the water.

It may be worth having a marine salvage policy in case you were to sink an Amphicar in deep water because salvage is often mandatory due to polution concerns and could be expensive.

If it went to law first words from your insurer would likely be:

"What we mean by water cover is a situation where your car might fall off a ferry - not a situation where you willfully DROVE your antique car it in to the water"

Think of the motives not to pay - a potential $50K plus claim against premiums from at max a few hundred Amphicar owners.

The answers is make sure it doesn't happen.
1. Repair the body properly
2. Fit water alarms (the smoke alarm think is detailed somewhere on amphicars.com)
3. At least 2 bilge pumps.
4. Don't take risks in water you don't know.

David C