Amphicar door installation

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
I'm having trouble aligning my doors after painting and was hoping someone had some advice. I installed both doors with shims in original locations but I still have problem with each door. Passenger door sticks out about 1/4" at lower rear corner while other corners appear properly aligned!!!! Driver's door sticks out over 1/4" at upper rear corner while other 3 corners appear properly aligned!!!!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ted

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
I'm having trouble aligning my doors after painting and was hoping someone had some advice. I installed both doors with shims in original locations but I still have problem with each door. Passenger door sticks out about 1/4" at lower rear corner while other corners appear properly aligned!!!! Driver's door sticks out over 1/4" at upper rear corner while other 3 corners appear properly aligned!!!!
Thanks,
Ted

Sounds like your bodyshop has some free re-work to do. Appears the doors were not mocked up (test fit) on the car during repairs before paint. They have a twist in them that will need to addressed before installation. I have managed to take out some twist but I really dont reccomend my method unless you have done body work before. You won't be able to adjust this problem out, the doors are twisted and will need re-worked to fit.

That is the same thing that happend to me? took the doors to the body shop with out

the car and when i put the doors on the car the bottoms stuck out a half inch!!

I reworked one door but it was so much work i just left the other door alone and used a

bigger seal. Good luck Paul from Albany NY.

To: pvcj@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20424] Re: Amphicar door installation
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 11:51:59 -0400

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tedredamphi
Thanks,
TedSounds like your bodyshop has some free re-work to do. Appears the doors were not mocked up (test fit) on the car during repairs before paint. They have a twist in them that will need to addressed before installation. I have managed to take out some twist but I really dont reccomend my method unless you have done body work before. You won't be able to adjust this problem out, the doors are twisted and will need re-worked to fit.

Canadian four amphs

Amphicar Expert
This subject has been on the lovers before,, Same reason, As John said.

DOORS MUST BE BUILT UP ON THE CAR!

on the car that they belong, there is even differences form car to car, these were not made on a standard assembly line but more of a one one one process.
GORD.

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
My driver's side door and opening had no work at all done on them by my body shop so I can't figure out why that door doesn't fit. The passenger door just had a new fiberglass skin installed and it fits fairly good. Guess I'll have to kick my bodyman's butt - ME!!!
Later,
Ted

Question...is the rear part of the Amphicar doors supposed to be out a little for normal land driving, and then come in and align with the body perfectly when the lower water locks are latched?

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
Question...is the rear part of the Amphicar doors supposed to be out a little for normal land driving, and then come in and align with the body perfectly when the lower water locks are latched?

No, the door should be snug either way. The door locks are not designed to pull it tighter as commonly thought, they are only intended to avoid accidental opening of the doors while swimming.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Amphicar Door Repairs General Amphicar Discussion 0
J 1967 Amphicar Tub Toy Restorations in progress 3
DougFromBaltimore Amphicar - Servicing Rear Brakes without removing hubs and tip for attaching springs General Amphicar Discussion 9
S Rear Amphicar Shocks w/Small Diameter Spring - Rear Spring Specs? General Amphicar Discussion 2
mike_israel The only car I consider to be way cooler than the Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 2
T Parting ways with my 64 Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 0
AmazingOne Restored 1964 Amphicar for sale General Amphicar Discussion 0
chapron67 Wanted to buy: Nice, useable Amphicar. General Amphicar Discussion 3
mike_israel Annual costs of maintaining an Amphicar (Forum) ... General Amphicar Discussion 10
Jon March lot #012 - The next big Amphicar auction: end of This week! - lot #012 General Amphicar Discussion 4
strandweiss62 RHD Amphicar sold at Mecum General Amphicar Discussion 2
C Amphicar with Buick V6! General Amphicar Discussion 4
DavidC Amphicar club gift. General Amphicar Discussion 3
Andreas Gomoll „The Uganda-Amphicar“ - Brakeparts needed... General Amphicar Discussion 0
Latitude33 Amphicar cover General Amphicar Discussion 4
Andreas Gomoll ... my Amphicar has some specials.... Restorations in progress 2
B Amphicar Tow Bar General Amphicar Discussion 0
DavidC Anyone interested in the ultimate Amphicar muffler project ? General Amphicar Discussion 9
B Celina Amphicar Record General Amphicar Discussion 3
T Amphicar Furniture General Amphicar Discussion 6
mike_israel Amphicar Hawaiian Shirts - Order Deadline Approaching General Amphicar Discussion 0
Jon March the 3 different Amphicar factory driveshafts General Amphicar Discussion 2
W Having trouble finding outer boots for my Amphicar with Eddie Dillard rear axles. General Amphicar Discussion 12
sdreich Amphicar Transmissions General Amphicar Discussion 12
L long distance moves for Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 6
sdreich Amphicar Hubcaps on eBay and More General Amphicar Discussion 4
LSolheim 2018 Clearlake Seaplane - Amphicar: Fly & Swim-in General Amphicar Discussion 0
Jon March Amphicar chase-scenes General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel New Search Engine on Amphicar Forums General Amphicar Discussion 2
jfriese More Original Amphicar Horns General Amphicar Discussion 1
Midwest Amphicar Central Florida Amphicar Swim In General Amphicar Discussion 4
E Amphicar floor General Amphicar Discussion 1
Jon March GREAT Amphicar footage from the hot new Northeast "Naples Swim" General Amphicar Discussion 0
scottamphi What Pertronix Fit My Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 6
Jacques B. Help needed with Amphicar Water trans gears. General Amphicar Discussion 2
mike_israel Amphicar Forum - System Update Underway General Amphicar Discussion 1
E New Amphicar Tech General Amphicar Discussion 1
mike_israel Merry Christmas & Joy to the Amphicar World General Amphicar Discussion 1
BlueFin Scam Amphicar Ad General Amphicar Discussion 11
Jon March the ultimate Amphicar paint General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel New Amphicar Children's Book General Amphicar Discussion 4
mike_israel Amphicar on Jay Leno's Garage General Amphicar Discussion 9
mike_israel 1921 Auto-Boat: Floating along 40 years earlier than the Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 1
B Amphicar Fuses?? General Amphicar Discussion 2
Jon March Sun June 7 - "worlds fair edition" Amphicar?! General Amphicar Discussion 2
mike_israel New Walt Disney World Restaurant Offers Amphicar Rides General Amphicar Discussion 42
mike_israel Do you think this part will fit an Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 2
dutchamphi Inspector Clouseau-Amphicar episode 1968 General Amphicar Discussion 6
auburnamphi Amphicar Owners In Georgia General Amphicar Discussion 2
C Amphicar article in Maine Magazine General Amphicar Discussion 1