Amphicar door installation

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
I'm having trouble aligning my doors after painting and was hoping someone had some advice. I installed both doors with shims in original locations but I still have problem with each door. Passenger door sticks out about 1/4" at lower rear corner while other corners appear properly aligned!!!! Driver's door sticks out over 1/4" at upper rear corner while other 3 corners appear properly aligned!!!!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ted

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
I'm having trouble aligning my doors after painting and was hoping someone had some advice. I installed both doors with shims in original locations but I still have problem with each door. Passenger door sticks out about 1/4" at lower rear corner while other corners appear properly aligned!!!! Driver's door sticks out over 1/4" at upper rear corner while other 3 corners appear properly aligned!!!!
Thanks,
Ted

Sounds like your bodyshop has some free re-work to do. Appears the doors were not mocked up (test fit) on the car during repairs before paint. They have a twist in them that will need to addressed before installation. I have managed to take out some twist but I really dont reccomend my method unless you have done body work before. You won't be able to adjust this problem out, the doors are twisted and will need re-worked to fit.

That is the same thing that happend to me? took the doors to the body shop with out

the car and when i put the doors on the car the bottoms stuck out a half inch!!

I reworked one door but it was so much work i just left the other door alone and used a

bigger seal. Good luck Paul from Albany NY.

To: pvcj@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20424] Re: Amphicar door installation
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 11:51:59 -0400

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tedredamphi
Thanks,
TedSounds like your bodyshop has some free re-work to do. Appears the doors were not mocked up (test fit) on the car during repairs before paint. They have a twist in them that will need to addressed before installation. I have managed to take out some twist but I really dont reccomend my method unless you have done body work before. You won't be able to adjust this problem out, the doors are twisted and will need re-worked to fit.

Canadian four amphs

Amphicar Expert
This subject has been on the lovers before,, Same reason, As John said.

DOORS MUST BE BUILT UP ON THE CAR!

on the car that they belong, there is even differences form car to car, these were not made on a standard assembly line but more of a one one one process.
GORD.

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
My driver's side door and opening had no work at all done on them by my body shop so I can't figure out why that door doesn't fit. The passenger door just had a new fiberglass skin installed and it fits fairly good. Guess I'll have to kick my bodyman's butt - ME!!!
Later,
Ted

Question...is the rear part of the Amphicar doors supposed to be out a little for normal land driving, and then come in and align with the body perfectly when the lower water locks are latched?

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
Question...is the rear part of the Amphicar doors supposed to be out a little for normal land driving, and then come in and align with the body perfectly when the lower water locks are latched?

No, the door should be snug either way. The door locks are not designed to pull it tighter as commonly thought, they are only intended to avoid accidental opening of the doors while swimming.