Air in Brakes

quarterwarrior

Gold Subscriber
I just bought my first Amphicar and when i got it, the brakes do not work. It has been restored and they worked before. It only has 3 miles on it after the restoration. i have bled them and i cannot stop getting air. More in the rear than the front, but even the front i cannot stop getting air. Even after all the bleeding, the peddle goes to the floor. Could it be a bad Master? Does anyone know who works on Amphicar in NH? Thanks for the help, Dan

dougklink

Sure sounds like a bad master cylinder. I installed a dual master cylinder on mine during restoration for safety, if you need to rebuild or replaced yours and that wasn't done you might consider it. VW van unit.

LSolheim

Known issue is o-ring in master cylinder getting a twist which allows fluid to bypass. Acts like air in lines, but often pedal will be hard with sudden hard press, but move to the floor under steady, easy pressure.
BTW, Amphi brakes bleed much easier w/ a pressure bleeder rather than with a vacuum pump or requiring the (disgruntled) partner on pedal duty.
Good luck

quarterwarrior

Gold Subscriber
Thanks, if it is the O-Ring, is it inside the Master and does the master still need to be replaced to repair? Thanks again.